What Are The Chances Of Getting Extorted By Thai Customs, If I Bring In A 1.75 L Bottle Of Booze?

sam3384

I usually buy 2 or 3 liters on the plane and 1 at King Power when I arrive to stock my bar at home. I usually only travel with a back pack with my laptop in it when I am going back and forth between the States and Thailand so I have never been asked to put my bag through the xray.

The OP has a choice. He can either risk it and very likely he'll get away with it. If he does get caught he's in a world of financial pain all for the sake of some booze which he could probably have bought as cheaply in Thailand anyway.

OP, Attempting to import a quantity of liquor only slightly in excess of the limit is not a big deal, especially not in Thailand. If I were you, I probably wouldn't have even asked this question but I guess it depends on how well we know Thailand.

In general, you won't get stopped by customs anyway, unless you are carrying a whole lot of luggage, are very nervous or there was a tip-off that you may be attempting to bring in a prohibited item. I have only been stopped once after all these years and I was carrying a lot of luggage then.

Of course it's best to be legal, but when it comes to a slightly higher than allowed quantity of alcohol, you really shouldn't be making a big deal. The worst that could happen is confiscation of the excess or even the whole amount. In the past, I have also brought in two or three bottles of wine and there was no problem, even when I was carrying them in my Sydney airport duty free bag, clearly visible to the customs officers!

I agree 100%. I just wanted to learn about other people's experiences. With my experiences dealing with Thai Authorities a small bribe can usually turn the wheels of justice in your favor. But some of the horror stories about being fined 400% the amount of the item makes me err on the side of caution.

The OP has a choice. He can either risk it and very likely he'll get away with it. If he does get caught he's in a world of financial pain all for the sake of some booze which he could probably have bought as cheaply in Thailand anyway.

Agreed. Like I stated in my last two posts I think I will just stick to the 1 L Bottle.

Thanks again very much to everyone's feedback. Although I think Tomtomtom69 is right on the ball on this one, the consequences of getting stopped is grave and not worth the reward.

First you talk about a 1.75L bottle and then you talk about a 1L and some smaller bottles, totaling 1.75L.

If you bring in a 1.75L bottle nobody would be bothered, not even the customs.

If you bring in different bottles, totaling 1.75L you may have a problem.

BUT, as other posters state: You know the rules so why try to avoid them?

First you talk about a 1.75L bottle and then you talk about a 1L and some smaller bottles, totaling 1.75L.

If you bring in a 1.75L bottle nobody would be bothered, not even the customs.

If you bring in different bottles, totaling 1.75L you may have a problem.

BUT, as other posters state: You know the rules so why try to avoid them?

Although I agree with your statement in theory, you do understand that I still could get fined and have the item confiscated.

In my humble opinion, I just think it depends on the mood of the customs officials and whether your arrival is during peak hours.

If it's been a slow month, than I might get nailed hard.

I will arrive at midnight and thus it's more likely I will get picked out to get my baggage scanned. If I arrived during noon time I might just have gone through with the original plan.

Edited by sam3384