Thailand Frees The Heart?

autonomous_unit

Thailand Frees the Heart?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

... Let me remind you something, This is Thailand, not your happy Farang land in a box..where one life is expected despite the dynamic human nature of the heart.

This is sufficiently off topic that I guess it deserves its own... the preceding quote is a great example, and not the only instance, of what I find a strange attitude expressed by some expats and visitors.

What makes someone leave the West and come to Thailand to be "free"? Isn't this just a transparent excuse to change your behavior in a way that you could have done anywhere? What about Thailand helps people lose their inhibitions on landing here? Is it just the culture shock of being a fish out of water? Or do you need separation to ignore the people of the West and be happy? Not to pick on greenwanderer108, but what is it about embracing the dynamic human nature of the heart that requires relocating half-way around the world?

I have seen plenty of people living very uninhibited lives in the US in every major city, and all over California. I've seen people living uninhibited lives in cheap co-ops in Berkeley and expensive houses in Santa Monica. I've also known people who have decided to "go off the grid" in New Mexico, Colorado or Montana. Likewise, there are ski bums or surfers who practice minimalist or itinerant living in cheap rentals and friendly couches, much like the "oil workers" on this board who work for a while and then go somewhere else to really live.

Obviously, there are people who like the climate, geography, and/or culture of Thailand. But what would make someone think they have to come here to be free? There are "cheap" places in the rural West where someone can get away from it all and live without much expense. There are also places to indulge all the sex and drug urges people associate with Thailand, and without the risks. (These indulgences are not capital offences in the West.) So, what makes it free?

I hope to see some interesting answers, particularly from older folks. I'm admittedly young, and only know as much about Thailand as I've learned in the past eight years since I first met my wife.

A very common mistake foreigners make when they first turn up in Thailand is to assume that because they are unable to pick up on or recognize the local social rules, they then go on to assume no local rules apply - or at least none they need concern themselves with. (Well beyond not saying bad things about certain people and not touching peoples heads.... "Oh these Thais are easy to get along with").

They then mistake this state of mind as freedom from something: the rat race, the pressures of life back home, relationship problems … the list is as long as you want to make it.

At some point it either occurs to our happy expat, that there are rules that need to be followed and that this is all part of enjoying a happy balanced life.

Or they conversely get themselves into ever deeper problems, running from one mess to another.

Thailand does of course come with many freedoms and privileges, but they do not come without some measure of responsibility.

For me...Thailand is the motherland---the maternal roots of my ancestors. Thus, initially Thailand was about exploring my roots, spirituality, and myself. So I came here not for sex and holiday, but for family-spiritual intentions. Over the years (going on 5), I find myself content with Thailand as my home.

Being born and raised American, however, I embarked to Thailand as an outsider, just like the next foreigner speaking minimal Thai with completely different mannerisms/outlook than the Thais.

I believe Thailand is a romantic, mysterious, frontier for many foreigners to explore life, love, and everything else from a new pair of spectacles: A place that has challenged many of our existing values and beliefs. Humans like challenges...especially ones that are exotic, abnormal, and unpredictable.

Also I think many foreigners feel less lonely here. The social structure of Thailand provides many outlets and opportunities for fulfilling relationships and experiences. i.e. brother/sisterhood, kinship, etc.

Finally, I think the social stratification is a key factor.. Many farangs back in the west are just normal joes/janes/blokes/dames on a clock-in/out career watching the days go by. In Thailand, all of a sudden, we've got special status. However illusionary this 'status' may be, it's something new and driving. Social mobility is within our peripheral vision.