12-Year-Old Thai Girl In Coma After Future Park Rangsit Escalator Accident

webfact

I have overseen installation of escalators in the US and the safety requirements are very stringent and result in a lot of automatic stoppages that require resetting with a key. This can be quite a burden with children allowed to play on them and people taking baby carriages and such on them. In working in the industry you find the true extent of just how dangerous they are...especially in comparison to elevators. Tendency is to defeat some of these features by operators and many countries do not require all safety features. Children are killed or maimed beyond many imaginations and photos are horrendous.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why escalators usually have a sign saying that children should be accompanied by an adult.

Well. Wait for it. Considering how old future park is, i wouldn't be surprised if the guards on tgd escalator were missing or some other problem.

Regardless of the age of Future Park, the escalators are all in good condition and I have rarely seen a "guard" around them. Normally people riding on these people movers don't allow their hair to come in contact with the moving steps. This was a rare accident,sad indeed, but IMHO hardly negligence on the part of F.P. I hope she recovers soon.

As i said lets see.

Walking around most shopping centres u can find pinch points and gaps betwesn railings that would be eliminated by elf and safety. One kid broke an arm going up an escalator here because of hiw tge escalator hand rail moved passes tge solid balustrade. I noticed the day the place opened.

Here these issues are eliminated by Darwinism.

Please clarify what "elf and safety" is. Sounds a bit fairy tale-ish to me.

Nuuu, Hai reo reo.....

Before security guards could stop the escalator, Nuanprae passed out. That's so scary and I feel so bad that this has happened. We all know how good and fast those security guards are.

Nuuu, Hai reo reo..... wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

I recall several years ago when the escalator at Victory Monument had just opened. A young woman stood at the foot of the moving stairs trying to figure out how to get on. After a few moments she mounted the stairs and dragged her young daughter behind her. The little girl was terrified. The mother, equally unsure, let loose the hand of the child and gripped the moving hand rail.

The little girl immediately fell backward .... and guess what? Me, the Farang caught the child and guided her up the ramp. This poor upcountry woman had never been on or seen an escalator before. Amazing Thailand.

Well done ThaiGold! You must have been there for a reason...

Did you fully restore the oldtimer? So many better things to talk about than blaming Thailand, long hair or short hair, parents, safety guards, etc. for mishaps that happen all over the world and also in those "civilized" countries...

Btw... question to all those civilized "but Western standards say that..." guys: Does "civilisation" automatically mean you have to eradicate the native population in a country that is about to be "civilized"? Just asking...

Edited by catweazle

This is why escalators usually have a sign saying that children should be accompanied by an adult.

Well. Wait for it. Considering how old future park is, i wouldn't be surprised if the guards on tgd escalator were missing or some other problem.

Regardless of the age of Future Park, the escalators are all in good condition and I have rarely seen a "guard" around them. Normally people riding on these people movers don't allow their hair to come in contact with the moving steps. This was a rare accident,sad indeed, but IMHO hardly negligence on the part of F.P. I hope she recovers soon.

As i said lets see.

Walking around most shopping centres u can find pinch points and gaps betwesn railings that would be eliminated by elf and safety. One kid broke an arm going up an escalator here because of hiw tge escalator hand rail moved passes tge solid balustrade. I noticed the day the place opened.

If had 1 baht for every hazardous area I've seen or have come in contact with whilst in Thailand, I would be a Billionaire in dollars..

Edited by Mike West

One question I have is why the "Thai" girl designation in the title of this thread. Is that of any relevance?

I am sure they didn't mean any offense to anyone, it is so people know the nationality of the girl. You see it in news worldwide anyway: "An Australian male was" "A Spanish national was" " A Russian tourist was" "A Japanese woman was", etc.. why are you even asking this question?

My hand got partially caught on an escalator between the handrail and the wall as it moved up once in Thailand. I yanked it out but thought afterwards what an ill thought out situation. Sad for the girl and Thailand does need to take a look at these flaws.

Edited by jacko45k

Remove escalators. They make people fat and lazy

They could do that. The result would be no more tall shopping malls, as no one would be bothered to climb up. Which would otherwise be great, but the land in the larger cities is in short supply and they have to build up.

It would be nice to have only low-rise buildings, but then imagine the heavy traffic within a larger area and the resulting carnage from it.

I recall several years ago when the escalator at Victory Monument had just opened. A young woman stood at the foot of the moving stairs trying to figure out how to get on. After a few moments she mounted the stairs and dragged her young daughter behind her. The little girl was terrified. The mother, equally unsure, let loose the hand of the child and gripped the moving hand rail.

The little girl immediately fell backward .... and guess what? Me, the Farang caught the child and guided her up the ramp. This poor upcountry woman had never been on or seen an escalator before. Amazing Thailand.

Well done ThaiGold! You must have been there for a reason...

Did you fully restore the oldtimer? So many better things to talk about than blaming Thailand, long hair or short hair, parents, safety guards, etc. for mishaps that happen all over the world and also in those "civilized" countries...

Btw... question to all those civilized "but Western standards say that..." guys: Does "civilisation" automatically mean you have to eradicate the native population in a country that is about to be "civilized"? Just asking...

At the airport of the moving walkways, I saw a a family moving along together with backpacks. The wife was facing the wrong way talking to her family. As she reached the end I saw what was going to happen and called out to her to turn around, but it was too late. Her heels hit the stop at the end and her momentum sent her crashing onto her back smacking her head onto the metal plate, knocking her unconcious. Of course, in that area, there were the ubiquitous "end of the walkway" voices, but, in the concrete surroundings, with all of the walkways making the sound, it echos through the whole building. It all ends up being a cacophony of constant sound.

Shook the woman and family well and truly up at the start of their holiday.

As i said lets see.

What are you on about?

This can happen to anyone, let alone children.

Last year in hua hin i was going up an escalator and happened to look over the edge

at some thing on that floor and then suddenly looked up and noticed the concrete edge

approaching.

Made me realize how easy it was to get your head trapped.

Sas sad story for the little girl and her family,

Now I understand what happened and obviously what could happen. Lean over the railing and get whacked or stuck or crimped between the cement and the railing or escalator parts. But gee, there does seem to be a pretty good sized glass or plastic partition between the escalator and the cement. But that is only waist high. I can see the girl bending over and looking "under" the overhang to see what was going on. Not sure how long she was there. Assuming the head, neck, etc are not crushed, get a pair of scissors from some store and cut that hair off darn quick.

Just saw a 2 year old had her foot trapped in a Kon Khaen escalator. Couldn't follow it fully (Thai news is a bit too fast for me so allow some room for error) but sounded like she's going to lose her foot or crushed her ankle.

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very sad news. I have noticed a lot more signs on escalators since this unfortunate accident.

Girl injured in Future Park escalator accident dies

A 12-year-old girl who was injured two months ago when her head was caught in an escalator at a mall in Pathum Thani has died.

Her hair got entangled in an escalator at Future Park Rangsit when she bent down to watch a show on the second floor of the mall, and her head got stuck when the escalator ascended to the third floor.

She was rushed to a hospital in Pathum Thani and later – while in a coma – she was transferred to Bangkok Hospital for treatment of a blood clot in her brain, the Nation reported.

The mall’s marketing director Rattana Ananthanaphong said that Future Park Rangsit had paid for her medical expenses. Rattana told media that the girl’s mother had informed her that she had died on Friday.

coconutsbangkok (November 11, 2012 1:00 am)