Thai Airways 'drop' Koh Samui

Well before you make another comment, read my post. Might be too hard, so will explain it again. The route will now be serviced by Thai's new venture, Thai Smile. Thai Airways not abandoning the island.

Thank you Rooo!

Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand the details.

As far as I know, the airport on Samui is OWNED by Bangkok Airways since they start buying the land in secret back in the 80's and constructed the airstrip and buildings.

They had, in fact, the monopoly.

Later Thai Airways was also allowed to fly on Samui.

I understand that this has now changed into Thai Smile.

But what about BKK Airways?

I thought I read something about selling a part of their shares or even an IPO in the future?

Do you mind to explain a little further since I didn't follow every post and link about BKK Airways and there's so much about them that it's like walking in a coconut plantation but you can't find the coconuts anymore laugh.png

I will look for you, but they did raise some money for building the new terminal.Give me some time.

OK, Thank you thumbsup.gif

In the meantime I found this*, confirming the plans to raise money -Baht 10 Billion- via the IPO route; they may also bring up to 40% of their shares for growth, expansion in fleet and hangars according to Dr. Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth.

Personally I think he's ready to cash a bit from the baby he launched: Bangkok Airways, formerly Sahakol Air back in 1968, but transformed into Bangkok Airways in 1986 and which he expanded into a quite an important airline in the region but didn't cash in since it wasn't exactly a cash cow for the family.

But the good Dr (former Surgeon) made his fortune already from a stake in hospital operator Bangkok Dusit Medical Services**

* http://www.aviationn...ms-ipo-in-2013/

But those articles do not -yet- answer my puzzle as to WHY BKK Airways stops flying on their own airport on Samui blink.png

** http://www.forbes.co...Osoth_V6W5.html

Edited by LaoPo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But those articles do not -yet- answer my puzzle as to WHY BKK Airways stops flying on their own airport on Samui blink.png

You mean Thai airways?

You mean Thai airways?

blink.pngsad.png Oh sorry, you're right; I'm totally confused about all these airlines' stuff.

I completely misread and misinterpreted the Headline of the topic and it settled in my poortongue.png overloaded brain as Bangkok Airways, instead Thai Airways.

My fault and thank you for your sharpness! thumbsup.gif

Unforgivable; I'm now praying for my dumb sins wai.gif

• Like 2

Easily done to be fair. I went back and reread the thread because in this land of crazy things happening it could of in fact been true.

Samui Breaking News (SBN network): Boutique airline Bangkok airways drops all flights to its own airport after increasing its own landing costs. A spokeman was seen arguing with himself and repeatedly punching himself in the face when we visited the head office.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

My mistake shows we all have to be humble.............sometimes laugh.png

Edited by LaoPo
  • Like 1

I heard about this 6 months ago. If correct then it's bad news for the tourist industry on Samui.

Thai Airways started flying to Samui (2 flights per day) so they could link up with there International flights. It was easy for customers to book a ticket all the way through to Samui.

Bangkok Airways are really starving the Island of Tourists with there RIP OFF service.

Phuket locals & expats must be laughting their heads off at Samui.

Did you read the previous post?biggrin.png

Yes but it's just too boring!bah.gif

Well before you make another comment, read my post. Might be too hard, so will explain it again. The route will now be serviced by Thai's new venture, Thai Smile. Thai Airways not abandoning the island.

Sorry If my Comments are not politically correct but i've just been on Thai Smile Airways website and guess what....Koh Samui is not on the flight schedule!

Still no luck.....just tried to book a flight from BBK to Samui on www.thaismileair.com. Can only get as far as Suratthani!

I book through Thai Air as normal:Look at the first line, Review your flight details legend *****.OPERATED BY THAI SMILE******.

Search Dates Flights Review Travellers Purchase Complete Review your flight details

• Legend:
  • e = e-ticket option,T-smile_icon1.jpg Operated by THAI Smile,
  • THB = Thai Baht

Koh Samui to Bangkok Flight 1 Friday, February 08, 2013 Departure: 09:30 Koh Samui, Thailand - Koh Samui Arrival: 10:35 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG282 e Aircraft: Boeing 737-400 Cabin Class: Economy Restricted Bangkok to Koh Samui Flight 1 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 Departure: 07:45 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Arrival: 08:50 Koh Samui, Thailand - Koh Samui Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG281 e Aircraft: Boeing 737-400 Cabin Class: Economy Restricted

As far as I can see everything is the same with Thai Air, they are still operating out of Samui booking etc..., but using their subsidiaries planes, same as code share.

Still no luck.....just tried to book a flight from BBK to Samui on www.thaismileair.com. Can only get as far as Suratthani!

I book through Thai Air as normal:Look at the first line, Review your flight details legend *****.OPERATED BY THAI SMILE******.

Search Dates Flights Review Travellers Purchase Complete Review your flight details

• Legend:
  • e = e-ticket option,T-smile_icon1.jpg Operated by THAI Smile,
  • THB = Thai Baht

Koh Samui to Bangkok Flight 1 Friday, February 08, 2013 Departure: 09:30 Koh Samui, Thailand - Koh Samui Arrival: 10:35 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG282 e Aircraft: Boeing 737-400 Cabin Class: Economy Restricted Bangkok to Koh Samui Flight 1 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 Departure: 07:45 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Arrival: 08:50 Koh Samui, Thailand - Koh Samui Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG281 e Aircraft: Boeing 737-400 Cabin Class: Economy Restricted

Yeap, your correct. Thanks for the infothumbsup.gif

I have lived and worked on Phuket before Samui and this is Lamai during last high season, you can't see beach chairs, but there are some

Photo0098-1.jpg?t=1335146779

if you say Phuket has everything that Samui does you clearly have no sense of the world we are living in

Nice Photo

[

Anything which keeps the tourists away is good in my book.

Sorry, but that is a pretty parochial view.

No tourists means

No hospitals except Nathon and it was pretty basic only having to serve 20xxx locals

No 7/11's or Familymarts

No Makro, Big C, Tesco, Calibri, Choice Foods, All Star etc etc

Mama Pap shops selling ,ilk/bread etc well past its sell by date

No Airport

Worse infrastructure (no tarmac roads, bigger and better pot holes, shixxy drains and more floods EVERY time it rains)

Cruppy internet and telephone system (six months for a telephone line if you are lucky)

Only two ATM machines on the island

No taxis - just unlicenced and uninsured private cars who charged todays prices 12 years ago or songthows (in some areas)

Car hire - Suzuki jeeps or the occasional truck (no cars or automatic scooters)

No fresh bread - unless you stayed in a big hotel, and there were not many

All commerce and bill paying had to happen in Nathon

More frequent power cuts and water shortages

But hey - the beaches were empty (and dirty - no one cleaned them)

and you did not have to queue in a restaurant.

I remember 3 ATMs

Mean the 'stoked' expansion of tourism.

Up until 1999 there was just the one International ATM on all of Samui - in Nathon. (There was another one in Chaweng but only taking internal Thai ATM cards . . . and there may have been others, but only the one in Nathon would take international credit/debit cards: people used to make weekly trips over from KPG just to use it.)

R

yup,

and in monsoon season get stuck there with only the clothes on your back.

the only reason i visited samui in those days was to get cash

I heard about the thai airways drop as well from at least 3 other websites, although no much detail as to why but only a few speculations from other posts I read

1. Landing charge was increased from 3,000 USD to 5,000 USD

2. Thai airways is reducing its airline fleet and the only airplanes that can land on samui they are getting rid of

3. Political issue / corruption to get them out of the bangkok - samui route

If there is a particular reason that thai airways is dropping the route I wonder before how long if silk air, firefly quit flying here as well, after all bangkok airways own the airport and can literally do whatever they want

About time that the government bought the airport and extended the runway !

Why

To stop the Bandit Airways monopoly duhhhn !

onl,y one way to stop a manoloply that uis for people to stop using their services as they are all about profit. and the profit comes from us the customers

problem is that tourists do not really care and shall fly here for 2 wees and then go if they can afford it.