British Curry On The Dark Side

Jayman

Please educate us northerners what the dark side is and why it's called such?

The "Darkside" refers to the area of Pattaya east of Sukhumvit, so called because many years ago there was little there and a definite lack of street lighting, how times change, it is now home to the vast majority of resident/long term Pattaya expats.

Only just over Sukhumvit but a world away from the tourist mayhem of Pattaya!!!.

Must be an OK part of town, if you can get a decent British Curry.

Yes luke.. come join the dark side.

Mind you I thought Pattaya was the dark side.wink.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Darkside" refers to the area of Pattaya east of Sukhumvit, so called because many years ago there was little there and a definite lack of street lighting, how times change, it is now home to the vast majority of resident/long term Pattaya expats.

Only just over Sukhumvit but a world away from the tourist mayhem of Pattaya!!!.

Must be an OK part of town, if you can get a decent British Curry.

Yes luke.. come join the dark side.

Mind you I thought Pattaya was the dark side.wink.png

no, Pattaya is the dirty side. wink.png

• Like 1

Just received the full menu for anyone that is interested.

Indian & Multi Cuisine Restaurant Menu.pdf

Guide to location please. Khao Noi is a very long road. Thanks.

There seems to be no raita listed on the menu. This is an unfortunate recent trend with Indian restaurants around here. Not sure why.

Its pretty much halfway between Khao Talo and Sukhumvit. Coming down from Khao Talo it is on the right, just after the 7-11 Junction near the Mango Bar.

Thanks for the mango bar as reference point got where its now.biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

I've still be eating here on a regular basis and just today Alan mentioned they have added seafood dishes to the menu. Several prawn and fish dishes. He also also expanded his selection of raita and added more vegetarian dishes.

• 8 months later...

Hi, does anyone know if this curry takeaway is still open? Tried the number but it didn't work :( Or if anyone else knows of a British (I do love them) curry takeaways, I would be grateful if you could give me their number or post a link. Thankssmile.png

Hi, does anyone know if this curry takeaway is still open? Tried the number but it didn't work sad.png Or if anyone else knows of a British (I do love them) curry takeaways, I would be grateful if you could give me their number or post a link. Thankssmile.png

....................its closed down wink.png

There is a curry shop on Soi Diana....opposite the end of Soi Honey, that used to be ok.....havnt been for a while though.

Also noticed Friendship and Foodland have started stocking frozen curries.

Hi, does anyone know if this curry takeaway is still open? Tried the number but it didn't work sad.png Or if anyone else knows of a British (I do love them) curry takeaways, I would be grateful if you could give me their number or post a link. Thankssmile.png

There is a curry shop on Soi Diana....opposite the end of Soi Honey, that used to be ok.....havnt been for a while though.

This is a frustratingly common occurrence on the Darkside, someone opens up a small shophoise Resto and its not too bad but it closes within 6 months to a year. I guess it's very hard to get a following or these guys are way undercapitalized. It's a shame really. Like I see some fella is just opening up a Greek place on NPW and I wonder how long it will be there.

This is a frustratingly common occurrence on the Darkside, someone opens up a small shophoise Resto and its not too bad but it closes within 6 months to a year. I guess it's very hard to get a following or these guys are way undercapitalized. It's a shame really. Like I see some fella is just opening up a Greek place on NPW and I wonder how long it will be there.

That is a shame :( I searched for a British curry takeaway and this site was what I found. First night in Thailand last night and had planned wine and a takeaway curry, I am addicted unfortunately!! Will try that one on Soi Diana, hopefully sat nav will know where it is lol

What is Freindship and Foodland? Like I said only arrived yesterday so all completely new to me! Don't suppose you know where I can get Indian spices and Brit food from? Have looked in big C, Tesco Lotus and Makro but there is hardly any and what else I see I have no idea what it issad.png

"Like I see some fella is just opening up a Greek place on NPW and I wonder how long it will be there. "

Went looking for it today. Not open yet - met the guy who says he will be serving food from Thurs. Seems like a nice bloke. I'm looking forward to some souvlaki, tzatziki etc - and raki (got s-faced on that stuff on Plakias beach on Crete about 32 years ago.

"Like I see some fella is just opening up a Greek place on NPW and I wonder how long it will be there. "

Went looking for it today. Not open yet - met the guy who says he will be serving food from Thurs. Seems like a nice bloke. I'm looking forward to some souvlaki, tzatziki etc - and raki (got s-faced on that stuff on Plakias beach on Crete about 32 years ago.

Thanks for the update. I too love Greek food and hope the food is good (for Thailand) and the place gets a following. However, the location is pretty obscure so I'm not holding my breath.

This is a frustratingly common occurrence on the Darkside, someone opens up a small shophoise Resto and its not too bad but it closes within 6 months to a year. I guess it's very hard to get a following or these guys are way undercapitalized. It's a shame really.

You dont think it's simply because they are overpriced and are poor value (just like all the other Indian places in town) and so no one goes there (just like all the other Indian places in town)?

I always wonder about paying 300B for an Indian curry meal here when you can get the Thai equivalent for 100B. It's not as if the Indian places use more expensive ingredients.

I always wonder about paying 300B for an Indian curry meal here when you can get the Thai equivalent for 100B. It's not as if the Indian places use more expensive ingredients.

Can't argue with that. Thais are happier serving 100 customers at 100 baht a head than ten at 300

After reading the rave reviews on the khaonoi curry joint, I took my family there.

We were surprised at how awful the food was .

I asked the Indian guy who did the cooking.

He told me it was his Phillipina wife..... <deleted>????

In all likelihood, HIS cooking would have been a whole lot better than HERS...and HER waitressing would have been much better than HIS.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did

After reading the rave reviews on the khaonoi curry joint, I took my family there.

We were surprised at how awful the food was .

I asked the Indian guy who did the cooking.

He told me it was his Phillipina wife..... <deleted>????

In all likelihood, HIS cooking would have been a whole lot better than HERS...and HER waitressing would have been much better than HIS.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did

I thought it closed months ago?

Edited by Orac

Oh dear, reading all the comments looks like I will have to cook my own all the time. I have to agree, Indian curry is the best.

I did find a shop that sold the spices I need so was happy with that. Time to get cooking I thinkcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Yes unfortunately he closed months ago. Just don't think they could survive with the few customers they had. Really too bad since the food was good and very reasonable.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I noticed that the restaurant in Foodland had some reasonably priced (150-200B) Indian meals the other day and the pictures and descriptions seemed interesting. I will go back and try them at some point.

Found Foodland today so sat down and had their samosas. We really enjoyed them. They were cheap but very tasty. Wouldn't exactly call the menu Indian, there were around 6 things I think and it is nothing like going to a restaurant, but if you are there and fancy a very nice snack then I would recommend them.

I noticed that the restaurant in Foodland had some reasonably priced (150-200B) Indian meals the other day and the pictures and descriptions seemed interesting. I will go back and try them at some point.

Found Foodland today so sat down and had their samosas. We really enjoyed them. They were cheap but very tasty. Wouldn't exactly call the menu Indian, there were around 6 things I think and it is nothing like going to a restaurant, but if you are there and fancy a very nice snack then I would recommend them.

Do they think they actually make their own samosas and curries? I find so many places in town having some Indian dishes just buy them in frozen.

The menu certainly isnt all Indian but it did contain some interesting-looking Indian items that were more than just a dish of curry. More like a Thali really. You rarely get any Indian food outside of an Indian restaurant here so I was quite surprised to see it.

I also noticed a couple of Chinese dishes that are very tasty when done properly and so I will be interested to try them also. In fact they had quite a few interesting and fairly unusual things from various ethnic origins.

I had Eggs Benedict (complete with an apostrophe) and they were very good, though the muffin they came on would have been a little bland on its own.

Do they think they actually make their own samosas and curries? I find so many places in town having some Indian dishes just buy them in frozen.

My bet is that the samosas and such-like come from Makro. I doubt that the cafe in Foodland would sell enough of them to warrant making them fresh. I wouldnt be at all surprised if Indian places here bought them from Makro also; many Chinese places here (especially the western-style Chinese places) certainly get a lot of their dimsum type things there. I think I've seen Makro frozen dimsum in the Hilton too.

That said, the Makro frozen things generally aren't bad at all and are reasonably priced.

As for the curries, I got the impression from the menu that they might actually be made by the cafe.

Thanks for the update. I too love Greek food and hope the food is good (for Thailand) and the place gets a following. However, the location is pretty obscure so I'm not holding my breath.

Finally got to go there today - it's right up the far end of ngern plub wan on the left. It's called Alexandros Greek Taverna. Bit of a fancy name for a restaurant in a basic shophouse. Didn't get the owner's name, but he's a typical friendly Greek - charming guy. I went with a friend who had souvlaki, which he really enjoyed. We both had Greek salad - the usual thing with feta cheese, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, olives, olive oil etc. Must say it went down well. But then only a hamfisted idiot like me can mess up a salad. I also had tzatziki, which was very tasty. The guy said he makes the yoghurt himself, plus grows his own cucumbers as well as tomatoes. Plus he makes his own bread. Cool. He also treated us to a dish made of split peas, kinda like that other stuff made with chick peas (can't think of the name right now). And then he treated us to a bowl of dessert made with yoghurt and peach jam. Bill came to about 250 baht (with a soft drink). Now, I'm no gourmand - just as happy with a hamburger and chips as with a Kobe steak. But this was nice. As with the guy who makes Mediterranean food in the Big C South food hall, and the French guy whose rrestaurant is just a little way along from the closed down Indian place on khao Noi, This place will be a regular weekly visit for me. Be nice if he keeps going as there's so little variety of cuisines on the darkside.

Cheers,

Wit.

Finally got to go there today - it's right up the far end of ngern plub wan on the left. It's called Alexandros Greek Taverna. Bit of a fancy name for a restaurant in a basic shophouse. Didn't get the owner's name, but he's a typical friendly Greek - charming guy. I went with a friend who had souvlaki, which he really enjoyed. We both had Greek salad - the usual thing with feta cheese, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, olives, olive oil etc. Must say it went down well. But then only a hamfisted idiot like me can mess up a salad. I also had tzatziki, which was very tasty. The guy said he makes the yoghurt himself, plus grows his own cucumbers as well as tomatoes. Plus he makes his own bread. Cool. He also treated us to a dish made of split peas, kinda like that other stuff made with chick peas (can't think of the name right now). And then he treated us to a bowl of dessert made with yoghurt and peach jam. Bill came to about 250 baht (with a soft drink). Now, I'm no gourmand - just as happy with a hamburger and chips as with a Kobe steak. But this was nice. As with the guy who makes Mediterranean food in the Big C South food hall, and the French guy whose rrestaurant is just a little way along from the closed down Indian place on khao Noi, This place will be a regular weekly visit for me. Be nice if he keeps going as there's so little variety of cuisines on the darkside.

Cheers,

Wit.

Thanks for the informative review. I hope to get around to giving the place a try this week. Sounds like he has an interesting menu. I just hope he keeps the quality up and gets a following. I should probably add this place to the Darkside restaurant thread as this is a thread on curries on the Darkside.

Additional directions for anyone interested: it's about 100 meters or so on the sukhumvit side of the Pussy Cat bar, same side, on NPW.

Recieved an email earlier in regards to another matter but the person says he will be back in town next week his email mentions something about CurryTastic, Soi Khao Noi.

A new curry shop on the darkside perhaps ?

He also treated us to a dish made of split peas, kinda like that other stuff made with chick peas (can't think of the name right now).

The chick-pea one is usually hummus.

The yellow split-pea version is generally called favosalata.

The Greeks do other similar pureed bean things also.