British Curry On The Dark Side

Jayman

A new curry spot has opening on Soi Khao Noi and I stopped in for a curry last night. It was decent. The owner tells me it's not as much Indian style and more British style. I know that some of you guys prefer this so I figured I'd post the menu. They open at 730am and close at like 11pm and do have delivery. The prices are reasonable and I only had the Chicken Tikka Marsala so I'm hardly an expert on this place. I have had much better curry at the more Indian based spots in Pattaya but for the price and convenience I will be trying more of his dishes.

post-32036-0-07828700-1347253767_thumb.j

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question.

I eat seldom Indian food and I will explain my reason,please correct me if I'm wrong.

I sometimes like to have a mussaman kai with yellow rice, which I think is comparable with a chicken curry with rice at an Indian restaurant.I know one is red curry while the other is yellow curry but that is just a taste.

Now if i have really bad luck the Mussaman kai will cost me 60 Baht, while the indian chicken curry will cost me 150 Baht if I'm lucky.

Why do so many posters onhere prefer to pay a premium for a similar food item?

Had the butter chicken for lunch today and really enjoyed it.

Also noticed they have a full menu for English breakfast and a few sandwiches.

i thought i would take the plunge after your reviews and have just ordered that very item .........

By all means come back and let us know your opinion on it. I'm not saying they have the best Indian curry in town but they are decent for the price and convenience.

Just a question.

I eat seldom Indian food and I will explain my reason,please correct me if I'm wrong.

I sometimes like to have a mussaman kai with yellow rice, which I think is comparable with a chicken curry with rice at an Indian restaurant.I know one is red curry while the other is yellow curry but that is just a taste.

Now if i have really bad luck the Mussaman kai will cost me 60 Baht, while the indian chicken curry will cost me 150 Baht if I'm lucky.

Thai curry and indian curry are in no way comparable. Also, the indian curry I order uses chicken tikka where as thai curry uses boiled chicken. If Indian restaurants were as common as Thai restaurants then I'm sure you'd find the indian curry prices would be cheaper. Many Thai restaurants will charge 150thb for a curry which is what I'm paying for the Indian curry. Of course you can find cheaper thai food places as this is Thailand after all.

Edited by Jayman

So which Indian curry places in central Pattaya do you like?

I agree Thai curries and Indian curries are not comparable including Massaman, but I also feel the typical prices for Indian curries in town like 350 baht for a lamb rogan josh with a few slivers of mutton are certainly not even close to good value.

Edited by Jingthing

Just a question.

You really don't know the difference between a thai curry and an indian curry?

Blimey.

Just a question.

Blimey.

Maybe you can enlighten me as to what justifies the 5 fold price tag.

Just a question.

Blimey.

Maybe you can enlighten me as to what justifies the 5 fold price tag.

I don't see much thais in indian restaurants, and as it seems many farangs never start to think in baht and keep comparing prices with back home.. "oh man it's only 10 bucks" :whistling:

• Like 1

So which Indian curry places in central Pattaya do you like?

I agree Thai curries and Indian curries are not comparable including Massaman, but I also feel the typical prices for Indian curries in town like 350 baht for a lamb rogan josh with a few slivers of mutton are certainly not even close to good value.

I very much like the curries at Madras Darbar (opposite central festival) They are by far my favorite curry spot. As well, Alibaba has good curry (but high prices). I have been eating there more since I have the 500thb vouchers from freeplayo. The 500thb voucher is enough for me to leave full (I go alone) and satisfied.

I also enjoyed that place in the S Pattaya curry district that you recommended. The name alludes me (something with "touch" in the name I think)

I should mention that I am much more the chicken or paneer guy than lamb so my experience on good lamb curries is lacking.

As this place in the OP is only a minute away from me and the prices are reasonable I will continue trying the menu when in the mood. I end up spending about 200thb for a meal there and that is about what I'd spend to have a small pizza delivered. I find that reasonable. Of course I'm fortunate enough to be married to a great cook and I am blessed with wonderful Thai curried whenever I want them.

edit: I wanted to add that I think this new spot is better food and value than the other curry spot close to Soi Nernplubwan (Curry house I think is the name). Also that other spot is run out of someones home and so only take out is available and the prices seem high considering they run it out of their house. So far the quality at this new spot seems better. Both are equally as close to me but I have not found myself eating at the old spot very much where as the new spot I have eaten there 3 times in the past few days.

Edited by Jayman

Today I had the chicken roganjosh which I enjoyed. I am noticing that the the curries seem to be quite oily. Perhaps that is because I am taking them home and they have time to separate in the container. I end up pouring out the oil off the top.

Do British curries tend to be more oily?

Today I had the chicken roganjosh which I enjoyed. I am noticing that the the curries seem to be quite oily. Perhaps that is because I am taking them home and they have time to separate in the container. I end up pouring out the oil off the top.

ok i am no jingthing when it comes to reviews (i expect someone will agree with that in response to this post)

however, last night i drove from Mapbrachan lake to koh noi and took away , x2 chicken pakora, x2 onion bahji, x6 popadoms, butter chicken, chicken vindaloo and chicken tikka masala all with pilau rice

cost was 790 baht

all were very tasty , and no delhi belly this morning

the boss was pleasant, eager to please and in my opinion deserves to succeed

i think its much better than the one on on nung plab wan near the muslim school and the one on siam country club near SP5

it was well worth the drive and i will go again

oh and, thanks to Jayman for high lighting this little gem........

i think a good British curry should have a small film of oil on top - it is great for dipping your nan bread in. But if there is too much oil, it becomes sickly.

i think a good British curry should have a small film of oil on top - it is great for dipping your nan bread in. But if there is too much oil, it becomes sickly.

Thank you for that clarification. It's certainly not sickly and I love to dip the chapati in the curry but it just doesn't look so healthy. It's still quite tasty and I'll probably order yet again tomorrow.

Thank you for that clarification. It's certainly not sickly and I love to dip the chapati in the curry but it just doesn't look so healthy. It's still quite tasty and I'll probably order yet again tomorrow.

I don't think indian food is the healthiest in the world. I believe indian people have the highest rates of heart disease, but there is also a genetic element to that. I have been to the kitchens of two British indian restaurants, and they do put a lot of oil in their dishes.

Just received the full menu for anyone that is interested.

Indian & Multi Cuisine Restaurant Menu.pdf

Guide to location please. Khao Noi is a very long road. Thanks.

There seems to be no raita listed on the menu. This is an unfortunate recent trend with Indian restaurants around here. Not sure why.

Its pretty much halfway between Khao Talo and Sukhumvit. Coming down from Khao Talo it is on the right, just after the 7-11 Junction near the Mango Bar.

Just received the full menu for anyone that is interested.

Indian & Multi Cuisine Restaurant Menu.pdf

Guide to location please. Khao Noi is a very long road. Thanks.

There seems to be no raita listed on the menu. This is an unfortunate recent trend with Indian restaurants around here. Not sure why.

Just ask for it. The owner (alan) seems to be quite ready to please and I'm sure if they can make it for you they will.

So I just went to the curry spot to pick up my lunch (chicken vindaloo) and I figured I'd mention the dish that jombom was asking about. I pulled out my phone and pulled up his post and showed him. To which he smiled as said I just put some in with your order for you to try. So, he does make it and although I have no basis of comparison I found it tasty. It is like a creamy cucumber dish.

So if you want something and don't see it on the menu, just ask.

Was very odd that he had already included some in my order just moments before I asked about it. Perhaps he is watching this thread now?

Edited by Jayman

Please educate us northerners what the dark side is and why it's called such?

The "Darkside" refers to the area of Pattaya east of Sukhumvit, so called because many years ago there was little there and a definite lack of street lighting, how times change, it is now home to the vast majority of resident/long term Pattaya expats.

Only just over Sukhumvit but a world away from the tourist mayhem of Pattaya!!!.

The "Darkside" refers to the area of Pattaya east of Sukhumvit, so called because many years ago there was little there and a definite lack of street lighting, how times change, it is now home to the vast majority of resident/long term Pattaya expats.

Only just over Sukhumvit but a world away from the tourist mayhem of Pattaya!!!.

Must be an OK part of town, if you can get a decent British Curry.

Must be an OK part of town, if you can get a decent British Curry.

Yes luke.. come join the dark side.