Thailand: Police Bribe Caught On Video

webfact

Thailand: police bribe caught on video

Anti-corruption campaign sets up Bangkok cop for $12 bribe

Patrick Winn

BANGKOK: -- Back in July, when blogging about a volunteer cop filmed while kicking a couple off a speeding motorbike, I wrote that "police corruption is one of Thailand's most intractable problems.

Roadside shakedowns and abuse are common. But perhaps an army of camera phone-wielding, dashboard video-recording motorists is part of the solution."

The latest contribution to the Thai cops behaving badly on YouTube collection depicts a commonplace payoff to a traffic cop.

This isn't a Rodney King moment in which cameras happen to be running when abuse goes down. This is more like reverse entrapment: a cabbie pulls an illegal U-Turn in a spot known for shakedowns, [more...]

Full story: http://www.globalpos...lice-corruption

-- Global Post 2012-09-10

footer_n.gif

Quite possibly a set up. Not that that is any excuse.

The "motorbikes must ride in the left lane where they can get squished under buses and suddenly stopping taxis" rule is my favourite. I wonder how many LCD TV's I've bought for the local constabulary in recent years due to this farcical law. Unlike most traffic laws which at least serve a purpose (such as preventing U-turns at dangerous places), this one serves solely as an income generator.

What a piece of rubbish video - show me an honest man that wouldn't have taken the bung!!!!

If you do illegal U-turns in the west you get a hefty fine (a lot more than in the video) and it all goes back into the annual policeman's ball - same,same but differentwink.png

• Like 1

The "motorbikes must ride in the left lane where they can get squished under buses and suddenly stopping taxis" rule is my favourite. I wonder how many LCD TV's I've bought for the local constabulary in recent years due to this farcical law. Unlike most traffic laws which at least serve a purpose (such as preventing U-turns at dangerous places), this one serves solely as an income generator.

Agreed, its a crock of u know what. I'm not even sure the law is real, or exists the way the cops enforce it.

For example, if the far left lane is denoted with a dotted line (like parts of Rama 4) then surely a motorbike can be in the middle lane as the left has parked cars, busses etc. However they insist you must be all the way to the left or you pay.

• Like 1

I wish my Thai language skills we good enough to ask the officer about this so called law. It maybe common practice, but It really makes no sense as law. Not that would surprise me for it to actually be a law here. Has anyone who can speak Thai ever asked about this or tried to explain to the officer that it's far more dangerous to stay in the lane where people drive the wrong way and is often blocked by the buses,parked cars, stalled vehicles etc.

I think they count on our ignorance and unwillingness to argue the point.

Why is this post still open and how did it make "The News" here? Obviously a set up. The taxi makes an illegal u-turn and then happens to have 400 baht waiting to pay the cop off. What a load of rubbish.

Why didn't the "Anti Corruption Police" who set up this sting video them arresting the cop and taking him away? No other news about this is there?

Thanks Patrick Winn for this useless piece of news.

What a piece of rubbish video - show me an honest man that wouldn't have taken the bung!!!!

If you do illegal U-turns in the west you get a hefty fine (a lot more than in the video) and it all goes back into the annual policeman's ball - same,same but differentwink.png

Those responsible for this should also be very careful.

It's clear that they have choreographed this situation, and it ended the way they wanted it to, but if any of the police find that their face is identifiable on YouTube, those uploading this kind of stuff had better have an exit plan from Thailand...!!

http://bquot.com/eay

The "enforcement" of this law seems to a bit selective. The law, itself, doesn't single out motorcycles.

Judging by the law, itself, everyone that is slower than the flow of traffic is to keep left. I guess the assumption seems to be that motorcycles are slow.

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

I wish my Thai language skills we good enough to ask the officer about this so called law. It maybe common practice, but It really makes no sense as law. Not that would surprise me for it to actually be a law here. Has anyone who can speak Thai ever asked about this or tried to explain to the officer that it's far more dangerous to stay in the lane where people drive the wrong way and is often blocked by the buses,parked cars, stalled vehicles etc.

I once talked with an English speaking officer (really) and he said because motorbikes were slow (as another poster mentioned). The fact that I was on a 400cc bike and going much faster than any car wasn't a factor he was willing to take into consideration. But then when was logic ever police strong point (especially when there is money to be made).

For goodness sake, leave it alone. Who would not rather pay a few hundred Baht and be done with it, than get a ticket and have to jump through all the hoops to deal with it. Graft is a part of life here, it is ingrained in the ideology, not only here but throughout Asia. It is clean and efficient. The nightmare of rules and regulations back home in the Western countries is what drives the attraction to do business here and make a living. That wing-nut did an illegal u-turn, back home that would have been 10K Baht minimum, plus untold headaches with insurance and driving record.

If bribery is done away with here, they will simply cloak the fees in governmental holly-ness and the fleecing will begin in the name of public administration........but the fees will be 10X, and the consequences much more dire should one not comply. There is no utopia on this planet, we are all subjects to someone/something, simple straight-forward bribery is neat, tidy and fast.

• Like 1

"...... show me an honest man that wouldn't have taken the bung" and he can keep his job. Or is being corrupt a desirable trait in police, because you have enough money to bribe?

Fire a few hundred BIB for taking bribes and the country takes a step towards corruption free; condone it and nothing changes.

BTW Fine levels elsewhere are completely irrelevant

• Like 1

Fire a few hundred BIB for taking bribes and the country takes a step towards corruption free; condone it and nothing changes.

Fire every officer that takes a bribe and you will have anarchy, this is what makes Thailand Thailand. Why do you want to change it? you want it like Oz - massive police crack downs on drink drivers, that's one of the most corrupt laws going, it's like in the west they've never proven that it makes any difference to traffic accidents.Same goes for speed cameras!!!!!

Everybody seems happy that they can commit a traffic offense here and get away with it for only a few dollars. What about when you are banged up by a drunk guy who gets off because his bribe or connections allowed it. You're in a hospital paying big bills, potentially crippled for life, and he is back in the bar having a drink.

Not sound logic to me. sad.png

• Like 2

Everybody seems happy that they can commit a traffic offense here and get away with it for only a few dollars. What about when you are banged up by a drunk guy who gets off because his bribe or connections allowed it. You're in a hospital paying big bills, potentially crippled for life, and he is back in the bar having a drink.

Not sound logic to me. sad.png

Most people don't think that far, but that the quality people we get here.

• Like 2

Not exactly unique to Thailand

Fire every officer that takes a bribe and you will have anarchy, this is what makes Thailand Thailand. Why do you want to change it? you want it like Oz - massive police crack downs on drink drivers, that's one of the most corrupt laws going, it's like in the west they've never proven that it makes any difference to traffic accidents.Same goes for speed cameras!!!!!

I credit the BIB to have enough intelligence to stop taking bribes after a few hundred have been caught and fired. At least be a bit less blatant than extortion roadblocks. If bribes were levied instead of fines there may be some merit to the system, but when it evolves to the current level when people are forced to pay a bribe when no offence has been committed..........

I sincerely hope your support of drunk drivers was said in jest.

• Like 1

Not exactly unique to Thailand

So post about that on another thread or website.

Corruption is completely backwards and developing. Who does it help? The already rich. Oh, sorry, some of the poorer cops get some crumbs.

If you can't pay the police a small amount as opposed to officially paying the full amount, you might think twice about doing something wrong on the roads. More people driving safely means fewer people in the hospitals. I imagine many people who get injured in road accidents can't afford to pay their bills. Someone has to pay for it.

Corruption is a false economy.

It's clear that they have choreographed this situation, and it ended the way they wanted it to, but if any of the police find that their face is identifiable on YouTube, those uploading this kind of stuff had better have an exit plan from Thailand...!!

I agree. They really should be careful .

But how can you call it a set up? No one forced the police to take the money.

I credit the BIB to have enough intelligence to stop taking bribes after a few hundred have been caught and fired. At least be a bit less blatant than extortion roadblocks. If bribes were levied instead of fines there may be some merit to the system, but when it evolves to the current level when people are forced to pay a bribe when no offence has been committed..........

Well I was in Oz and I saw a police extortion roadblock handing out fines to anybody who just smelled of alcohol. I also didn't claim to support drunk drivers (totally fabricated by you). I just feel the current laws go the wrong way about dealing with it, that's totally different to supporting drunk driving.

I agree. They really should be careful .

But how can you call it a set up? No one forced the police to take the money.

And they didn't have to offer it either, you can see they clearly planned it instead of waiting to see what the policeman would do, I didn't hear him ask for it. If somebody offers you money do you turn it down?

Since installing a dashboard cam, I have never been offered the opportunity to produce tea-money.. but I very rarely speed either so the wave passeds have also increased.

I did go through a red light (naughty I know) the policeman was wary of the camera and had clearly spotted it, ouch 1000 baht at the police station!

Well I was in Oz and I saw a police extortion roadblock handing out fines to anybody who just smelled of alcohol. I also didn't claim to support drunk drivers (totally fabricated by you). I just feel the current laws go the wrong way about dealing with it, that's totally different to supporting drunk driving.

Your anecdote sounds like BS. Any body charged with DUI has the right to have a blood test done.

Your anecdote sounds like BS. Any body charged with DUI has the right to have a blood test done.

Learned my BS in OZ mate. I often heard Ozzies call Brits whinging poms because they wanted Oz to be like England. Seems the boot's on the other foot now.

Also who's to say that person who may have failed a test was going to cause an accident?

Edited by sysardman

I would neither explain to a British or a Thai policeman why I thought a law was wrong. Why?

Firstly because I couldn't converse with a Thai policeman, secondly because they enforce the laws, they do not make the laws, so it would be pointless.