Thai Police Just Realise More Killed On Roads Than Murdered.

McMagus

I read today in the Bangkok Post (page 2 or 3 I think) an article stating that Thai police, on reviewing statistics, just realised that more people are killed on the roads than are murdered. A Thai police spokesman said that they now needed to work out what the causes were. Did anyone else see this article or did I just dream it up?

Yes, I would think so but the bit that tickled my fancy was the BIB are going to research what it is that is causing so many deaths. I would have thought it was bleedin obvious. 2 days ago I witnessed an act of absolute stupidity. Country road and a pick-up toddling along, another pick-up overtakes it at high speed, but right up the backside of the overtaking car is a VW van overtaking the overtaker (if you get my gist) except none of them realised there was an old songteow in front of the first car...4 vehicles trying to get into the space for one.

The article stated "Police statistics show that about 12,000 people were killed in road accidents over the past 10 years. In comparison, murders were responsible for the deaths of about 4,000 people."

I think it would be better worded to say "Police statistics show that about 12,000 people were killed in road accidents each year over the past 10 years. In comparison, murders were responsible for the deaths of about 4,000 people each year."

At least, that's the way I read the statistical data available on the web.

In all fairness it does make it difficult identifying the causes of road accidents when they elimate Thai's poor driving standards as a cause, as obviously that would have nothing to do with it. If it did then surely the governments education policies come into question, as would bureacrats testing regimes and taking bribes for licenses and the police not enforcing the road rules except for presonal gain. No it couldn't be a uniquely Thai related problem as too much blame to apportion.

The answer is out there but it is elusive, perhaps they could fund a committee to study the matter.

Yes, I would think so but the bit that tickled my fancy was the BIB are going to research what it is that is causing so many deaths. I would have thought it was bleedin obvious. 2 days ago I witnessed an act of absolute stupidity. Country road and a pick-up toddling along, another pick-up overtakes it at high speed, but right up the backside of the overtaking car is a VW van overtaking the overtaker (if you get my gist) except none of them realised there was an old songteow in front of the first car...4 vehicles trying to get into the space for one.

One major factor is the percentage of motorcycle riders in Thailand, I am quite sure if the UK had the same percentage of road users riding motorcycles as Thailand, then UK deaths on the road would be much higher. The US has 40,000 road deaths a year on average, imagine what it would be if most people were not in cars but on bikes !

UK the rest of Europe and The US does not have those biker percentages, 70% of fatalities in Thailand are those on motorcycles.

• Like 2

The article stated "Police statistics show that about 12,000 people were killed in road accidents over the past 10 years. In comparison, murders were responsible for the deaths of about 4,000 people."

I think it would be better worded to say "Police statistics show that about 12,000 people were killed in road accidents each year over the past 10 years. In comparison, murders were responsible for the deaths of about 4,000 people each year."

At least, that's the way I read the statistical data available on the web.

If that is what the report says, then I suggest the first thing is getting their facts straight and recalculate their numbers.

One major factor is the percentage of motorcycle riders in Thailand, I am quite sure if the UK had the same percentage of road users riding motorcycles as Thailand, then UK deaths on the road would be much higher. The US has 40,000 road deaths a year on average, imagine what it would be if most people were not in cars but on bikes !

UK the rest of Europe and The US does not have those biker percentages, 70% of fatalities in Thailand are those on motorcycles.

I agree. This pretty much explains it. Simply put, the rate of fatalities from motorcycle accidents are much higher than automobile accidents.

No way. In the UK you have to take a proper test and people are taught to ride/drive safely as possible. The policing of the roads here is deplorable.

How on earth can you you say there would be more accidents in the UK. Its totally illogical

• Like 1

No way. In the UK you have to take a proper test and people are taught to ride/drive safely as possible. The policing of the roads here is deplorable.

How on earth can you you say there would be more accidents in the UK. Its totally illogical

Yes a proper test and people are taught how to behave for their own safety, that does not stop the 1000's of roadusers breaking the law though does it, look at the speeding, drunk driving, no insurance etc offences in the UK.

If the UK had the same percentage of bikers that Thailand has, then the UK's death toll would be much higher than it is. In the UK most are in cars, the opposite of Thailand.

Take drink driving for instance, you can teach people all you want, but even with the severe long lasting penalties in the UK,they still do it, and will carry on doing it, nearly every Brit I know who has a car or a bike in Thailand drinks and drives too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16641576

I agree the high death rate is mostly due to bikes here - over 80% during Songkran, for example, with 10% pickups. It's so easy for a bike rider to slip and fall in flooded conditions on bad roads. No doubt, the culture of "it will never happen to me" is also alive and well in this country - they did tumboon last week didn't they? Not to mention poor law enforcement and following basic rules and commonsense. A nice recipe for the high road toll here.

I agree the high death rate is mostly due to bikes here - over 80% during Songkran, for example, with 10% pickups. It's so easy for a bike rider to slip and fall in flooded conditions on bad roads. No doubt, the culture of "it will never happen to me" is also alive and well in this country - they did tumboon last week didn't they? Not to mention poor law enforcement and following basic rules and commonsense. A nice recipe for the high road toll here.

UK and America have higher death rates in Cars than on bikes, Here there are more bikes so more bike deaths. If I may suggest get rid of all the cars and trucks and the death rate would be cut to less than half.

Let's get ride of the Drunk drivers, Drivers over worked high on Yaba or 4 M150's, Lets get rid of the Car drivers who don't have a license. Over loaded trucks,cars and trucks that are not maintained properly, and car and truck drivers who think they are specail because they have this car or that truck, Now the remaing 5% can stay becasue they don't cut off or cause bikes to have accidents. !