Cbr 500Cc Leaked Pic

greg71

If you can't afford the maintenance, don't buy the bike.

BS. On a bike a few weeks old, honda want to check the valves on their new engines. They find that it's not quite right, through no fault of your own, and they charge the customer for correcting their own mistake. Disgraceful!
  • Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can't afford the maintenance, don't buy the bike.BS. On a bike a few weeks old, honda want to check the valves on their new engines. They find that it's not quite right, through no fault of your own, and they charge the customer for correcting their own mistake. Disgraceful!

What's the problem? Is the 1st 1000k service supposed to be free in your opinions?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you can't afford the maintenance, don't buy the bike.BS. On a bike a few weeks old, honda want to check the valves on their new engines. They find that it's not quite right, through no fault of your own, and they charge the customer for correcting their own mistake. Disgraceful!

What's the problem? Is the 1st 1000k service supposed to be free in your opinions?

No when something fails in a new engine it should be covered under warranty. I guess since you dont seem to know or understnd this maybe your not from the west.

BS. On a bike a few weeks old, honda want to check the valves on their new engines. They find that it's not quite right, through no fault of your own, and they charge the customer for correcting their own mistake. Disgraceful!

Sorry but shims for valve clearance are a consumable just like brake pads and other items. I didn't have to change them, even the mechanic told me if I wanted to I could wait till the 12Km service but I chose not to wait. Give me a break, 95 baht for a valve shim and your going crazy, oil change and filter cost more than that and you have to do that every 6000km....

There is nothing disgraceful about it, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Love the Honda 500 series bikes, no regrets buying one and no regrets paying for the maintenance. I smile every time I go for a ride. Oh wait, it cost 500 baht to fill the tank with 95, oh no, there is more money, I should call Honda and complain; the bike uses gas!!!! Come on, I just paid over 200k baht I can't believe I have to keep paying more to drive it LOL....

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

And maybe kawa valve shims also go out of spec within 1000 km and possible they do not even bother to check? How can we know that?

It is 22k thb for a 17 full services with consumables/parts and labor until 100.000 km for honda 500s.

How much does it cost at kawa shop for service until 100.000 k with parts and labor i just wonder?

Edited by loserlazer

Sorry but shims for valve clearance are a consumable just like brake pads and other items. I didn't have to change them, even the mechanic told me if I wanted to I could wait till the 12Km service but I chose not to wait. Give me a break, 95 baht for a valve shim and your going crazy, oil change and filter cost more than that and you have to do that every 6000km....

There is nothing disgraceful about it, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Love the Honda 500 series bikes, no regrets buying one and no regrets paying for the maintenance. I smile every time I go for a ride. Oh wait, it cost 500 baht to fill the tank with 95, oh no, there is more money, I should call Honda and complain; the bike uses gas!!!! Come on, I just paid over 200k baht I can't believe I have to keep paying more to drive it LOL....

You are contradicting yourself. You said they were "out of spec".. You are right you dont have to do anything but if you didnt change them and this caused another issue my guess would be your screwed. No one is saying the honda 500 is bad so no need to be defensive. No one is concerned about the amount. It is a defective part or workmanship and honda should stand behind its product. FYI piston rings are also consumable like brake pads so your analogy is not very good....I am sure you would be complaining if they your compression was out of spec and they wanted you to pay for new rings....Anyway good luck with your bike and if you dont mind paying its ok with me :-)

And maybe kawa valve shims also go out of spec within 1000 km and possible they do not even bother to check? How can we know that? It is 22k thb for a 17 full services with consumables/parts and labor until 100.000 km for honda 500s. How much does it cost at kawa shop for service until 100.000 k with parts and labor i just wonder?

LL who cares what they charge....The question is why are they charging for shims? LL said "with consumables/parts and labor until 100.000 km"

I would keep that photo of those 17 full service charges and see if the rates dont increase in 5 years.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=203876

No when something fails in a new engine it should be covered under warranty. I guess since you dont seem to know or understnd this maybe your not from the west.

Oh yeah I totally forgot! Its 1 year engine warranty! So how about we insist and say thay any cost should be claimed on the warranty? Will they spit you in the face for that?

You are contradicting yourself. You said they were "out of spec".. You are right you dont have to do anything but if you didnt change them and this caused another issue my guess would be your screwed. No one is saying the honda 500 is bad so no need to be defensive. No one is concerned about the amount. It is a defective part or workmanship and honda should stand behind its product. FYI piston rings are also consumable like brake pads so your analogy is not very good....I am sure you would be complaining if they your compression was out of spec and they wanted you to pay for new rings....Anyway good luck with your bike and if you dont mind paying its ok with me :-)

Okay maybe lets put it this way since you seem to be the pure logic type of guy. Valve Shims are not covered under warrantee and this is clearly stated in the owners manual, they are considered by Honda to be a consumable part not covered under warrantee the same as brake pads and other parts. Since they are a consumable during the first 1000km or "Breakin" the valves and CAMS seat and wear in which is why you have to check the clearance and possibly change the valve shims; this doesn't mean they are putting in the same size shim that you got with the bike new. This is simple engine mechanics, this bike like many bikes doesn't have hydraulic lifters or anything fancy like a car or truck (Even Ducati uses shims and they have to be replaced to, yes you pay for them). I am not being defensive at all, I am stating the simple facts, it seems though that many to include yourself will try and pick something to death to find a fault. Bottom line you don't like, don't buy the bike, get something else, enjoy your ride.

The warrantees on bikes in Thailand is not the same as the West where generally 100% of everything is covered, yes I am from the West :) and actually know a lot about car and bike engines since I used to build them many years ago as a hobby when I races on competitive tracks. I know this for a fact, had to pay for a rear wheel bearing on my Kawasaki Versys at 4000km, nope not covered under warrantee even though the bike wasn't even a year old, that cost 1200 baht. Oh wait and it destroyed the rear sprocket and damaged the chain - you do the math, had to replace it all.

Anyway I digress, this is pointless...

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

And maybe kawa valve shims also go out of spec within 1000 km and possible they do not even bother to check? How can we know that? It is 22k thb for a 17 full services with consumables/parts and labor until 100.000 km for honda 500s. How much does it cost at kawa shop for service until 100.000 k with parts and labor i just wonder?

LL who cares what they charge....The question is why are they charging for shims? LL said "with consumables/parts and labor until 100.000 km"

I would keep that photo of those 17 full service charges and see if the rates dont increase in 5 years.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=203876

Well i did not pay for any shims at my 1000 km service or maybe they changed it under warranthy.

One thing i can agree with you is, valve check at 1000 km service is an overkill and if it is about engine, maker needs to cover it for free but do kawa pay for valve shims if they are out of spec? I do not think so.

• Like 1

I put only gasohol 95 in it and I got to 180kmph once. Even felt there could be another few ticks more to it. I don't need it faster it's already enough for the thai roads and the way they drive here.

For a full tank I get around 380 bath.. I know that's about 10L only and the tanks has 15L in capacity. When it's only 1 bar left I take the little beast in for gas fill. I'm curious if I feel any difference going bensin 95 though.

I put only gasohol 95 in it and I got to 180kmph once. Even felt there could be another few ticks more to it. I don't need it faster it's already enough for the thai roads and the way they drive here.

For a full tank I get around 380 bath.. I know that's about 10L only and the tanks has 15L in capacity. When it's only 1 bar left I take the little beast in for gas fill. I'm curious if I feel any difference going bensin 95 though.

You are definitely a Troll - hahahahhahahaa.... Have fun with your bike, all of us here will do the same whatever that bike brand and model is to include maintenance cost or fuel types and prices....

Edited by commande

Well i did not pay for any shims at my 1000 km service or maybe they changed it under warranthy.

One thing i can agree with you is, valve check at 1000 km service is an overkill and if it is about engine, maker needs to cover it for free but do kawa pay for valve shims if they are out of spec? I do not think so.

Honestly i dont know as i never heard of any needing replacing under warranty. if a kawa needs them then they should be covered imho. As a matter of fact anything in the engine should be covered. The only possible exception could be the clutch.

anyway we can all agree to disagree

You are definitely a Troll - hahahahhahahaa.... Have fun with your bike, all of us here will do the same whatever that bike brand and model is to include maintenance cost or fuel types and prices....

What's wrong?

Honestly i dont know as i never heard of any needing replacing under warranty. if a kawa needs them then they should be covered imho. As a matter of fact anything in the engine should be covered. The only possible exception could be the clutch.

Yankee what i remember, you need to pay for shims for kawa too.

But in Thailand i guess we get a different fare than back home regarding warranty.

Yankee what i remember, you need to pay for shims for kawa too.

But in Thailand i guess we get a different fare than back home regarding warranty.

Yes the warrantees for vehicles in Thailand vary drastically when compared to the west basically due to consumer protection laws. Most, not all companies apply the limits of the law for a particular country, in Thailand they are pretty limited. Example being the warrantee on an iPhone being covered in the USA for a longer duration of time which is what China is/was all upset about a while back; of course Apple adjusted the warrantee due to political pressure. Cars and trucks are also limited. Companies do this to limit exposure and ultimately save money. My understanding is the only thing in Thailand that is covered on bikes is the engine, it blows up they will repair/replace it, no the shims are not included. Not sure about the clutch as that is part of the transmission. Even the gauge cluster isn't covered on most brands.

I'm sure if you purchased a Ducatti or maybe even a GoldWing you might get more coverage but those are pretty expensive and considered to be elite bikes here in Thailand costing generally 100% more than they charge in the USA, but who knows really until you go check at the dealer, I for one would never spend 1M Baht on a bike. Heck I was upset when buying my car here, still cost 40% more than what I would pay in the USA and the thing is built here in Thailand. Crazy tax structure here, sorry if I got a little off topic.

Edited by commande

Evening everyone.

Well had my first fall on the bike:( My right knee is <deleted>. Quite amazed, happened here on roundabout (clock tower) in chiag rai, was going at 40kph if not less. Not leaned further than I usually do, no gear changes, or braking. Whack the bike slid from under me. Damage is not too bad, I might have to replace right fairing (in addition to the left one from another side).

However my clutch leaver on the handle broke in half. I cant drive to Chiang Mai like that for 2 hours. Can I change it at GreenWing or similar shop that sells 250s Iam sure they are similar. And as usual insurance doesnt cover accidents like this where no 3rd party vehicle is involved.

Evening everyone.

Well had my first fall on the bike:( My right knee is <deleted>. Quite amazed, happened here on roundabout (clock tower) in chiag rai, was going at 40kph if not less. Not leaned further than I usually do, no gear changes, or braking. Whack the bike slid from under me. Damage is not too bad, I might have to replace right fairing (in addition to the left one from another side).

However my clutch leaver on the handle broke in half. I cant drive to Chiang Mai like that for 2 hours. Can I change it at GreenWing or similar shop that sells 250s Iam sure they are similar. And as usual insurance doesnt cover accidents like this where no 3rd party vehicle is involved.

Very bad to hear you had an accident! :unsure:

Did you walk back and check what might had cause you to slide over? I'm thinking of how I just drove about 100 to 120 through very heavy rain storm on the highway with some traffic. ..

Sure I was stupid but I had no rain gear and I wanted home so bad. I had a dainese leather jacket with original elbow and shoulder protector but a cheap copy back protector. bought back protector from sapan Leck (china town). Wearing just jeans but with fotball ankle and chin protectors from original adidas but copy knee protection (most important for lower body) and finally some soft padding stuffed in the underwear for the hips.

Atleast I can say it wasn't slippery in normal driving in rain. I took it quite easy in the corners but on the straight I wasn't shy to go on.

Ride safe and don't regret it after! This is me telling myself and you other riders out there. Safety first!!:ph34r:

Edited by xastunts

I looked alright nothing really special was a small patch of black (could be oil) but was very dark to see, though my pike was parked outside of ECC school for about 4 hours. I just got on it today first time after hospital to check if everything is still working, I noticed that my gear change is bent (where you change gears with you leg) which is strange as I fell down on the right side of the bike not left.

Iam seriously thinking about taking it to honda shop that services 250s or something to try and fix a few things. Insurance wont work and I cant drive it in this condition for 200km to BigWing.

Having read thru this topic I think there is some confusion going on.

I dont think anyone has a problem with Warranties or what they should or should not cover.
What is consumables etc.

I think what folks who are surprised at having to pay for this valve adjustment are trying to say
is it is not normal wear & tear for a bike with 1000km to need a valve adjustment period

None builds an engine on a mass produced bike so tight that it should need valve shims changed at 1000km
period. That is just wrong period.

If Honda has determined through some checking that their 500 series does need a valve adjustment at 1000kms
then what they have uncovered is a fault in the build. That should not be a warranty issue either it should be
a recall & free of charge to fix/check the problem.

This is not a brand issue nor a warranty issue IMHO

• Like 1

Having read thru this topic I think there is some confusion going on.

I dont think anyone has a problem with Warranties or what they should or should not cover.

What is consumables etc.

I think what folks who are surprised at having to pay for this valve adjustment are trying to say

is it is not normal wear & tear for a bike with 1000km to need a valve adjustment period

None builds an engine on a mass produced bike so tight that it should need valve shims changed at 1000km

period. That is just wrong period.

If Honda has determined through some checking that their 500 series does need a valve adjustment at 1000kms

then what they have uncovered is a fault in the build. That should not be a warranty issue either it should be

a recall & free of charge to fix/check the problem.

This is not a brand issue nor a warranty issue IMHO

Appreciate your point of view, suggest you contact Honda and discuss with them...

Appreciate your point of view, suggest you contact Honda and discuss with them...

Nah nothing to discuss as I do not own one.

But go ahead if your one of the guys having to pay wink.png

Not really a POV just facts

No Bike manufacturer in the world including the $40,000 dollar high rpm super bikes need

a valve check at 1000kms

Anyone who thinks it is justified on a twin cylinder 6 thousand dollar bike is being overly

brand sensitive.

Edited by mania

Definitely not brand sensitive, just following the book that came with the bike... Lets see Page 42... Clearly states at 1000km Valve Clearance - Inspect (clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace if necessary). In general yes this is talking about the valve shims unless something catastrophic happened such as a CAM snapping or rocker cracking which would be covered under warrantee.

Anyway, I follow the book, keeps the warrantee in effect, limited though it may be in full force with no questions. Maybe Honda is being over sensitive.

post-150394-0-40455000-1367386445_thumb.

Edited by commande

As long as you only pay the shims it isnt such a big deal imo. But what about customers in many other coutries who usually pay for the work hours too? This could be an expensive 1k service for them.

No Bike manufacturer in the world including the $40,000 dollar high rpm super bikes need

a valve check at 1000kms

Your facts are incorrect, not only does this specific Honda need a valve check and possible adjustment but also some Aprila, BMW, Suzuki (GSX-R, California Spec) models and I am certain others do to... I think those guys make your 40k dollar racing bikes if I'm not mistaken although not many people buy them I assume. smile.png

Not even going to bother providing those bike manuals or website links, there are way to many bar stool mechanics around here.... Right or wrong is an opinion, what the manufacture states as maintenance is in my opinion what you do BUT in the end it's a choice, one can do whatever they want or think is best. The manufacture engineered the machine, I am certain they know more than me or most people here on TV.

Edited by commande