Red Bull Heir Worrayuth Faces Charge: Hit-And-Run Crash

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that it was only manslaughter, but I doubt it was premeditated murder. Even his actions after hitting him don't make it "premeditated" ... seeing as they happened during or after the event.

The was the suggestion that the initial impact didn't kill the officer, but dragging him down the road did - the "choice" to flee. That, coupled with the fact that the driver didn't choose stop to see if there was anything that can be done, might just be seen as "premeditation" is some eyes.

That isn't premeditation. Anything he decided to do after the initial contact would not be premeditation.

pre·med·i·ta·tion (pr -m d -t sh n). n. 1. The act of speculating, arranging, or plotting in advance. (freedictionary)

Edited by whybother

Fleeing after the fact is not "premeditation". "Pre" means before. Premeditated would imply that he got into his car with the intention to kill someone. It might have been likely that he would kill someone, given the speed and the drinking, but that doesn't jump to "intended" or "premeditated".

Even dragging him along after the accident wouldn't be "premeditated". Being in shock, or so drunk, he didn't realise what he was doing. Fleeing the scene would mean that he didn't want to know about what he did. I don't know how you go from that to "intent to finish the job".

Manslaughter. Yes. Premeditated murder. Not even close.

But didn't another court case say it was murder if the driver didn't stop and dragged the body. Don't forget that the laws in Thailand are different to UK, USA, etc.

Manslaughter. Yes. Murder. Probably. Premeditated murder. No.

I will boycott Ferrari.

Exactly, I have already decided not to spend 30,000,000 baht on a new one this year. Want to bet this parasite gets off Scot free? Want to bet the judge finds a "reason" to let him off? If an 18 year old from a family far less wealthy than this one gets off with a 24 month suspended sentence, after murdering 9 people on the freeway, for being "cooperative", what will happen with this insect?

• Like 1

"A butler at Worrayuth's house, Suwes Hom-ubol, who initially claimed to have driven a Ferrari and crashed into accident victim Pol Snr Sgt Major Wichean Klinprasert, has been indicted at Bangkok South Municipal Court for giving a false statement and assisting others to flee criminal action"

The were quick to charge the butler and why do I get the feeling that he will face the full force of the law and probably be punished more severly than the driver who is the cause of all this.

There is no mention of the parents and police officer being indicted along with the Butler. Was the Butler acting alone in the attempt to pervert the course of justice or are the parents imune from prosecution. It has all come down to the "Butler did it" Personally I say let the Butler go and throw the book at the parents and Police Officer who used him as the attempted scape goat.

The butler did it. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

That's a change, usualy it's the gardener .....

At least this time, it's not the bad farang

The exclusive Ferrari dealer in Thailand is Cavallino Motors, owned by the owner of Red Bull and the owner of Singha beer in partnership. http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx It's no "coincidence" that the local Thai Ferrari dealer, Cavallino, has "no expertise" in diagnosing the car's black box.

Secondly, no "murder" charges yet? It's an obvious case of murder. The only question is what class of murder? Premeditated, negligent homicide - both compounded by drunk driving, or will this one be allowed to slide?

Premeditated? In Thailand? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Pol Lt Col Akkharawint Sukhonthawit, said the importer of Ferraris told police he was not able to acquire data from the luxury coupe's "black box" to determine the speed or navigational details before and after Worrayuth's car hit Wichean.

Not surprising that since the family own a stake in the business..

Now is the time to Boycott Red Bull!!

http://www.facebook....310917865673962

Why?

Red Bull is a totally different company to the one this family owns. (yes he did sell his formula to Red Bull)

• Like 1

I vote negligent (vehicular) homicide if his speed was excessive or his driving was erratic, etc. with additional penalties for drunk driving if applicable. We should have a wager as to whether or not Ferrari (here or in Italy) are able do dump the Event Data Recorder.

A lot of folks replying seem to think that policeman was dragged some distance by the Ferrari (even underneath!) indicating premeditation (from early reports, apparently). This conflicts with a recent, previous article where it was stated that his body was found about 64 meters from the crash site. It also conflicts with the obvious damage to the hood and (especially) the windshield which would make it less likely that the policeman was dragged underneath. If he was somehow otherwise dragged by the Ferrari, there is the 64 meter distance to explain.

At 200k m/h (reported, but disputed) the Ferrari was travelling over 55 meters/sec. Also, don't overlook that at time of impact, the airbag deployed and it must have really startled and interfered with the driver for a few seconds at least. If he was really moving it was amazing that he didn't lose control - especially if the motorcycle was still embedded in the front-end (apparently it was).

With all articles, I have to say to myself: "Yes, but is it true?" on every point. Every point should be weighed for plausibility / violating common sense as well.

Edited by MaxYakov

What a waste of life, I hope in addition to paying the maximum 200,000 baht fine he will be made to provide generous compensation to the family of the victim.

and do at least 10 years in the Hilton, and the board of directors sack him from the company.

The exclusive Ferrari dealer in Thailand is Cavallino Motors, owned by the owner of Red Bull and the owner of Singha beer in partnership. http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx It's no "coincidence" that the local Thai Ferrari dealer, Cavallino, has "no expertise" in diagnosing the car's black box.

Secondly, no "murder" charges yet? It's an obvious case of murder. The only question is what class of murder? Premeditated, negligent homicide - both compounded by drunk driving, or will this one be allowed to slide?

How hard could it be to contact Ferrari Asia or their headquarters in Italy directly for technical assistance? Looks like the stage is being set for dragging this out until public interest has died down and the case can be quietly dismissed.

He could not tell police when they could contact the carmaker's experts to find out how to access that data.

What? Run out of phone credit?

Probably waiting for the boss to give him the ok to do it after he has finished browsing through the brochures to pick his exile of choice for the next few years.

I vote negligent (vehicular) homicide with additional penalties for drunk driving.

A lot of folks replying seem to think that policeman was dragged some distance by the Ferrari (even underneath!) indicating premeditation (from early reports, apparently). This conflicts with a recent, previous article where it was stated that his body was found about 64 meters from the crash site. It also conflicts with the obvious damage to the hood and (especially) the windshield which would make it less likely that the policeman was dragged underneath. If he was somehow otherwise dragged by the Ferrari, there is the 64 meter distance to explain.

At 200k m/h (reported, but disputed) the Ferrari was travelling over 55 meters/sec. Also, don forget that at time of impact, the airbag deployed and it must have really startled and interfered with the driver for a few seconds at least. If he was really moving it was amazing that he didn't lose control - especially if the motorcycle was still embedded in the front-end (apparently it was).

Correct... you are obviously paying attention, full marks. Pity other posters continue to show their ignorance and lack of logic.

"A butler at Worrayuth's house, Suwes Hom-ubol, who initially claimed to have driven a Ferrari and crashed into accident victim Pol Snr Sgt Major Wichean Klinprasert, has been indicted at Bangkok South Municipal Court for giving a false statement and assisting others to flee criminal action"

The were quick to charge the butler and why do I get the feeling that he will face the full force of the law and probably be punished more severly than the driver who is the cause of all this.

There is no mention of the parents and police officer being indicted along with the Butler. Was the Butler acting alone in the attempt to pervert the course of justice or are the parents imune from prosecution. It has all come down to the "Butler did it" Personally I say let the Butler go and throw the book at the parents and Police Officer who used him as the attempted scape goat.

In an honest police/court system, the butler would be offered immunity to testify and give details as to how he was asked (coerced?) into taking the rap. Indeed, this could mean more charges being bought against other family members ... and not just the driver. Unfortunately in Thailand money talks and the moneyed walk.

According to Thai Law:

Homicide in the Penal Code of Thailand is defined as an act of putting an end to another human being's life. Homicide is divided into three subcategories: murder, negligent murder, and manslaughter. Murder is defined as causing death to another person purposely. (The Penal Code of Thailand, § 288). A person acts purposely when he conducts with consciousness to cause a result or he is aware that his conduct will practically cause such a result. (The Penal Code of Thailand, § 59 paragraph 2). Negligent murder is butting and to another person's life by negligence. (The Penal Code of Thailand, §, 291). A person acts negligently when he conducts with a failure to exercise sufficient standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the actor's situation. (The Penal Code of Thailand, § 59 paragraph 4). A person is guilty of Manslaughter if he, without purpose of causing death, causes bodily injury to another person leading to the death of such person. (The Penal Code of Thailand, § 290).

The entire article points out other insight.

Reference: http://www.thailawfo...cide-kanok.html

It sure looks like he acted with "malice aforethought" and also the drunk driving seriously raises the bar to a murder conviction. An "impartial court" in a fair and just system, could build a prosecution case on the basis that he had no real knowledge of the officer's state on impact (dead or alive), but that his fleeing the scene would clearly demonstrate "intent" to finish the job. Therefore, turning "negligent homicide" into premeditated murder. We really don't even know if the officer in fact was flagging him down for speeding and he decided to ram the motorcycle and take the human being out.

Follow on civil action for the plaintiff (the officer's family) would win a huge "wrongful death" litigation. This crime was especially heinous in that he was drunk, at high speed, he fled the scene after impact (premeditation), he dragged the human being to certain death (premeditation again) or he "intended" to kill him, and lastly the victim was a police officer on duty. In other words, he didn't accidentally hit him while alcohol and drug free and stop 10 yards later to try to help. But rather consciously decided to flee the scene compounded by the dragging of the motorcycle and the human being through two or more football fields of Bangkok streets. Then secretly parking in a private secluded residence, while household staff "bargained" with police to obstruct justice and attempt to "get him off the hook."

Fleeing after the fact is not "premeditation". "Pre" means before. Premeditated would imply that he got into his car with the intention to kill someone. It might have been likely that he would kill someone, given the speed and the drinking, but that doesn't jump to "intended" or "premeditated".

Even dragging him along after the accident wouldn't be "premeditated". Being in shock, or so drunk, he didn't realise what he was doing. Fleeing the scene would mean that he didn't want to know about what he did. I don't know how you go from that to "intent to finish the job".

Manslaughter. Yes. Premeditated murder. Not even close.

But didn't another court case say it was murder if the driver didn't stop and dragged the body. Don't forget that the laws in Thailand are different to UK, USA, etc.

In Europe this would never be classed as 'Murder'. The driver would be charged with' Causing death by dangerous driving', 'drunk driving', 'leaving the scene of an accident', 'failing to report an accident'....and that would be just the driving charges, which would get him 10 years in the slammer. Wouldn't matter who he was or what he was, in he would go. Apart from that he would also be up for 'Perverting the course of justice', as would other members of the family, the bent Copper and , of course, the Butler. The afflicted family would also have the personal right to sue all these parties in the Civil Courts, and the Courts have the power to relieve the offenders of personal possessions like House's, Car's, Boat's etc etc.

Recent story from Australia, where a drunk driver had an accident, killing two of his passengers - 8 years in jail, 6 before parole is considered.

If I was the boss of Ferrari the last thing I would want was to have my cars being sold by drunk

and corrupt distributors and supplying spoiled brain dead little rich kids what is in effect a murder weapon. Change your distributer Mr Ferrari.

What a waste of life, I hope in addition to paying the maximum 200,000 baht fine he will be made to provide generous compensation to the family of the victim.

and do at least 10 years in the Hilton, and the board of directors sack him from the company.

That seems a bit too harsh considering his status and the lifestyle he's accustomed to. Perhaps a 2 yr suspended sentence would be more realistic. They should probably sack him too considering the bad image he has given the company but I don't think that's going to happen either.

Now that's a silly thing to do........

I will boycott Ferrari.

Now that's a silly thing to do.........

Yes stupid, people seem to just quote whatever pops out of their noodle.

You might as well boycott stupid looking baseball caps.

Jeesh! He was just being facetious (I hope). I think boycotting stupid-looking baseball caps is a great idea.

Edited by MaxYakov

The butler did it. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

That's a change, usualy it's the gardener .....

At least this time, it's not the bad farang

But the car was built by farang.....there's an avenue
  • Like 1

How hard could it be to contact Ferrari Asia or their headquarters in Italy directly for technical assistance? Looks like the stage is being set for dragging this out until public interest has died down and the case can be quietly dismissed.

There is a good possibility that even a detailed report from Ferrari HQ would be doctored between writing, translating, certifying and being used in court. With all the various crimes committed that morning, which may or may not include homicide, drunk driving, speeding, dragging a corpse down a major road, procurement of a Patsy, implied guilt of a bent copper who procured the Patsy, then a good defence lawyer would manage to confuse the issues for years to come.

All we outraged TV members know better than to expect western style justice and the odds are that he will never suffer any recognised penalties, such as would be sentenced in our home countries. That is just how it is here, and recent history with rich young Hi Sos shows that very little will be done.

Sad to say, it would actually be better for the dead policeman's family if a huge settlement were negotiated with some immediacy as this will go on for years. Longer it goes on, less they will settle for

"The butler did it..."

Classic!tongue.png

• Like 2

You are right Rocchiebkk. Yesterday I was walking into Fuji and and upended base over apex by a taxi entering me from the rear. Got up dusted myself down and forced the taxi driver's door open and told him that he was pond life with a few expleteve deleteves thrown in for good measure. Strange that one of Bangkok's finest was standing there also but see disinterested but hey what's new.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that it was only manslaughter, but I doubt it was premeditated murder. Even his actions after hitting him don't make it "premeditated" ... seeing as they happened during or after the event.

The was the suggestion that the initial impact didn't kill the officer, but dragging him down the road did - the "choice" to flee. That, coupled with the fact that the driver didn't choose stop to see if there was anything that can be done, might just be seen as "premeditation" is some eyes.

That isn't premeditation. Anything he decided to do after the initial contact would not be premeditation.

pre·med·i·ta·tion (pr -m d -t sh n). n. 1. The act of speculating, arranging, or plotting in advance. (freedictionary)

I have no idea what the guy will be charged with but lets get the premeditated thing out of the way. It doesn't matter what you think or what dictionary definition you use 'premeditation' can be formed in a nano second, it is still after all in 'advance' of the situation. You seem to be getting confused with watching too many murders on Columbo etc where murders are planned with meticulous cunning weeks in advance. IF the driver hit the policeman and subsequently decided to carry on driving to ensure 'dead men don't talk' then it goes from a potential accident to pre meditated murder...simple. All over Thailand it is common place in rural traffic accidents for a driver to reverse over a 'downed' motor biker they have hit to avoid the expensive costs of compensation and rehabilitation and accept the flat rate fine of 50K baht for killing someone on the road. It is nothing short of murder when people do this and it is premeditated. Even if they only think of doing it for a few seconds before their action, it is pre meditated, it is definitely NOT manslaughter.

A moral in the story...if you are ever hit in an RTA in Thailand, muster whatever ounces of strength you have remaining and get up and off the road less you never get up again.