More Progress On Hiv Vaccine Research Will Be Tested On Msm In Thailand

Jingthing

OK, really when the HIV pandemic which killed most of my friends emerged when I was in my 20's I really thought that by NOW there would be both a vaccine and a foolproof cure.

Anyway, I reckon its always good news to hear that scientists are getting closer on the vaccine research.

Interestingly the new findings will be further researched among MSM people in Thailand in 2014.

Before you bite my heads off as to why this is in the Gay forum, be advised that topics of this kind (news about medical research) are no longer allowed to be started in the Health forum. Not criticizing that change of policy. Just explaining.

http://www.nature.co...-armour-1.11380

HIV is finally revealing its weak spots to researchers, bringing an effective vaccine against AIDS closer to reality.

The question facing vaccine developers now is how to improve the response against V2. A vaccine similar to that used in RV144 is set to be tested in South Africa and among men who have sex with men in Thailand in two trials that will begin around 2014. Scientists hope that giving a booster within a year of the first jab and a new adjuvant will lead to a stronger and longer-lasting response against HIV and its V2 region, says Kim who is helping to design the trials.

Mounting a response against V2 “isn’t the whole answer to vaccine protection”, says Fauci, but “you can be darn sure people are going to figure out how to rev it up”.

Edited by Jingthing