Is It Worth 70K For Green Book?

Dear all,

I recently bought a 2000 Yamaha R1 from a big bike shop in BKK.

It did not come with the Green Book, but instead the invoice papers and a small insurance receipt which I am supposed to pay every 3 months 600 thb to keep valid.

I have been stopped by the police once and they had no problems with the documents I provided to them and was not fined or questioned.

The shop told me that they can arrange the Green Book transfer for the sum of around 70,000thb but I don't know if it is worth paying it, unless of course I want to sell the bike I may not get as much money for it.

Any advice or information?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you ride an unplated / unregistered vehicle in your home country?

What makes you think you can get away with it here?

Sure, the cops are lazy and corrupt and MOST of the time you can bribe or bs your way through.

BUT eventually your luck will run out.

if a copper takes a shine to your bike and isn't in the mood to take a bribe he's got the power to impound it since it's not road legal and it will be up to you to try and get it back. Good luck!

As for the promise of a green book- I'd suggest you pay half up front and the rest on delivery. So many stories of guys paying for green books that never arrive.

Again- Good luck!

• Like 1

Some folk will say you are crazy for riding an unregistered bike, others that do so and have done for years without problems will say don't bother with the green book. A lot depends on where you'll be riding it. I've been on an unregistered bike for 9mnths now with no problems whatsoever, pass through police checkpoints at least once a week and the one time I was asked for the invoice & excise tax documents they were happy with what I showed them and off I went.

More info and opinions here

• Like 1

You have been cheated !sad.png The invoice means that the motorbike is not customcleared into Thailand. You might not be so lucky next time stopped by the police, as they can legally confiscate the bike. Go back to the shop and insist on getting your money back, or change to another bike with the correct paperwork. You are heading for headache in the future.

• Like 1

Tony, you asked 'Would you ride an unplated / unregistered vehicle in your home country?' and 'What makes you think you can get away with it here?'

Would you ride as fast as you do in your home country as you do here? What makes you think you can get away with it here?

The answer is the same, this is Thailand and not America, England, Australia etc etc

• Like 1

OK....The invoice papers are from the motorcycle shop in BKK..I was not 'cheated' as some people say because I knew I was not getting a green book and no I wouldn't ride an unregistered bike in my own country...In fact I don't have a bike licence so I wouldn't even ride a bike back home. But the fact of the matter is that this is not my home country - this is in fact, Thailand. What I have been informed by the shop is that the insurance payment will cover me for not being registered as long as I keep the receipt valid (every 3 months) I was stopped in Pattaya by around 5 Policemen and ushered into a police box where I paid a fine for no bike licence...and that was it. I explained to them that I bought the bike from a shop in BKK and this is the documents they gave me, and they were happy and smiled at the 300thb fine I paid for no licence.

Here we go again, an OP who asks a question but know already there is only 1 answer,.........the one he has in his head.

Why do these people even bother to write a thread and ask questions if they not gonna accept the answers anyway.

@Skybluestu,you are right there is abig difference between your homecountry and Thailand, same as there is a big difference between getting a speeding ticket and getting stopped riding an illegally imported bike.

Tony, you asked 'Would you ride an unplated / unregistered vehicle in your home country?' and 'What makes you think you can get away with it here?'

Would you ride as fast as you do in your home country as you do here? What makes you think you can get away with it here?

The answer is the same, this is Thailand and not America, England, Australia etc etc

Max fine for speeding in Thailand is 800 Baht but usually you can grease your way through for less. Back home you go to jail for 20 over in some states.

Anyway, speeding and driving an unregistered vehicle illegally on public streets are two totally different offenses.

You live in Chiang Rai where no body cares about plates, but the OP says he bought the bike in Bangkok, which leads me to guess that maybe he's riding it in Bangkok.

You don't see many unplated bikes in Bangkok, and the ones you do see are invariably being ridden by cops or folks with the right BiB connections.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Here we go again, an OP who asks a question but know already there is only 1 answer,.........the one he has in his head.

Why do these people even bother to write a thread and ask questions if they not gonna accept the answers anyway.

@Skybluestu,you are right there is abig difference between your homecountry and Thailand, same as there is a big difference between getting a speeding ticket and getting stopped riding an illegally imported bike.

I can accept ANSWERS but not a lecture on what is right and wrong!!!

The shop told me as I said about the documents I have. All I was asking was what everybody thought about this, and of course your experiences.

Chill out man.

Well, i think it will become stricter with time, like with everything else

(visa, breathalyzer, etc), so i think you will run out of luck one day,

and then noone wants a bike that isnt registered.

So i would pass on the bike to someone else, or take the pain and pay the 70.000,

depending on how much i like the bike.

Actually i would never buy a bike without book, period.

• Like 1

Max fine for speeding in Thailand is 800 Baht but usually you can grease your way through for less. Back home you go to jail for 20 over in some states.

Anyway, speeding and driving an unregistered vehicle illegally on public streets are two totally different offenses.

You live in Chiang Rai where no body cares about plates, but the OP says he bought the bike in Bangkok, which leads me to guess that maybe he's riding it in Bangkok.

You don't see many unplated bikes in Bangkok, and the ones you do see are invariably being ridden by cops or folks with the right BiB connections.

If he is in BKK or Pattaya then, from what I have heard, it would be advisable to get a green book.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

And here we go again....

@therealmrbrightside

I hope, you are not so ignorant, like some other people.

Have you ever seriously thought about the consequences, when you are involved in bad accident, guilty or not?

YOU are the Farang with the illegal, unregistered bike!

Do really believe, your dubious (3 months?) insurance will cover this with a bail bond?

You will go straight to jail, if you don't have the 200.000 in your pocket....

Is it really worth it?

^

exactly this is what everyone seems to forget with an unregistered bike you also have no insurance although there is some on here that claim they have insurance and there company would pay out for an illegal unregistered bike ,living in cuckoo land if you ask me

And here we go again....

@therealmrbrightside

Have you ever seriously thought about the consequences, when you are involved in bad accident, guilty or not?

Do really believe, your dubious (3 months?) insurance will cover this with a bail bond?

Is it really worth it?

I see your points, but this is driving a bike not too much, around back roads of Rayong and Chonburi..I am not driving flat out through Pattaya beach road drunk at 3am in the morning. So no, I haven't thought of the consequences of an accident like that. I have been in Thailand long enough to know that the farang always pays regardless of if he has a green book or not. If I had to pay up 200,000 thb to stop me going to jail. I would obviously pay it simple as that. As long as the 3 month dubious piece of paper stops the bib from liberating my bike, then I will take my chances - if it is really a possibility that my bike will be impounded indefinitely then I will fork out for the book.

800 baht? I assume that is for bikes only? I got an official ticket (I was never stopped but a police photo was posted to my HR manager) for 1000 baht for speeding on the elevated highway near Bang Na...

Back to the original post, you need a book but it's too late now. If you pay 70k i suspect (actually I am sure) it will be money down the drain and 18 months of headaches with no result. Hope you dont have a serious accident on it.

800 baht? I assume that is for bikes only? I got an official ticket (I was never stopped but a police photo was posted to my HR manager) for 1000 baht for speeding on the elevated highway near Bang Na...

Back to the original post, you need a book but it's too late now. If you pay 70k i suspect (actually I am sure) it will be money down the drain and 18 months of headaches with no result. Hope you dont have a serious accident on it.

Yeah as I said it is only taken out on runs now and again. I work abroad and it only comes out about once a month. I used to rent bikes in Pattaya all the time living under the 'you crash you pay' scheme. Any time I am stopped by the police I always show respect to them and always smile and joke which has worked up to now so with Buddha's help nobody will take my bike away from me!

If he is in BKK or Pattaya then, from what I have heard, it would be advisable to get a green book.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I am in Rayong, and very seldom drive near Pattaya. Too many idiots.

If I had to pay up 200,000 thb to stop me going to jail. I would obviously pay it simple as that.

This is only the bail bond!

What's about the 100000's/millions you have to pay in the worst case?

Don't be so naive, if they found out, you rode an illegal/unregistered/uninsured bike, they will sqeeze the shit out of you...

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

And here we go again....

@therealmrbrightside

Is it really worth it?

I see your points, but this is driving a bike not too much, around back roads of Rayong and Chonburi..I am not driving flat out through Pattaya beach road drunk at 3am in the morning. So no, I haven't thought of the consequences of an accident like that. I have been in Thailand long enough to know that the farang always pays regardless of if he has a green book or not. If I had to pay up 200,000 thb to stop me going to jail. I would obviously pay it simple as that. As long as the 3 month dubious piece of paper stops the bib from liberating my bike, then I will take my chances - if it is really a possibility that my bike will be impounded indefinitely then I will fork out for the book.

Illegal bike, no driverslicense=no valid insurrance= NO BRAIN! sick.gif
  • Like 1

And here we go again....

@therealmrbrightside

Is it really worth it?

\

Let me correct you on a few points.

-The back roads of Rayong and Chonburi, you mean those where the highway police operates? laugh.png The Pattaya police are lambs compared to those

- No, a farang not always pay regardless of if he has a green book or not.

-If you had to pay 200.000 Baht you would pay up simple as that?That means you always carry that amount of money with you?The option is " go straight to jail,don't pass start" -And yes their is a real possibility that your bike will be impounded indefinetly, only at that moment you don't get offered the choice anymore to fork out for a book.

• Like 1

If you really like the bike and want to keep it then I would say it is worth it yes.

Edit: Got to love the hysterical farang answers you always get on here. We are in Thailand, don't expect things to work the same way as they do at home and don't expect people to care about what nobody else here does, including the police!

Edited by madjbs
  • Like 1

Wow so much hostility....

@soi41 - 'insurance' has only 1 'r'.....brainchild.

@jbrain - I must have been very lucky up to now, I never see the highway police except on the 36 but I'm not on that road often. I don't carry that much money in my pocket if that's what you mean..but sometimes pleading ignorant with a sweetner can get us off the hook IMHO.

@madjbs - I do like it and I will keep it regardless..whether or not I attempt to get it registered is another story.

@jbrain - I must have been very lucky up to now, I never see the highway police except on the 36 but I'm not on that road often. I don't carry that much money in my pocket if that's what you mean..but sometimes pleading ignorant with a sweetner can get us off the hook IMHO.

Well, I must also be lucky since I haven't had a deadly accident yet, however these happen every day all over the country.

Doesn't mean I can't have one in the next hour.

And here we go again....

@therealmrbrightside

Is it really worth it?

I have a Honda Phantom and a Yamaha Virago 535 both with green books.

The Phantom came with the green book anyway and I waited about 6 months for a Yamaha with a green book. I saw a lot of cheaper Viragos but none had a green book.

You say that the farang always pays regardless. Not true certainly in my case when I got T-boned last year the police actually saw it happen and they were on my side. The little old lady that ran the red light was at fault and she paid me a reasonable price before either of us left the police station.

I have been riding bikes in Thauland 3 years now and a scooter for 3 years before that and I would NEVER buy a bike with no green book.

If your bike needs a green book it HAS to have an exhaust emissions test. That will cost antwhere up to 100,000 baht depending on the bike, so the 70,000 you were quoted was reasonable. However it will cost that pass or fail and if it fails there is no money back. Perhaps the shop has a "friend" in high places and you will be lucky but if we meet in and accident please be aware that I will sue you and win as will any Thai you are in an accident with. I would think that anybody who is legal will win but of course it is YOUR choice.

• Like 2

Yeah as I said it is only taken out on runs now and again. I work abroad and it only comes out about once a month. I used to rent bikes in Pattaya all the time living under the 'you crash you pay' scheme. Any time I am stopped by the police I always show respect to them and always smile and joke which has worked up to now so with Buddha's help nobody will take my bike away from me!

In that case it seems like you know the rules already. If you don't crash you'll be fine unless you're unlucky and meet the wrong cop. If you crash and injure/kill someone then you will most likely be <deleted>'d, the richer the person you hurt, the more dire your situation will be.

Not sure why you made the opening post if you know how it works already?

I had a bike with no green book just invoice. I insured it for 500 baht and fell off it. The cops gave an accident report and insurance payed the full 30000 cover for my hospital bills. If you ride a bike with an invoice and have payed the tax on that( not the duty) the cops can't take it off you, only fine you for not riding without registration.

Saying that I would only ever have a bike with a book. There are plenty of R1's with green books, just pay the extra, it is worth it.

I wouldn't bother getting the op,s bike green book for 70k, you may never see it( good chance).

^

that's interesting some more detailed info would also be useful like what bike ,insurance company,details of accident other party's involved,area of Thailand,how long ago etc

For starters 500 bht for insurance seems ridiculously cheap.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was many many years ago but the way things are today I wouldn't count on insurance paying out anythingfor these unregistered bikes.

P.s

Bit of a strange post with 2 paragraphs contradicting each other

Edited by taninthai