Thief Stole My Helmet

CMweb

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider yourself lucky. I've had my brakes unhooked from my bike by a parking attendant who was unhappy that I parked

outside his tiny parking zone for a club. I parked in a totally legal spot but the little bush-dweller didn't like it. Needless to say he's on my list.

both helmets were over a year old forcing me to buy a replacement for something already probably not worth wearing anymore. The sun and damp ruin them.

My full face helmet is probably overdue too. Anyone know where a good one can be found in CM?

The parking lot at airport plaza?wink.png

Just kidding, there's a place down Chiangmoi Road on the right that sells decent helmets.

OP, you learned a lesson, but might add, it would happen in farangland too. sad.png

hardly...in the UK you would be hard pushed to even see a motorbike..a rarity indeed

When were you last in the UK, the 1890's?

Was wondering that also:

Number of Motorcycles on the Rise on UK Roads

Recent government figures show that the number of motorcycle tests carried out has increased significantly with 105,362 tests taken by UK drivers last year .

Similarly, the number of people owning motorcycles is at an all-time high with 1.3 million motorbikes now on the road . This number could be set to rise higher, after research from Post Office Motorcycle Insurance showed that 13 per cent of drivers say they'd consider swapping their car for a motorcycle or moped to save costs .

This was 2010 - Source

I have a nice Bell open face that I wear around town. It's a bit of a pain but I always carry it with me. I re attach the strap and carry it over my arm and it doubles as a sort of er, man bag to throw stuff into.

It's a rarity, but like all societies there are opportunistic thieves and an 1,800 baht helmet is probably way better than most Thai helmets. Of course it could have been taken by another farang, I've seen lots wearing cheap old helmets...

I guess you have a simple choice, take it with you or leave it on the bike.

Or better still , get a relatively secure top box or equivalent to store your hat. It really is the pits , stealing crash helmets and hope you reported it to security .

I'm sure it happens to Thai's, who probably can't spend the money on a secure top box or don't want a 'dorkmobile' as stated by McGriffith.

Consider yourself lucky. I've had my brakes unhooked from my bike by a parking attendant who was unhappy that I parked

outside his tiny parking zone for a club. I parked in a totally legal spot but the little bush-dweller didn't like it. Needless to say he's on my list.

I would consider someone doing that trying to kill me and would retaliate as such...

I have a nice Bell open face that I wear around town. It's a bit of a pain but I always carry it with me. I re attach the strap and carry it over my arm and it doubles as a sort of er, man bag to throw stuff into.

As you know mate, I have the same helmet and rather than lug it around, I carry a padlock and padlock it thru the D-ring onto the bike's clutch cable. Still, I only do that in "safe" places and wouldn't do it at night or AP parking and such as it's easy to cut the strap. BTW, the missus left her new (cheapo locally made) lid on the mirror at AP, went to the gym and it was gone when she came back. Shoulda heard her cursing at the locals.....

Cheers,

Pikey.

Oh dear..............

But, how nice and thoughtful of him ( or her ) to leave you their old one.

Be pleased.

I started riding a motorbike back in May so I rented one. After having the bike for 2 months, someone swiped the new but cheap helmet that came with the rental in the guarded parking area of my building.The theft was not so kind as to leave a even cheaper one. What irks me is that there were a lot better helmets to choose from.

Back in midtown Manhattan some 40+ years ago, I was a bicycle messenger making some nice quick money. I had 3 more weeks before I took off for Europe. On one of my many deliveries, I returned to my nice Frejus bicycle but alas it wasn't there. The chain had been cut but in its place was an unlocked beat-up bike laying on the ground. I figured the thief decided to take the better bike but just in case, some idiot left his bike unlocked, something you just wouldn't do in NYC, I propped up the bike against the parking pole and waited 30 minutes. When no one showed, I took the bike and completed my last 3 weeks. At least, I got to make another $400 which in those days went a long way. I later gave the bike away since it was a real clunker but it did the job.

I just assumed every bike has some sort of hooks or posts under the seat that you can slip a helmet's d-rings over and then lock the seat down. No fuss, no muss. I think every bike I've owned had this. If it's not universal, it's something to put on the 'must-have' list for the next one.

For what are the guards anyway , I don’t see a point in this job whistling.gif

To extract money when you forget ticket.

OP, you learned a lesson, but might add, it would happen in farangland too. sad.png

It's always a tad more annoying when a 'Buddhist' does the dirty deed, though, innit. whistling.gif

1.800 THB helmet is very Hi-End in Chiang Mai and considered a great parking-lot-exchange-deal.

Most helmets here ("INDEX Soup-bowl brand" come in a meticulously selected variety of colors, watch out for the limited editions around Christmas)

cost around 220-270 THB @ your local Tesco/Lotus ... exactly what I use here and my helmet never got stolen in the last 20 yrs or so....

My full face helmet is probably overdue too. Anyone know where a good one can be found in CM?

Inside Pantip Plaza (south of the Night Bazaar, across from the temple) there's a shop that sells very good helmets. It's on ground floor, across from the 3BB store.

When were you last in the UK, the 1890's?, and if you left your helmet on your mirror there it would be nicked guaranteed!

Yes, but we are living in Thailand and it's what happens here that's of concern.

And I was replying to a post that referred to the UK! is that ok with you?

• Like 1

As you know mate, I have the same helmet and rather than lug it around, I carry a padlock and padlock it thru the D-ring onto the bike's clutch cable. Still, I only do that in "safe" places and wouldn't do it at night or AP parking and such as it's easy to cut the strap. BTW, the missus left her new (cheapo locally made) lid on the mirror at AP, went to the gym and it was gone when she came back. Shoulda heard her cursing at the locals.....

Cheers,

Pikey.

You padlock a Bell helmet through the d-ring onto the clutch cable? They wouldn't need to cut the strap, don't you realise how easy it is to release or even cut the cable?

By the way, is it xl and where do you park by the way? lol

I have no option to lock the helmet, need to find a solution for this.

Sure you do,

I just use a little tiny brass padlock, that I keep permanently attached through the Wave basket, and lock it down there using the ring on the helmet strap.

We do the same as mcgriffith

Although my helmet fits under the seat we lock my wife's to the basket like mcgriffith

You can buy a cheap long hoop brass key lock at homepro etc. Leave it attached to basket & keep key

on same ring as bike key.

• Like 1