Thailand To Join Un Peacekeeping Mission In Sudan

Jai Dee

Thailand to join UN peacekeeping mission in Sudan

BANGKOK, Jan 28 (TNA) - Thailand will send troops and a police force to join a United Nations-led peacekeeping mission in Sudan.

The Thai cabinet approved the international mission at its weekly meeting on January 27, Defence Ministry Spokesman Maj. Gen. Chakkrit Intratat told journalists here on Friday.

The Ministry of Defence and the Royal Thai Police are preparing a squad of Thai troops and police officers to join the mission.

"The United Nation will later inform the Thai government how many Thai officers should join the mission and how long they will be in Sudan," Maj. Gen. Chakkrit said after a meeting of the Defence Council in which the issue was considered.

Maj. Gen. Chakkrit said the Defence Council also approved a Royal Thai Army plan on the restructuring of its development division in the deep South to become a light infantry in charge of both development and security tasks.

"When the restructuring, expected to take at least four years, is completed, the new infantry will be ready to serve the local residents in both development projects and defence operations when necessary," said the defence ministry spokesman. (TNA)

Thailand will send troops and a police force......

Don't the police have better things to do in Thailand?

I thought there was shortage of police officers to handle the troubles in the South.

Can they really spare officers to go overseas???

Why else would they be sent to the Sudan

Coz someone has to go maybe... And if they still want a Thai to run as UN chairman it could be a good idea to get involved in international politics...

I guess I really should put a " :o " at the end of some of my posts.

I was simply poking fun at Jai Dee's typo "missing" instead of "mission".... and coming up with a possible explanation as to why Thai troops were being sent to join "lost" UN peacekeepers.

I apologize for the dryness of my non-humor.... (or humour for our Commonwealth readers).

:D

As a pacifist, I'd much prefer to see Thailand sending troops to a UN peacekeeping force, than to aid in the invasion of a sovereign nation like Iraq, where Thais were killed for all the wrong reasons. The United Nations Peacekeeping Forces received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1988.

PeaceKEEPING is great, but peaceMAKING is far greater.

Actually, in the overall world arena, a small country doesn't get as much publicity for sending troops to the peacekeeping forces, as it does when it joins "The Coalition of the Killing."

Why else would they be sent to the Sudan

Coz someone has to go maybe... And if they still want a Thai to run as UN chairman it could be a good idea to get involved in international politics...

I guess I really should put a " :o " at the end of some of my posts.

I was simply poking fun at Jai Dee's typo "missing" instead of "mission".... and coming up with a possible explanation as to why Thai troops were being sent to join "lost" UN peacekeepers.

I apologize for the dryness of my non-humor.... (or humour for our Commonwealth readers).

:D

I'm with you on this one SJ, could we have a competition for misspellings in headlines of threads, some are really funny?