Buying A Bicycle In Chiang Mai

watgate

I will be arriving in Chiang Mai the end of October and since I will be staying for 4 months, I am looking to buy a new bicycle which I can keep here to use when I am here this winter and in subsequent winters. My question for all you knowledgeable bicyclists is which is the best place in Chiang Mai to purchase a bicycle. I am most likely going to be buying a hybrid with at least 21 speeds, as well as a helmet and bike lock. I am looking for a bike shop that will give me a good deal and I can get the best bang for my buck. Also, preferably one that has been around for awhile so in case I need to come back for any repairs or to fix a flat, they will still be around a year from now.

I would do a little tour of the main shops. None of them have massive stock so you may end up buying from the shop that has something you want in your size. Its definately worth getting a bike. You will get know Chiang Mai a lot better. If you do get a hybrid or a mountain bike with road tyres(my preference over a hybrid) a rack and pannier is very useful, Great for shopping or just getting out of the city.

I'm also looking for a bike. I've been to a couple of shops, including Jackie, but walked out because I don't speak enough Thai to convey what I want.

Does anyone know of a bike shop selling Mountain bikes ( Trek, Specialized, Giant ) that has employees who speak a little English?

Spin Bike sells Giant

http://bicyclethailand.com/spin-bike-in-chiang-mai/

That link also has a bike shop index that can be sorted to show

Chiangmai only

Also some others like TCA

TCA sells Bianchi & Kona

http://www.tcabike.com/www/index.php?p=p_39

I recommend doing as much research as you can stand so you'll know what you'll need and want as you'll find that here most shops don't know much themselves and will tell you things to get to buy the bikes they have which might not be what's best for you, the right size etc. Again this is true with repairs (I suggest you learn to fix your own flats for safety and convenience as you don't want to be stuck somewhere for such a easy fix), they might know or not but will often tell you that they know what they are doing when they obviously don't and only make things worse.

+1 on the Jacky advice. They have some nice stock, but I stopped three times to ask about a specific bike they had on display, and no one would talk to me. They were eating lunch once, another time the guy said they were closing for an hour so I should come back, and the last time a guy cutting up cardboard boxes out front just laughed when I asked the price of the bike parked right next to us. Then he got back to work.

I've never been in a less ambitious retail shop.

Eventually, I found a bike through local classified ads, and when I had to have work done, I went to a fancy shop in Santitham. They begged off and sent me to another place on Chang Moi, which wanted two days and a thousand baht. On my way home, I stopped at a neighborhood bayang on Ratchapruek, and he fixed my problem in five minutes for 20 baht.

Caveat emptor, and welcome to Thailand.

I'm also looking for a bicycle in Chiang Mai. I stopped by LA Bike near Robinson's and was directed to their various selections of mountain bikes, most around Baht 5500. The owner seemed friendly, but will look around more. I'm interested not only in cycling around the city, but also to neighbouring amphurs, so a MB makes sense for me as I enjoy getting off the beaten path.

I'll just be in Chiang Mai 3 months or so, therefore how will I sell this a bike if I buy one?

Thanks for any help : )