Immigration Offers Retirement Extension Instead Of Marriage Extension

Often when I go to Immigration for my marriage visa extension, they ask me if I would mind getting a retirement extension instead of a marriage extension. I'm thinking about doing it this way this year because it means only one trip to Immigration instead of two, but I wanted to ask about the differences in documentation requirements.

Looking at Police Order 777, it doesn't look like there is much difference other than the age requirement and a 65,000 baht monthly income instead of 40,000 baht. I know when I first started getting marriage extensions, there was sometimes a surprise I didn't know about like pictures and making 2 copies of everything. I am just worried that if I go expecting to do a retirement extension instead of marriage extension that there might be some surprise I'm not expecting and have to make the trip to my hometown and back again.

Does anyone know what documents or other requirements I might need? Police Order 707 and Immigration order 305 are both pretty vague and not as detailed as what I am used to submitting for my marriage extension. Is the retirement income still 65,000 as stated?

From what I see in 707, what applies to me are only items 1-3:

1) Non-O visa

2) Age 50

3) Monthly income of 65,000

Then in 305, I also see only items 1-3 applicable to me:

1) Application

2) Passport copy

3) Evidence of income

Thanks.

Edited by HAL9000

You don't have to proof your marriage, so the documents are much less.

For retirement just show:

- proof of money in the bank or income or of both (for retiremetn you cna also use a combination of money in the bank and yearly income)

- copy passport

- copy arrival card

- pass photo

- and maybe proof of address.

• Like 1

My local officer has asked me before if I wanted to change from Marriage extension to retirement extension, I use the income letter from my embassy which states a pension of 65,000baht per month, but am not yet 50, nevertheless if he asks me again I might bite his hand off.

My office is Nonthaburi

• Like 1

They will try and push you down the retirement road as it means a lot less work for them.

Thanks LB. I'm just a little nervous because my marriage extension has always been trouble-tree, and I don't want to get surprised with a refusal or a surprise about something I was supposed to take and didn't.

I guess change means uncertainty.

Edited by HAL9000

It is a much easier route and a local decision so they are not worried that Bangkok officials may see an error they made. Your wife will not have to attend and id/home register/photos together will not be required.

The only surprise when I did about 8 years ago was they required my wife attend that one last time to confirm she understood I was no longer using marriage as reason for stay (in case I might be planning a divorce one might suspect).

• Like 1

It is a much easier route and a local decision so they are not worried that Bangkok officials may see an error they made. Your wife will not have to attend and id/home register/photos together will not be required.

The only surprise when I did about 8 years ago was they required my wife attend that one last time to confirm she understood I was no longer using marriage as reason for stay (in case I might be planning a divorce one might suspect).

Thanks for the reassurance, Lopburi. My immigration officials are always helpful, that takes a big load off my mind.

Interesting thought on your change of reason for extension. I do notice, though, that the Thais always look out for their people. It belies the image of uncaring bureaucrats. Really good people working at my office too.

They will try and push you down the retirement road as it means a lot less work for them.

And this "pushing" is seen by many as "forcing", but the choice is yours.

My office is quite friendly, and it has always been clearly stated as a question and an option.

As said the choice is yours, but if you feel the 'pushing' and 'forcing' is over the top you could show an income or bank balance of more than 40,000/400,000 and less then 65,000/800,000 then you would not qualify for 'retirement'. Of course you should just be able to choose marriage/retirement, but just a suggestion.

Was never pushed to change at Maptaphut (Rayong), think it was only mentioned to my wife one year. I did however change to retirement a couple of years later but that was at my choosing.

Ditto for me at Udonthani around the same time and yes I was told it was for her to personally acknowledge she was aware I was changing to the new method.

marshbags smile.png

I can see how you feel, beano. It helps them reduce their caseload too with only one visit, and I wanted to keep the marriage extension, so I always declined in the past.

Other than the money being more the retirement visa is a breeze. I make a reservation in Chiang Mai show up a bit early for copies and fill out forms from when they call my name and I finish with the officer 15 min..

Chaengwattana for the last two extension has pushed me to change from investment visa to a retirement visa. For me there were a couple of factors to consider (1) with an investment visa I can (if I want) get a work permit and work, (2) the investment visa paperwork is trivial compared to a retirement visa and doesn't include trips to my embassy. For marriage versus retirement, the first point would for some, also be a consideration.

Same subject, a little shift. A British guy told me that there was a reduction in the bank balance requirement for a retirement extension for applicants over 70 years of age. He said that anyone over 70 only needed to show a deposit of 400,000 for three months instead of 800,000.

I am not taliking about being "grandfathered," Nor is he confusing the retirement requirements with the marriage requirements. He was quite specific and said it applied to anyone over 70. I have never heard of this. Anything to it?

Same subject, a little shift. A British guy told me that there was a reduction in the bank balance requirement for a retirement extension for applicants over 70 years of age. He said that anyone over 70 only needed to show a deposit of 400,000 for three months instead of 800,000.

I am not taliking about being "grandfathered," Nor is he confusing the retirement requirements with the marriage requirements. He was quite specific and said it applied to anyone over 70. I have never heard of this. Anything to it?

Sounds like bar talk to me. A retired person of any age with 400,000 in the bank plus income monthly to reach the 800,000 required can maintain his or her retirement extension. But double the work. Need a bank letter plus letter from embassy showing income. I tried it once, the immigration officer that day checked everything thoroughly for errors. Made more problems I felt than I needed. Willnot go that way again.

(2) the investment visa paperwork is trivial compared to a retirement visa and doesn't include trips to my embassy.

Other than normal passport/exit card copies the retirement only requires proof of income of bank deposit so how can that be more than showing proof of investment? There really is very little paperwork involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I returned with my retirement extension, but it did not feel as good as when I have gotten my marriage extensions in the past. The friendly, helpful and supportive environment I have experienced in the past going with my wife did not seem to be there in going without her. I guess her influence was quite a difference. They also weren't as enthusiastic about me changing to a retirement visa as when they offered it before, asking me if I was sure I wanted to change, and warning me that I couldn't work if I changed. Well, my biggest fear was that they wouldn't approve the change without my wife being there to be aware of it, but while they did express concern about me coming without my wife (they did remember me coming with her last year), and they did ask why she didn't come, they didn't push the issue.

But as my other fear was that there would be an unexpected requirement I didn't know about, they did spring a surprise in saying that they needed a health certificate from a government hospital. I haven't seen this requirement in any police order or immigration order anywhere. Fortunately they stamped my visa anyway and allowed me to send it in the mail after my return home. I forgot to ask if I need this every year, or if it is just on the first time change to retirement extension. Does anyone know about this? If it is every year, I feel insecure about my status in the country if I get sick when I'm older. I read so many cases of elderly foreigners dying in Thailand, I can't imagine getting booted out just for failing health.

Even though it was 5:30 when I got back, I decided to stop in the hospital on the way home. It was a 2 hour wait for night clinic hours, but from my experience taking my wife there during the day, I don't think it would have been any faster had I waited until the next day, and I was glad I got it done and over with all in one day. They did give me a hospital patient ID card. Does that mean I'm in the system for free medical care the rest of my life? They didn't ask me to pay anything before seeing the doctor, so I wondered at what point one would pay if payment were required. He did fill out a prescription form for me, but it was only to pay the 50 baht fee at the pharmacy cashier to have my certificate stamped with the official seal.

Health certificate is no longer a requirement, but a few offices seem to have mist out on that and still ask for it.

You are now registered at the hospital and have your own record number, so they can loook up your history at that hospital. You are not in the free medical care system.

Health certificate is no longer a requirement, but a few offices seem to have mist out on that and still ask for it.

You are now registered at the hospital and have your own record number, so they can loook up your history at that hospital. You are not in the free medical care system.

Thanks Mario. I guess I'd better pick up another certificate before I go next year just in case.