Fake "international Driving Permit" ... Worth Getting?

RoyDee

Are those credit-card sized (with photo) fake Int'l Driving "permits" really worth having for long-term visitors here? (Khao Sarn Rd ... about 1K Baht). Isn't a real Int'l Permit from home country better ... or aren't they recognised here? Or will you just end up paying tea money anyway if stopped by cops. Can farang get a Thai driving licence? How? Can that be bought too? Any advice welcome .... thanks.

:o I have always tried to be safe when it comes to the laws.

The laws in Thailand require that you have a drivers license to operate a vehicle in Thailand.

A separate license is required to ride a motorcycle.

When I was working there, I had 3 license for motor vehicles. A license for a car and small truck. A license for large trucks & trailors 5 Ton and up. I also had a license to drive a motorcycle.

Thailand does recognize the valid International Drivers License good for a period not to exceed one year.

The US State Department recommends US citizens/residents get an International Drivers License through the AAA organization. This license has your picture and information from your US drivers license. It is also written in numerous languages. This license is good in over 40 countries for a period up to 1 year.

Technically, if you are in Thailand on a work permit that will last longer than 1 year or as a resident you are elgible to apply for a Thai Drivers License.

On the other hand, many foreigners drive in Thailand and never get a license and never get stopped by the police.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Chief

Don,t be sucked in by these methods and follow your own common sense which you display by questioning them.

A fake licence is against the law first of all and will lead to all sorts of problems including the ones already highlighted.

The most important factor is that it makes any insurance you have invalid and can cost you dearly

in health situations and even your life.

What are you going to do if your seriously hurt or more important if a third party are hurt and you haven,t got the mega bucks to cover the costs.

You,ve also got the dependants to take into account on both sides.

Getting a legal driving licence is easy enough to get if your legally entitled to have one.

If your not don,t drive it,s simple and common sense.

Use some other means of transport to get about.

I have heard lot,s of idiots bragging about putting one over on the police and not getting caught.

I,ve been called all sorts of things for taking the legal route but hey, who is the real fool in these 2

versions.

The jails are full of the ones who think they know best.

Thailand jails are no picnic for these offenders either.

marshbags :o:D:D

Well said Marshy,

It only cost me about 50b for the Thai license and took an hour and a half for the process at the LTO.

It's well worth getting one, even just for the peace of mind. Also, a valid Thai license is easier to carry around or to show at hotel receptions than carrying a passport everywhere.

This is a no-brainer.

I am 100% with marshbags and gazza etc. The police recognise the fakes.

A simple question, "would you drive in your home country with a fake licence?",, of course you wouldn't, so why do it here?

The law is quite clear, you need a national licence AND a (genuine) International Driving Permit or a Thai licence to be legal. A Thai licence is easy to get (see the pinned thread at the top of this forum), you don't need a work permit, just a non-immigrant visa, a cheap medical certificate and a few bits of paper from the embassy or immigration, if you have an IDP you don't need to do the test.

Having a Thai licence is a valid ID, reducing the requirement for carrying your passport and will often get you 'local' prices at dual-price locations (national parks etc.

This is a no-brainer.

I am 100% with marshbags and gazza etc. The police recognise the fakes.

A simple question, "would you drive in your home country with a fake licence?",, of course you wouldn't, so why do it here?

The law is quite clear, you need a national licence AND a (genuine) International Driving Permit or a Thai licence to be legal. A Thai licence is easy to get (see the pinned thread at the top of this forum), you don't need a work permit, just a non-immigrant visa, a cheap medical certificate and a few bits of paper from the embassy or immigration, if you have an IDP you don't need to do the test.

Having a Thai licence is a valid ID, reducing the requirement for carrying your passport and will often get you 'local' prices at dual-price locations (national parks etc.

One bit of additional info on the int. driving licence, in Thailand " They are only valid for the first 3 months of driving " not the validity of the time covered on issue. i.e. 12 months, 24 months ect. ect. as in your home country.

If you look at the list of countries they are valid for, which you should have got with the licence, it states ( or did when i had one ) 3 months only for Thailand.

marshbags :o:D:D

p.s. thanks for the chuckle chuckok re the cornflake box

One more minor point. the only legit International Driver's Permit (IDP) is one issued by the country that issued the Drivers license you hold. The IDP by itself is worthless as it is only considered a translation of your license (even though it probably won't have Thai as one of the translations). It's all based on treaty agreements.

The real IDP's are usually cheaper than the fake ones. As one poster stated, it's $10 in the US through AAA, they are prohibited from charging more. They have a website and you can submit by mail.

This doesn't mean that some cop won't accept a fake, they are more concerned with tea money than paperwork. Insurance companies would certainly use it as a reason not to pay off though in case of an accident.

I think the no license on-the-spot fine in Pattaya is 200 Baht.

This doesn't mean that some cop won't accept a fake, they are more concerned with tea money than paperwork.

I would imagine most times they'd make you voluntarily make a donation to the Policeman's Ball.

That way, everyone gets something out it. :o

But when you get the likes of today for instance, when I was riding from Aranyaprathet, the police were out in large numbers doing what they are meant to do. Stopping all types of vehicle and actually giving out tickets. Luckily I did nothing wrong and knew from memory where all the police checks where so I was only asked to show my license once on a random pull-over check.

I suppose it was just that one day of the month when the police have to make up their monthly ticket quota in the space of a few hours. :D