Thai Citeznship

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's the case, then another 5 year wait for all new PR holders.

The MoI's guidelines do specify 5 year's as a PR but it is possible that they have some discretion in this because the Act in Section 10.4 only calls for "having a domicile in the Thai Kingdom for a consecutive period of not less than five years....". I believe that a poster in dbrenn's thread on citizenship said that he was allowed to apply on the basis of less than 5 years' PR with the balance made up of time on NON-IMM B visas or PR pending stamps. The inexplicable delay in approving PR since 2006 would certainly be grounds for exercising such discretion. It is possible that being on a yellow tabian baan (TR13) might help.

Anyone who is waiting for PR and intends to apply for citizenship afterwards should certainly put this question to Special Branch and let us know what they say.

One post with false information removed.

Yes you may travel if you obtain a re-entry permit first. The meaning is you must be on extensions of stay for a total of 3 years prior to application. You do not have to remain in Thailand for the total time without leaving.

Hi All,

I followed the post here and have contacted the SB for Thai nationality application. The police office has given very detailed explanation on the application process and reviewed my document. He was quite confident that I would be successful if I made the application through him. However my house registration is in Banglamung Chonburi and he advised that my application should be submitted through Chonburi police department which may take the process a bit longer. He also advised me that I could move my house registration to Bangkok by this way,I could submit the application through him. My wife has contacted the Banglamung police station and they are not aware if any Thai nationality application though them and just advised us to contact the Pattaya municipal office.

I believe that if the Thai nationiality application submission through the Bangkok Special Branch police department should be more smooth and I saw a lot of applications on the police officer's table. However I also worry about moving my house registration could affect my application. I will try to contact the Pattaya municipal and Chonburi police department for further advise. But I would like to know if any benefit to move my house registration to Bangkok in order to speed up my application

(Note: I got PR over 5 years, married to Thai wife, have work permit, have paid tax and made donations, can speak good Thai.)

Thank you.

The big advantage is that SB in BKK has superior knowledge about the procedure, which can save you time. Local police will have a lot less knowledge and might need to look things up, etc.

Thank you for your advise. I would like to know if anyone living in Chonburi/Pattaya has successfully submitted and get approval of their Thai nationality application. If yes where did you submitted your application. Thank you very much.smile.png

Hi All,

I followed the post here and have contacted the SB for Thai nationality application. The police office has given very detailed explanation on the application process and reviewed my document. He was quite confident that I would be successful if I made the application through him. However my house registration is in Banglamung Chonburi and he advised that my application should be submitted through Chonburi police department which may take the process a bit longer. He also advised me that I could move my house registration to Bangkok by this way,I could submit the application through him. My wife has contacted the Banglamung police station and they are not aware if any Thai nationality application though them and just advised us to contact the Pattaya municipal office.

I believe that if the Thai nationiality application submission through the Bangkok Special Branch police department should be more smooth and I saw a lot of applications on the police officer's table. However I also worry about moving my house registration could affect my application. I will try to contact the Pattaya municipal and Chonburi police department for further advise. But I would like to know if any benefit to move my house registration to Bangkok in order to speed up my application

(Note: I got PR over 5 years, married to Thai wife, have work permit, have paid tax and made donations, can speak good Thai.)

Thank you.

Why would the wife contact the Banglamung police department when they told you to contact the Chonburi police department??

Hi All,

Thank you.

Why would the wife contact the Banglamung police department when they told you to contact the Chonburi police department??

First we thought that the same police station at Banglamung that issued the Alien Registration Book will handle my Thai nationality application. Obviously we found out that is not correct and we will try to contact the Chonburi police department (to be honest I don't know where is it sick.gif, and my wife is trying to find it out). This is why I am also trying to find it out from this forum if anyone can advise........wai.gif. Or even better if anyone living in Chonburi/Pattaya but has actually submitted their Thai nationality application in Bangkok Special Branch police department can also give their valuable advise to me. I am planning to submit my application in October.smile.png

Edited by chiyiuwing

Hi All,

Thank you.

First we thought that the same police station at Banglamung that issued the Alien Registration Book will handle my Thai nationality application. Obviously we found out that is not correct and we will try to contact the Chonburi police department (to be honest I don't know where is it sick.gif, and my wife is trying to find it out). This is why I am also trying to find it out from this forum if anyone can advise........wai.gif. Or even better if anyone living in Chonburi/Pattaya but has actually submitted their Thai nationality application in Bangkok Special Branch police department can also give their valuable advise to me. I am planning to submit my application in October.smile.png

According to the MoI's guidelines applicants residing outside Bangkok have to apply at the Special Branch Provincial HQ for their province, i.e. Chonburi in your case. There have been quite a few applications made by Pattaya residents, so you should be in luck. Someone at Chonburi SB must know how to file the applications.

3. Must have been in Thaiand for 3 consecutive years.

does it mean u cant exit the country for days,weeks, months??

No, but you must have had a continuous NON-Imm visa, work permit as well as three calendar years' of tax receipts notarised by the Revenue Dept. Holidays and business trips abroad of reasonable length are perfectly OK. Even a job change is permitted as long as you move straight into another job without a period of unemployment in between. A couple of weeks would be OK as it is rarely possible to get a new WP immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get some clarification, by having given birth to a thai citizen & being married to a thai citizen (coming up 10 years) I can apply for my own citizenship after 1 year of continuous non o visas??

Do I or my husband still need to make 3 years of income tax payments or is it one year?

Many thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.

Boo, When I applied for citizenship all that was relevant was that I'd produced a Thai and was married to one. I left the country after application, was called for an interview while abroad, told them I'd contact them when I got back, and got citizenship within a year of returning. I had independently, prior to applying, got PR and had ~ a decade of continuous B visa and tax history. I did, however, let the PR lapse while abroad, and returned, of course, on a new cat B visa. No one asked for husband's tax history. The only thing that seems to be cast in stone to give a fast track for foreign women married to Thais is our contribution to the population. I never sang.

Very interesting information

Can somebody clarify if I understood well? I am not an English native speaker

To apply for Thai citizenship in my case that I have been married more than 3 years with a Thai lady I must:

1) Have 3 consecutive 1 year extensions on my non-O or non-B

2) Have a work permit

3) Income 40000 bath a month for 3 years proved by tax receipts

4) Criminal record clearance

5) Have made a donation to a charitable organization in Thailand

I don't need to:

1) Be fluent in spoken and written Thai language, or sing Thai National Anthem

2) Have permanent residency in Thailand

3) Give up my nationality because my country allows double citizenship

Time to get the citizenship less than 3 years

Thanks a lot to everyone who can clarify if what I have understood is correct

You don't need PR as marreid to a Thai naitonal, but you will need to have been on a tabien baan (yellow) for 3 years.

I understand the need to be on a Tabien Ban (yellow or blue) before applying but are you sure it needs to have been done 3 years prior to applying?

You don't need PR as marreid to a Thai naitonal, but you will need to have been on a tabien baan (yellow) for 3 years.

I don't understand. I have a 1 year extension based on marriage. We rent our apartment but the landlady doesn't allow my wife to put her name on it. So I showed immigration her house registration (in a different address) and the rental contract on my name, and it was fine for them. What is a tabien baan (yellow)? Do I need to buy an apartment or a house on my wife's name?

I understand the need to be on a Tabien Ban (yellow or blue) before applying but are you sure it needs to have been done 3 years prior to applying?

That is my recallection, but I very well could be wrong.

I don't understand. I have a 1 year extension based on marriage. We rent our apartment but the landlady doesn't allow my wife to put her name on it. So I showed immigration her house registration (in a different address) and the rental contract on my name, and it was fine for them. What is a tabien baan (yellow)? Do I need to buy an apartment or a house on my wife's name?

One more thing. Is everything else that I have understood correct? Is there anything else I should have?

Very interesting information

Can somebody clarify if I understood well? I am not an English native speaker

To apply for Thai citizenship in my case that I have been married more than 3 years with a Thai lady I must:

1) Have 3 consecutive 1 year extensions on my non-O or non-B

2) Have a work permit

3) Income 40000 bath a month for 3 years proved by tax receipts

4) Criminal record clearance

5) Have made a donation to a charitable organization in Thailand

I don't need to:

1) Be fluent in spoken and written Thai language, or sing Thai National Anthem

2) Have permanent residency in Thailand

3) Give up my nationality because my country allows double citizenship

Time to get the citizenship less than 3 years

Thanks a lot to everyone who can clarify if what I have understood is correct

I do believe you need to speak thai. This is from reading here on TV. Someone correct me if i am wrong..

That is my recallection, but I very well could be wrong.

From presonal experience, I can confirm that the yellow house registration does not need to be aged by three years. Mine was just over 8 months old when I applied.

A Thai perosn is registered on a house hold book, = tabien baan. For them the colour of the book is blue. Foreigners can also be registered at an address, provided they have a non-immirgant visa. But in their case the book is yellow.

You do not need to buy a house or condo, but need permission of the landlord.

A lot of informaiton on Thai nationality here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a102367-Guidelines-for-Application-for-Natu.html (The guidelines for getting Thai nationality)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Story-Thai-Citizenship-Applicatio-t121353.html (thread about applying for Thai citezenship)

Please ask further questions in the above mentioned thread, to keep the information in one place.