Thai Citeznship

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on your country of origin you maybe required to give up you current nationalty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must ask, are there actually people in this world that are prepared to dump their own nationality in order to be a "thai"????????

Seems in my eyes to be a downhill decision

Glegolo

depending on your country of origin you maybe required to give up you current nationalty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must ask, are there actually people in this world that are prepared to dump their own nationality in order to be a "thai"????????

Glegolo

+1

Anyone doing this deserves Thai citizenship!!

• Like 2

You need to have Permanent Residence in Thailand or be married to a Thai before you can even apply.

Patrick

Permanent residence and 5 years total in country if not married to a Thai.

Three years on extensions if married to a Thai plus song singing and Thai language test is not required.

They ask you to select a Thai name , but ultimately you do not have to use it.

First name only? Or also last name?

My children and wife have my last name. So is my last name a thai name? Makes no sense but tit..

When a naturalized citizen chooses a surname, he must choose one that is new. Ie, not in use by any other Thai citizen. There are other rules, too -- limitations on number of syllables, meaning, etc.

Glegolo

The Burmese, the Mainland Chinese, the Nepalese, the Indians...use your imagination.

Yeah, you're right...mustn't upset the OP......lots of people wanting Thai citizenship and prepared to give up their current nationality.

If you want to live in Thailand forever, or even just a long time you should be able to get Thai citizenship. In most cases, you don't need to give up your other nationalit(ies) either. I can't see any reason why it would be a good idea to NOT become a Thai citizen, given the chance. After all, millions of Asians including hundreds of thousands of Thais have moved abroad, many to western countries and have generally become citizens. There is no reason why a bit of reciprocity wouldn't be welcome.

• Like 2

glegolo

I have posted this for information only, I do not want see troll posts. or negative feedback about Thailand. i would ask the forum mods to remove any such posts

WHAT???? Who are you to call me a troll???? take it easy my friend. I write what I think. And I personally think that exchanging my swedish nationality against a thai one IS a downhill decision, so WHAT???? If you ask any thai here in Thailand they will answer you exactly the same but the other way around of course.... And i will not cry over that "crime".......

glegolo

• Like 1

I'm married to a Thai woman but have never worked here and thus never had a WP or paid income tax. All the other requirments of the citizenship app. are achievable but there's now no way to achieve those 3 prerequisites - I've no desire to spend years teaching English to be able to fulfil them.

A real pity because my life's here, my wife & her family (my stepchildren) are here and we don't want to leave to live in UK or anywhere else for that matter. It'd be nice to be my wife's equal, in the eyes of Thai law, but it seems it cannot be. Incidentally, my wife doesn't like the lack of equality either and would like me to be co-owner of "our" property around town, pay the same entrance fee to National Parks (by right, not as a concession because I can flash a driving licence), etc. I'd have thought, logically, that having an adequate income from abroad would satisfy the requirements but not so, it seems.

I wonder how many others have similar thoughts on the matter.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 2

Glegolo

The Burmese, the Mainland Chinese, the Nepalese, the Indians...use your imagination.

Yeah, you're right...mustn't upset the OP......lots of people wanting Thai citizenship and prepared to give up their current nationality.

If you want to live in Thailand forever, or even just a long time you should be able to get Thai citizenship. In most cases, you don't need to give up your other nationalit(ies) either. I can't see any reason why it would be a good idea to NOT become a Thai citizen, given the chance. After all, millions of Asians including hundreds of thousands of Thais have moved abroad, many to western countries and have generally become citizens. There is no reason why a bit of reciprocity wouldn't be welcome.

I thought there was a fee of around 190,000 baht if citizenship is granted........is this so?

I'm married to a Thai woman but have never worked here and thus never had a WP or paid income tax. All the other requirments of the citizenship app. are achievable but there's now no way to achieve those 3 prerequisites - I've no desire to spend years teaching English to be able to fulfil them.

A real pity because my life's here, my wife & her family (my stepchildren) are here and we don't want to leave to live in UK or anywhere else for that matter. It'd be nice to be my wife's equal, in the eyes of Thai law, but it seems it cannot be. Incidentally, my wife doesn't like the lack of equality either and would like me to be co-owner of "our" property around town, pay the same entrance fee to National Parks (by right, not as a concession because I can flash a driving licence), etc. I'd have thought, logically, that having an adequate income from abroad would satisfy the requirements but not so, it seems.

What is the 3rd prerequisite? Of course if you want you could open some business that involves little to no work. Set up a company have a payroll etc etc! It may sound like a big deal but it isnt. This would take care of a WP and taxes...

• Like 1

Myself and many others I am sure.

Even PR is out of reach for the same reason.

Our wives could possibly get it changed since they are Thai citizens who could petition the government for a change to the laws and rules. It seems now might be the right time since we now have a female PM.

I have Residency, and the only benefit I seem to have is that I do not need to apply for an annual visa. On the downside, in order to leave Thailand temporarily, I require 2 re-entry permits, each costing 1900bt for single re-entry or 3,800 for multiple.

What additional benefits would anyone obtain from citizenship, apart from being able to buy land?

I have Residency, and the only benefit I seem to have is that I do not need to apply for an annual visa. On the downside, in order to leave Thailand temporarily, I require 2 re-entry permits, each costing 1900bt for single re-entry or 3,800 for multiple.

What additional benefits would anyone obtain from citizenship, apart from being able to buy land?

Work without permit.

Never visit immigration again.

Visa-free travel to neighboring countries.

Own your company 100%.

Thai rates everywhere with no hassle.

Eligible for national health care.

Easy access to credit cards, finance...for starters.

• Like 2