New Iphone 5

devaram

To add some positive news - iPhone 5 has been great so far. Battery life seems to be way better than my iPhone 4, 2 days of hard use instead of just one.

Is that with everything on? No dumbing down?

hehe lets see the answer. To my understanding the battery of the iPhone 5 is known to be worse than the one of the iPhone 4/4S. This is what the reviews that have been done are saying. Also nikster, you cannot compare the battery of a brand new phone with the battery of a phone that has already been used for many months/years.

Why can I not compare that? I think I can!

I don't know why the IP5 battery life should be worse than the IP4 - it's a bigger battery. So unless you're doing something that uses more battery than before, all things being equal, the 5 should get better battery life.

Yes that was with everything on. However - I did to a clean re-install rather than migrate my old phone (which has been migrated since 2007, and on a whole variety of jailbroken iPhone models). So it might very well be that my iPhone 4 is particularly bad right now. It certainly got a *lot* worse with iOS 5. On iOS 4 it had great battery life. On iOS 5... bad. I didn't even upgrade to iOS 6 because that puts even more load on. I really hope they fix it at some point.

You can but it makes no sence as I presume your iphone 4s isn't new.

As for the battery of the iphone 5, bigger doesn't mean better. Read unbaised reviews. They say the same. It ain't better than the one from iphone 4/4S although specs say differently. I assume it is due to the iOS6 not being fully polished.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am going to go and read reviews now, instead of looking at that phone in my pocket. I don't know I think I have better things to do.

There's a few things going on with battery life, it's not an easy answer:

- If you use 4G, you're going to use more battery, so the iPhone 5 might seem like it has worse battery life

- iOS 6 is much worse about battery conservation than iOS 5 - this will have an impact if you're comparing different OSs. I hope they fix it, but as of now, iOS 6 is ... crap. I am traveling in Hong Kong, and I found maps to be as good as useless, it's pretty amazing, and not for the reasons I expected. But that in another topic.

- It really depends how you use it. My iPhone 4 had awesome battery life on iOS 4. 2 days easily, any time.

In summary I think the iPhone 5 has a better battery life than the iPhone 4 for sure. iOS 6 more than makes up for that though.

Mine should be here in a couple of days.

Question from me - Is it possible to sync it with my MB Pro (contacts etc) before I go to AIS to get it up and running? Or do I have to get it set up with AIS first (sims etc) ?

I do not own any previous iphone models.

Edited by DMC1

Question from me - Is it possible to sync it with my MB Pro (contacts etc) before I go to AIS to get it up and running? Or do I have to get it set up with AIS first (sims etc) ?

Yes of course no problem, once you got it, you do what you want with it. The only reason the operator always puts a sim before handing you the phone is for warranty reasons but you could actually do it yourself by putting your sim and activating it through itunes.

edit: If you don't have a micro-Sim then you won't be able to do anything as it is required to initially activate the phone.

Edited by Polanskiman

Yes of course no problem, once you got it, you do what you want with it. The only reason the operator always puts a sim before handing you the phone is for warranty reasons but you could actually do it yourself by putting your sim and activating it through itunes.

edit: If you don't have a micro-Sim then you won't be able to do anything as it is required to initially activate the phone.

To clarify this:

- Get the phone set up with AIS, let them do whatever they want to do. I think it's great that they activate it, in case there's a problem.

- Inspect the phone closely before accepting!

- Once you connect it to your MBPro, you'll be asked to set up the phone again, and iTunes has options to sync contacts of course. It also syncs a bunch of other stuff, such as: Mail accounts (meaning you don't have to enter all the details for all your mail accounts), Safari bookmarks, Notes, and other things.

To clarify this:

- Get the phone set up with AIS, let them do whatever they want to do. I think it's great that they activate it, in case there's a problem.

- Once you connect it to your MBPro, you'll be asked to set up the phone again, and iTunes has options to sync contacts of course. It also syncs a bunch of other stuff, such as: Mail accounts (meaning you don't have to enter all the details for all your mail accounts), Safari bookmarks, Notes, and other things.

Let me re-clarify this. That is if he gets the iPhone through AIS. If he get it through the Apple Store, my advise is valid and no need to go to AIS beforehand.

To clarify this:

Let me re-clarify this. That is if he gets the iPhone through AIS. If he get it through the Apple Store, my advise is valid and no need to go to AIS beforehand.

Yes, sorry guys forgot to mention phone is coming from Apple Store. It's with DHL in BKK now according to tracking number.

Got mine last Friday delivered from the store. Perfect condition as it should be. Good bit of kit & I am finding that easily I get 2 days use out of the battery - not a heavy user anyway. I use it more for work emails & a bit of news surfing. I dont play games or mess around on Youtube. Battery life is better than I was anticipating.

I'm on the AIS B839 monthly contract.

Just to add AIS in Pattaya told me they have had many returns with the white iPhone & recommend black. Some kind of spotty defect noticed on the back of the casing.

Edited by DMC1
  • Like 2

Got mine last Friday delivered from the store. Perfect condition as it should be. Good bit of kit & I am finding that easily I get 2 days use out of the battery - not a heavy user anyway. I use it more for work emails & a bit of news surfing. I dont play games or mess around on Youtube. Battery life is better than I was anticipating.

I'm on the AIS B839 monthly contract.

Just to add AIS in Pattaya told me they have had many returns with the white iPhone & recommend black. Some kind of spotty defect noticed on the back of the casing.

Good to hear the phone is working fine and as expected for you. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to order mine from the online Apple store. I presume I can get a micro sim from AIS while I wait for the phone to arrive. Will that sim have to have a new number or can I have my present number transferred to it?

AIS can give you a new sim. But iPhone 5 needs nano sim, even smaller than micro sim. If you have your current number there, then they can just put it over to your new sim. If you want to keep using your old sim, you need to ask about dual sim. There is a thread about this somewhere on Thai visa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need a water proof case like this combined with something like Mophi Juice Pack Plus.

Ok I know something like this wouldn't slip neatly into most front trousers pockets but it beats putting it in a plastic bag when going to the beach or boondocks.

The lifeproof case takes care of the ports - e.g. audio out and USB port are easily accessible under waterproof latches.

It has a membrane over the mic so you can talk normally. And it has cutouts for the camera and flash - you can use it as an underwater camera! It's not exactly pretty but it's definitely well thought out.

I bought this after I lost an iPhone 3GS to a tropical rainstorm. In my mind, water is the #1 cause of death for your phone so a tough case that doesn't protect from water is useless. I've dropped my iPhone 4 onto concrete numerous times with no case on it, there's nary a scratch on it; maybe I was lucky - but for normal drops I am absolutely sure any old rubber/plastic case will protect it well enough. As long as the glass doesn't directly hit a hard object, it's not going to break.

Got my new one iPhone yesterday. So far, it's perfect. No scratches, WiFi works, battery is fine. Knock on wood. True is learning also, they handed me the phone first thing, before doing any setup etc, to check the case. All good. What a beautiful piece of hardware! Didn't expect the screen to be that much better compared to the iPhone 4....

Here's a funny thing that happened with my battery life yesterday that I wanted to share. Normal use for me yesterday after I took it off charge at 9am. After less than 2 hours of usage by 9pm my battery life was down to 40%. Normally I get 2 days easily and after 1st day I normally have around 60-70% left.

Anyway, I put it on 'Airplane Mode' at 10pm and at 7am this morning it was down to 4% !! I slid the toggle on Airplane mode to 'off' and within 5 seconds my remaining battery life disappeared and the phone shutdown !!

I called Apple in Singapore and she told me to do a full wipe & restore through itunes and if it didn't work they would give me a new phone. I didn't bother with this and the battery is fine again today. Still at 95% since I charged it this morning.

Any reason for this? I've heard of Apps getting 'stuck/frozen'. I've no idea why this happened.

^ that's true but I think it's just that iOS 6 has some bugs that allow apps to run wild, or it's one of the system apps.

iPhone 5 users really need a software fix for this, I hope they get it together soon. I've gotten used to the fact that I only get one day's use out of it but it's pretty ridiculous and it *should* be much better than that.

Edited by nikster