New Iphone 5

devaram

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always buy the unlocked version from the US, preorder starts on the 14th.

Anyone know if the Micro Sim and be trimmed to the Nano Sim?

Is the Nano Sim currently available anywhere in Thailand?

I see the unlocked 16GB 4S is down to $549 and the unlocked 8GB 450.

Looks the 5 is $649 to $849

I did chuckle at this....

The headache for many people will be making the new Lightning port compatible with the array of peripherals they've collected over the years. Apple says speaker makers such as Bose and JBL are working on new docks and speakers for the connector.

In the meantime, you'll need a separate $29 adapter that turns the port into the old 30-pin connector, a $39 cord that does the same or a $19 USB cord that connects to the Lightning port.

These seemingly small changes could result in big costs to consumers.

Velti PLC, a mobile advertising company, said the cost to consumers could reach around $400 if they purchase an iPhone 5 and then decide to buy a new screen protector ($15); case ($29); belt attachment ($45); speaker system ($250); adapter ($29); spare USB cord ($19); and car charger ($25).

My understanding the US models will be pretty useless everywhere else in the world for certain networks.

You need the global version model A1429 to have full benefit in europe in asia.

Then of course there is the nano sim card issue if you buy the grey market version from MBK....I am sure there will be a solution but not sure yet.

I did chuckle at this....

The headache for many people will be making the new Lightning port compatible with the array of peripherals they've collected over the years. Apple says speaker makers such as Bose and JBL are working on new docks and speakers for the connector.

In the meantime, you'll need a separate $29 adapter that turns the port into the old 30-pin connector, a $39 cord that does the same or a $19 USB cord that connects to the Lightning port.

These seemingly small changes could result in big costs to consumers.

Velti PLC, a mobile advertising company, said the cost to consumers could reach around $400 if they purchase an iPhone 5 and then decide to buy a new screen protector ($15); case ($29); belt attachment ($45); speaker system ($250); adapter ($29); spare USB cord ($19); and car charger ($25).

Because it's misguided in so many ways? This article has got it all - tech meme, non-news, fake outrage... even a half-hearted attempt at sensationalizing the non-news.

It's an outrage, I am telling you.

Ycwve.jpg

Going to London next month, and would appreciate someone telling me in plain, non-tech terms what would be the price, tech or other pro s and cons of buying the iPhone5 there rather than waiting to buy it in Thailand.

Google is your friend.

If I get it in London with a London micro simcard what happens when I'm back here if a local such sim/number isn't yet available? (What to google exactly for the answer to this question?)

Grey market - End of this month.

Officially - End of october of first week of November

According to Apple their Thai store web page says "soon"! In reality it's December. Guess Apple assumes as long as one of their new products arrive in what they consider a third World country during the same year as it's introduced to the World everything will be fine. Would love to see Thai's boycott the stupid thing but they certainly will not......go figure!

Apple have just listed the price for unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA.

The US prices for the iPhone 5 are $649, $749 and $849 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models respectively.

An Apple representative told

TechCrunch

that the unlocked version of iPhone 5 won't be available in the US for several weeks, repeating a pattern seen with the iPhone 4S last year.

Closer to Thailand, the Hong Kong Apple store now shows the price there as starting at HKD$5588, with availability on 21 September.

But the big question is: will any Thai carriers have nano-sims available any time soon? Anyone check with AIS, True, dTac? With that, it's just an expensive iPod here.

... i came accross the full version of iOS6 ready for download. Might try it on a spare device ... is Thai GSM or CDMA - ??

If you are not sure, don't do it.

iPhone in Thailand is GSM. CDMA network was shutdown. Nobody is that naive to buy a verizon cdma iPhone in Thailand (no sim card slot) :)

Grey market - End of this month.

Officially - End of october of first week of November

According to Apple their Thai store web page says "soon"! In reality it's December. Guess Apple assumes as long as one of their new products arrive in what they consider a third World country during the same year as it's introduced to the World everything will be fine. Would love to see Thai's boycott the stupid thing but they certainly will not......go figure!

Thais should boycott the iPhone because Apple don't release it the same time as their biggest markets???

Your talking about 100s of millions of phones.... I think its more a demand thing, not a judgment on Thailand's standing in the world order

Going to London next month, and would appreciate someone telling me in plain, non-tech terms what would be the price, tech or other pro s and cons of buying the iPhone5 there rather than waiting to buy it in Thailand.

Google is your friend.

If I get it in London with a London micro simcard what happens when I'm back here if a local such sim/number isn't yet available? (What to google exactly for the answer to this question?)

If you get a nano sim in the UK, then it will be for a UK network. I don't think you need to worry about the sim. You say your going next month, so by the time you come back I'd guess all thai operators will offer nano sim cards.

UK prices for an unlocked iPhone are here http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone5

The iphone sold in the UK will work on Thailand's networks - http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Thailand doesn't have an LTE network, and probably wont (ever?) for at least the next 3 years. They have a poor 3G network now, and yes the UK iphone 5 will work on it, as the current iphones do.

The phone can be pre-ordered now and delivery starts from the 21st. I ordered 2 yesterday, and the delivery estimate is 2 weeks. You say your going to London next month, depending on when, it might be hard to find one in a shop. Maybe think about ordering one before....?

Closer to Thailand, the Hong Kong Apple store now shows the price there as starting at HKD$5588, with availability on 21 September.

Interesting... might get me one in HK... price is on close to the US unlocked price, if you add taxes (HKD5588 = USD 720).

I imagine that price will go down in a few months when there's availability. As always with Apple their delayed world-wide rollouts are due to demand only. They'll wait how demand vs supply develops & ship 'em as soon as possible in all the other markets.

Ta. Thought so (gsm-advance, doh). Was gonna make it a friday arvo project for the ipad, but not gonna bother now.

... i came accross the full version of iOS6 ready for download. Might try it on a spare device ... is Thai GSM or CDMA - ??

If you are not sure, don't do it.

iPhone in Thailand is GSM. CDMA network was shutdown. Nobody is that naive to buy a verizon cdma iPhone in Thailand (no sim card slot) smile.png

Google is your friend.

If you get a nano sim in the UK, then it will be for a UK network. I don't think you need to worry about the sim. You say your going next month, so by the time you come back I'd guess all thai operators will offer nano sim cards.

UK prices for an unlocked iPhone are here http://store.apple.c.../iphone/iphone5

The iphone sold in the UK will work on Thailand's networks - http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Thailand doesn't have an LTE network, and probably wont (ever?) for at least the next 3 years. They have a poor 3G network now, and yes the UK iphone 5 will work on it, as the current iphones do.

The phone can be pre-ordered now and delivery starts from the 21st. I ordered 2 yesterday, and the delivery estimate is 2 weeks. You say your going to London next month, depending on when, it might be hard to find one in a shop. Maybe think about ordering one before....?

Thank you very much for a specific and very helpful answer. Glad you are so certain that the nano sims will be available by say early november - even if the iphone 5 is still unavailable officially? (I assume I'll be able to keep my current number for such a card.) Surprized you think the iphone 5 won't be easily available in the shops some 10+ days after official launch in England - I'll look into that and ordering online and how long deliveries of the latter are. Can't say I understood the stuff in the second link about LTE etc but I note you say that the England phone will work perfectly normally with a thai nano card. I assume the London iphone is identical with those sold in Singapore or HongKong for the purposes of use in Thailand - so there would be no advantage in buying one from those cites - or even the official one that is eventually released in Thailand.

I bought my current Iphone 4 also from the UK without any problem.

I changed my original SIM for a Micro sim at AIS where i have my number from. ( pre paid )

I'm planning to do the same again with Iphone 5 as i have a lot of english friends who can take to phone from the UK to Thailand for me.

I also read that it is possible ( but a little bit more complex ) to create your own Nano sim from a Micro sIm card.

I also read that it is possible ( but a little bit more complex ) to create your own Nano sim from a Micro sIm card.

Yeah I think you just cut it down, same as cutting a normal SIM -> micro SIM format. Did it with a swiss army knife once, worked OK. The nano SIM is the same kind of chip layout as micro, only with even less cardboard around it...