Do Not Go Near Bangkok University (Rangsit Campus)

Ratakhun

Lopburi3 has a fair point. The truth is that the biggest "governmental" mistake was moving the capital to a position even further down the flood plain. That and ignoring the success of a flood barrier in saving another city built on a flood plain!

http://en.wikipedia..../Thames_Barrier

Design and construction has an interesting piece. "Total construction cost was around £534 million (£1.3 billion at 2001 prices) with an additional £100 million for river defences." Even with 11 years of inflation this will still not reach the B120 billion (£2.4 billion) budget that was "exhausted" in the past 12 months.

But London's flood barriers stops the tide coming in. The Thames never floods from upstream like the Chao Phraya does. If Bangkok had a similar flood barrier, then as well as stopping the tide coming in, it would stop the flood waters going out. What Bangkok needs is a massive aqueduct system that diverts water around the city - similar to what they have in LA. Could easily be built if there was the political will. Surely it would be cheaper than annual flooding.

Nearly correct. It is true that the Thames shouldn't flood from upstream flows alone, however these are the issue as when they combine with the tidal surge, as happened in BKK last year, the effect is stronger and this is what the worry is. Without the tidal surge in BKK last year there would have been a greater opportunity to save a lot more of BKK. Note that the system also includes "an extra £100 million for river defences". This is here to allow control of the upstream flow. This included a better set of controls using the locks throughout the Thames.

Did you know that, using these locks, they are able to "empty" the river at certain times of year to allow volunteers to help clean the river-bed.

http://twickerati.wo...-in-twickenham/

This is another great idea that could be executed here. There would be no shortage of volunteers as most Thais along the river believe in recycling in a very organic way.

---EDIT---

Another link about the draw-off

http://www.pla.co.uk/display_fixedpage.cfm/id/4142

Edited by draftvader

That's "normal" flooding in that area after a heavy rain, isn't it?

That is normal for that area. Right now it's clearing up pretty well.

479122_10151203364675272_2119742980_o.jpg

I hope my girl-friend is alright... but it's gonna downpour again for at least 5 more days according to the weather report, ain't it?

wow, I live on the Western part of Bangkok, on the other side of the river.

Do you think the floods will reach Bang Kae area?

Just keep an eye on me im at nothaburi also west of the river but above you. If i get flooded so will you. That was how it was last year. But i doubt that it will be this bad this year. I did buy wading boots and such just in case. But i read that Ayuttaya was not hit as hard as last year so i doubt that it will be that bad. But this can still change.

I will go buy a boat tomorrow

tomorrow the price will be double

I know, thats why last year I bought a baby swimming pool and used that.

Was good for about 2 days before it got a whole in it.

I got a small canoe that can hold only 2 people, but its too small, I want one with a motor.

To be honest the capital of Thailand should be moved somewhere between the northeast and north of Thailand. Not only because the ground is more solid but also it will be more central and easier for people go there. Bangkok was named "The Venice of the East" now look at the real Venice. Time to move, but it is sad to see Venice sink. This time it is nature, not a army that will make the capital of Thailand fall.

The water level of the river (klong) near Rangsit University is pretty high as of right now. If there is another heavy rainfall coming, it's going to take a meter or two for the river to be over flown.

Edited by Ratakhun

Lopburi3 has a fair point. The truth is that the biggest "governmental" mistake was moving the capital to a position even further down the flood plain. That and ignoring the success of a flood barrier in saving another city built on a flood plain!

http://en.wikipedia..../Thames_Barrier

Design and construction has an interesting piece. "Total construction cost was around £534 million (£1.3 billion at 2001 prices) with an additional £100 million for river defences." Even with 11 years of inflation this will still not reach the B120 billion (£2.4 billion) budget that was "exhausted" in the past 12 months.

'Exhausted' is that another way of saying 'stolen, skimmed, pilfered, nicked'?