Who Builds The Best Cars These Days?

george

Who builds the best cars these days?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the question was "who builds the best cars" - not which were best values, and as such I'd say hands down Germans (BMW, Merc, WV-group) and Italians (Ferrari, Lamborghini). Yeah Honda is a great value car, but if I didn't have to look at the price I wouldn't have picked one.

I would stick with German engineering anytime...and if you live in Germany,any mechanic can fix them,but with their excellence in maintenance,those cars don't brake that often...IMO smile.png

Thought this was interesting:

New Study: Volkswagen Has Best Total Quality, Toyota Fewest Problems

Acknowledging that “manufacturers are running the tightest ‘quality race’ ever,” Strategic Vision announced the results of its Total Quality Index study in a press release in late August, with good news for Volkswagan, Toyota, Ford and Chrysler:

“With the industry best of only 17% of owners reporting problems, Toyota Motor Sales corporation had the lowest reported problems, resulting in Strategic Vision's lowest “Problem Impact Measure” (PIM) score of 4.29, a Strategic Vision metric that examines the report of the problem, the nature (serious, moderate or minor) of the problem, and the nature of the problem unresolved by dealer.

“Although this is good for Toyota, PIM is only a subset of ‘Total Quality.’ With near universal acceptance that manufacturers are running the tightest “quality race” ever, customers are increasingly defining ‘quality’ holistically and using Total Quality in their decisions. Total Quality measures how closely the experience of quality matches the explicit desires of the customer. In terms of Total Quality, Volkswagen Group of America is the leading corporation, followed by a tie between Ford Motor Company and Chrysler Group.

“‘This is really great news for all those corporations, but the key to success and sales will be products that satisfy the customer's increasingly insatiable need for innovation, and the complete picture of Quality,’ says Strategic Vision President, Alexander Edwards. ‘We point out Total Quality vs. Fewest Problems for a reason. When measuring quality, the complete experience must be part of the calculation and include all the perceptions that influence how people make their decision.’

“Volkswagen Group of America's Total Quality strength centers on segment leaders like Golf, Eos, Tiguan, as well Audi segment leaders A4 and A8. Ford Motor Company was able to finish second (tied with Chrysler Group) with many strong segment rankings, and leadership from Flex, F-150 and F-250/350. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the most improved corporation—Chrysler Group.

“The real message is that innovation is connected to perceptions of quality. If innovation is strong, especially such that customers can say they ‘love it,’ when referring to the product, then perceptions of quality will be greatly (positively) influenced. Strategic Vision research has proven that those who recognize and acknowledge innovation (most new car buyers) will purchase, and not just be driven by counting problems. With all manufacturers being in such close traditional quality proximity (counting problems only), there is little question that those car manufacturers who offer rich and impactful, intuitive, motivationally designed cars will have the advantage going into the future.”

The full release, including the winners of each model category, is here.

Hmmmmm, but someone said here recently in another thread that where it's assembled doesn't matter it's just about design and they're all just the same parts?? whistling.gifrolleyes.gif Don't see ANY of her Majesty's products listed there from ANY present or former colonies save for one.. The ONE!

And it's also noted that Chrysler is listed in there as well, I seem to remember touting their new designs and quality over the past efforts in that same thread..Seems someone has their finger firmly on the pulse of the auto industry giggle.gif ..

What Majesty are you referring too ?

The UK Majesty had no interests in car manufacture. coffee1.gif

rolleyes.gif Surely even YOU understand the meaning of the post?........................................................

On second thought maybe not, I'll leave it to someone else to explain it or you can do your usual oblivious interpretation.. coffee1.gif

Acknowledging that “manufacturers are running the tightest ‘quality race’ ever,” Strategic Vision announced the results of its Total Quality Index study in a press release in late August, with good news for Volkswagan, Toyota, Ford and Chrysler:

“With the industry best of only 17% of owners reporting problems, Toyota Motor Sales corporation had the lowest reported problems, resulting in Strategic Vision's lowest “Problem Impact Measure” (PIM) score of 4.29, a Strategic Vision metric that examines the report of the problem, the nature (serious, moderate or minor) of the problem, and the nature of the problem unresolved by dealer.

“Although this is good for Toyota, PIM is only a subset of ‘Total Quality.’ With near universal acceptance that manufacturers are running the tightest “quality race” ever, customers are increasingly defining ‘quality’ holistically and using Total Quality in their decisions. Total Quality measures how closely the experience of quality matches the explicit desires of the customer. In terms of Total Quality, Volkswagen Group of America is the leading corporation, followed by a tie between Ford Motor Company and Chrysler Group.

“‘This is really great news for all those corporations, but the key to success and sales will be products that satisfy the customer's increasingly insatiable need for innovation, and the complete picture of Quality,’ says Strategic Vision President, Alexander Edwards. ‘We point out Total Quality vs. Fewest Problems for a reason. When measuring quality, the complete experience must be part of the calculation and include all the perceptions that influence how people make their decision.’

“Volkswagen Group of America's Total Quality strength centers on segment leaders like Golf, Eos, Tiguan, as well Audi segment leaders A4 and A8. Ford Motor Company was able to finish second (tied with Chrysler Group) with many strong segment rankings, and leadership from Flex, F-150 and F-250/350. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the most improved corporation—Chrysler Group.

“The real message is that innovation is connected to perceptions of quality. If innovation is strong, especially such that customers can say they ‘love it,’ when referring to the product, then perceptions of quality will be greatly (positively) influenced. Strategic Vision research has proven that those who recognize and acknowledge innovation (most new car buyers) will purchase, and not just be driven by counting problems. With all manufacturers being in such close traditional quality proximity (counting problems only), there is little question that those car manufacturers who offer rich and impactful, intuitive, motivationally designed cars will have the advantage going into the future.”

Hmmmmm, but someone said here recently in another thread that where it's assembled doesn't matter it's just about design and they're all just the same parts?? whistling.gifrolleyes.gif Don't see ANY of her Majesty's products listed there from ANY present or former colonies save for one.. The ONE!

And it's also noted that Chrysler is listed in there as well, I seem to remember touting their new designs and quality over the past efforts in that same thread..Seems someone has their finger firmly on the pulse of the auto industry giggle.gif ..

What Majesty are you referring too ?

The UK Majesty had no interests in car manufacture. coffee1.gif

rolleyes.gif Surely even YOU understand the meaning of the post?........................................................

On second thought maybe not, I'll leave it to someone else to explain it or you can do your usual oblivious interpretation.. coffee1.gif

I wait in anticipation. thumbsup.gif

I had a few cars so far and the most of it were Italian . I never had a problem with them but the reputation of the past is still there . I do love their design .Now , anybody saying that a Ferrari and/or Lamborghini are among the best cars made is joking right ? They are icons to look at and to drive on a day off , not for everyday . Their reliability went up , but is nowhere to any other big company on the market .

Now on the best , everything included , the Asian cars win this department . Maybe the looks aren't the best , but it just works for years and years to come .

Edited by sezze

Of all the questions one could ask about motoring this has to rate as one of the most infantile and ill thought out.

"Best" is totally subjective.

To have a meaningful discussion one would have to set parameters and criteria and that alone would be an insoluble conundrum anyhow.

Location, needs and wants would be just some of the factors.

"Who"" - is this country or company?

you might even want to define "car" - do you include pick-ups, SUVS or did you mean motor vehicles in general..............

• Like 1

Of all the questions one could ask about motoring this has to rate as one of the most infantile and ill thought out.

"Best" is totally subjective.

To have a meaningful discussion one would have to set parameters and criteria and that alone would be an insoluble conundrum anyhow.

Location, needs and wants would be just some of the factors.

"Who"" - is this country or company?

you might even want to define "car" - do you include pick-ups, SUVS or did you mean motor vehicles in general..............

RE your first sentence, George matching post to readers ?tongue.png .

If by best, you mean 'the best in class', IMHO no matter what class you look at, it'll be Euro cars battling it out for the top spots...

Now if you mean best as in 'best for the money', there's a number of classes I think the Asians and Americans will excel at there. If you want to further limit that to Thailand pricing, it's all ruled by Asian makes except for some Asian-built Fords, and except for the luxury/exotic classes of course, IMHO.

Ok I just remember the old Citroen (DS21 or CX) the magnificent Peugeot 504, the cool 205, 2CV unforgettable, the strong Renault R4.

But, hey, I'm talking about 30/40 years ago cars.

So, you could cut France from my list wink.png

The R4 i had came with the optional road condition monitor you lifted up the mats and looked to see if the road was wet or dry.

I have owned three Renault R4s when I was in my Twenties, the most reliable cars I ever had, maybe apart from the twenty year oldToyota Corona I have today, A great reliable car.
  • Like 1

Some people are lemmings and some people are bitterly prejudiced for one reason or another. Being here in Thailand for many years, I have come to the conclusion that you should buy whatever brand you like the best. I haven't seen any BAD vehicles here. What vehicle is considered the best depends on who you talk to and whatever they drive. I now have a NIssan pickup and a Ford car. Both have been trouble free.

ADDED - Maybe I should add that I take care of my vehicles The Nissan has always been serviced by Nissan and the Ford always serviced by Ford. You take good care of your vehicle and it will take care of you.

Edited by Gary A
  • Like 2

Some people are lemmings and some people are bitterly prejudiced for one reason or another. Being here in Thailand for many years, I have come to the conclusion that you should buy whatever brand you like the best. I haven't seen any BAD vehicles here. What vehicle is considered the best depends on who you talk to and whatever they drive. I now have a NIssan pickup and a Ford car. Both have been trouble free.

ADDED - Maybe I should add that I take care of my vehicles The Nissan has always been serviced by Nissan and the Ford always serviced by Ford. You take good care of your vehicle and it will take care of you.

Hmmmm, l understand your point but there are many factors and decisions to make when buying a ride. If your a rich guy that changes his ride at will, then buy anything.

If you want a work horse to last many years cos of your budget then homework has to be done to try and come to a conclusion. Thats where forums are helpful to a point. I say to a point cos some folk will not own up to spending their cash on a wrong decision on a forum and perhaps tell porkies.

If l had the cash l would like a Merc, BUT, not in the N.E. where l am for sure. sad.png ....smile.png

• Like 1

I would say that Toyota/Lexus builds the best car these days. Audi or Porsche does, too. Chevrolet seems to be improving their build quality every year now... Nissan, as well.

You forgot about Ford which has been tops in quality for many years now and was the only American manufacturer to weather the recent storm not only without the need for Government intervention but was also actually profitable in the process.. A significant number of their sales were overseas as well.

BTW is European/Australian Ford, Chevrolet/Holden, Opel, Vauxhal, American VW Group considered part of the equation? How does one quantify the OP when there is virtually no such thing anymore as a single country of manufacture or design on ANY vehicles produced.. The Op's question has to be related to models only in that case and then one needs to classify the models to get any qualified answer.. All else is pure conjecture and speculation..

I would say that Toyota/Lexus builds the best car these days. Audi or Porsche does, too. Chevrolet seems to be improving their build quality every year now... Nissan, as well.

You forgot about Ford which has been tops in quality for many years now and was the only American manufacturer to weather the recent storm not only without the need for Government intervention but was also actually profitable in the process.. A significant number of their sales were overseas as well.

BTW is European/Australian Ford, Chevrolet/Holden, Opel, Vauxhal, American VW Group considered part of the equation? How does one quantify the OP when there is virtually no such thing anymore as a single country of manufacture or design on ANY vehicles produced.. The Op's question has to be related to models only in that case and then one needs to classify the models to get any qualified answer.. All else is pure conjecture and speculation..

Ford and GM are American - it doesn't matter where they're made, or whether they're wearing a Holden badge and being puffed up as being the pride of some antipodean country ;)

Likewise, Honda and Toyota are Japanese makes, even if they're made in the USA, Mexico or Thailand :)

• Like 1

Ford and GM are American - it doesn't matter where they're made, or whether they're wearing a Holden badge and being puffed up as being the pride of some antipodean country wink.png

Likewise, Honda and Toyota are Japanese makes, even if they're made in the USA, Mexico or Thailand smile.png

So basically you're reinforcing my point, they are American in spite of production location buuut the English and the Aussies always like to claim their only American because the companies were bought by American companies or in the case of Ford the company couldn't exist without their oh so important input..

Anyway you just reinforced my point which is it's not possible to separate them so an American car produced in Europe can be and often is still European designed not only with European input in some cases, but also assembly for the market so it's impossible to distinguish from European cars and any other cars these days, it's all a mix.. But American cars sales world wide have demonstrated the strength of the product as until recently we led the world and are climbing to the top once again.. Everything else is just conjecture and speculation.. That is unless you think those mindless Euro's and Aussies don't know any better and are just lemmings blindly following an ad pitch?

Ford and GM are American - it doesn't matter where they're made, or whether they're wearing a Holden badge and being puffed up as being the pride of some antipodean country wink.png

Likewise, Honda and Toyota are Japanese makes, even if they're made in the USA, Mexico or Thailand smile.png

So basically you're reinforcing my point, they are American in spite of production location buuut the English and the Aussies always like to claim their only American because the companies were bought by American companies or in the case of Ford the company couldn't exist without their oh so important input..

Anyway you just reinforced my point which is it's not possible to separate them so an American car produced in Europe can be and often is still European designed not only with European input in some cases, but also assembly for the market so it's impossible to distinguish from European cars and any other cars these days, it's all a mix.. But American cars sales world wide have demonstrated the strength of the product as until recently we led the world and are climbing to the top once again.. Everything else is just conjecture and speculation.. That is unless you think those mindless Euro's and Aussies don't know any better and are just lemmings blindly following an ad pitch?

The point I was making was simply about where the profits ultimately end up, and therefore who steers the ship and pulls the purse strings.

Ford have long been the top seller in the UK (Focus), and have enjoyed decent success across Europe with the Fiesta, and GM have long been players in Europe with their Vauxhall and Opel brands..

The only big recent'ish changes in Europe when it comes to the American makes are that GM killed off their Saab brand, established the Chevrolet brand as their new entry-level marque, and are trying to re-invent Opel as a more upmarket marque (this will take some time though).

Oh, and that Ford really are making some nice cars now :)

You are right in essence, but I find it hard not to distinguish between a car maker and it's country of origin if the cars are completely different. Whilst I would say Ford is an American company, a few years ago the model ranges in Europe compared to the States was so different they were almost like two different companies. Mind you I am going back a few years, when in the States they all seemed to have big cars and big engines.

What nationality do you give a car maker? The original owner or the current owner? Is Lamborghini Italian or German? RR British or German, same for Mini. Skoda Czech or German. Bloody hell, the Germans are buying everything!

i'll not deny your finger is somewhere you could detect a pulse.