Poorly Skilled Drivers And The Law: Thailand

webfact

many people don't know traffic rules. corruption is the major cause. issuing driving license is too easy.

Driving skills in the UK were promoted through constant airing of short advertisements on road safety and courtesy. This was then followed by the production of the Highway Code, which all drivers had to study before going forward for their driving test. A basic awareness of right and wrong, what all the signs refer to, and the penalties for ignoring them, makes all the difference!

When I first came to Thailand to work on a traffic survey and recommendations I asked the drivers in the office for a copy of the local Highway Code. After explaining what it was they assured me it did not exist. I did find one after a few months, too late.

The UK accident rate is as low as ever since records began. This takes a long time and persistent action on all items mentioned above. It proves that accidents are not a necessary part of life on the public highway.

• Like 1

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a crock.

the point is Thailand is remiss in ensuring that people are properly trained and licensed to drive.

the onus is not on car manufacturers, its on government and police.

However, it is in the car manufacturers own interest to have more drivers on the road...and more crashes...both increase their sales. Whether true or not, it is still the responsibility of every country to set driving and safety standards and not blame the deplorable safety situations on the car manufacturers.
  • Like 1

zakk9 correct and one of the reasons why they are unknown is because there is no formal structure. Also, in rural areas hospitals don't take the details of those injured. Another reason is the UN/WHO determine a RTA to be any death resulting in a motor vehicle within 30 days of the incident occurring, Thailand doesn't accept this so is non-compliant!

What a load of drivel, almost going into blame other mode as usual. If they had a proper driving test, and enforced traffic laws properly , I.e. a points system etc then things would certainly improve, proper policing of traffic violations, as opposed to it being a suppplimentry income etc, etc

Hard to blame it on anything other than driver education or lack thereof. Police what traffic laws there are and get rid of the corrupt people who sell licenses and get payoffs for allowing people to break traffic laws. That's a start - making the car easier to drive - well okay - no real issue with that, these people need all the help they can get.

• Like 1

many people don't know traffic rules. corruption is the major cause. issuing driving license is too easy.

Driving skills in the UK were promoted through constant airing of short advertisements on road safety and courtesy. This was then followed by the production of the Highway Code, which all drivers had to study before going forward for their driving test. A basic awareness of right and wrong, what all the signs refer to, and the penalties for ignoring them, makes all the difference!

When I first came to Thailand to work on a traffic survey and recommendations I asked the drivers in the office for a copy of the local Highway Code. After explaining what it was they assured me it did not exist. I did find one after a few months, too late.

The UK accident rate is as low as ever since records began. This takes a long time and persistent action on all items mentioned above. It proves that accidents are not a necessary part of life on the public highway.

i had a test in SA,Adelaide. you can't miss any of the questions. not sure how many questions were. if you do miss one, you will fail. but the test fee is paid only once. you can make it many times to be sure you understand all of 'em. inside the test, there are simulated cases like you similar to when you are actually on the road. Plus, a practical driving test should be carried on after that. L,P,F. isn't that a better system? still there are many crazy Aussies driving carelessly. i guess it's everywhere though.

• Like 1

Normally, I would pass this off as junk journalism - but this one has really got my back up. I suggest we make a collective letter to the editor, to highlight the sheer ridiculousness of this piece

Don't you forget a couple of obvious facts here?

1. The author of the article is a well known and respected Thai "authority".

2. We are mostly foreigners who don't understand Thai culture. In other words: We know noooothing.

In case you are in doubt about our position in Thailand, here's an instructive video to simplify the learning process:

• Like 1

Normally, I would pass this off as junk journalism - but this one has really got my back up. I suggest we make a collective letter to the editor, to highlight the sheer ridiculousness of this piece

Don't you forget a couple of obvious facts here?

1. The author of the article is a well known and respected Thai "authority".

2. We are mostly foreigners who don't understand Thai culture. In other words: We know noooothing.

In case you are in doubt about our position in Thailand, here's an instructive video to simplify the learning process:

This is even more poignant, to me, as I work in hotels!

• Like 1

So the problem of poorly skilled drivers on the road today seems inevitable, and this happens in every part of the world, especially in countries with poor law enforcement and a high growth rate of automobiles.

The important thing is that when manufacturers invent and provide us with various driver assistance systems, the driver must also learn to adapt so that they can fully make use of these features.

Most importantly, we must strictly follow traffic laws, while authorities need to enforce them evenly in every area. This will more or less help ease the situation we are all facing on our roads today.

Yea the guy is a total crackpot blaming manufacturers crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Biggest load of rubbish that I have read this year.. and I have read a lot of rubbish !!

Surely if the cars are fitted with all the latest safety features & aids to the driver then the number of accidents should be dropping?

Cars DO NOT cause accidents, it has been & always will be the person behind the wheel making the decisions.

Yes I agree sometimes pure accidents do happen.. but rarely!!

It doesn't matter what the drivers budget is, or even if the car is a brand new model off the showroom floor or a second hand model a few years old.

What matters most is that the driver has taken enough driving lessons with a qualified instructor, has studied & understands the highway driving code.

That they understand all the roadside signs, the road surface signs, the traffic signals etc.

Also when they have reached a suitable level of daytime driving ability they are taken out for night time instruction.

Also skills like road side parking or reversing properly.

All these skills should be attained during a properly supervised training period, then a strict test of driving skills, a written test, & a verbal test taken to ensure they have the ability to take a vehicle onto the road.

Then the person would have the ability to drive not only a shiny new car but an old banger too!!

It appears that in some regions if you can turn the key & start the car and know how to move forward then you are qualified, unfortunately these skills don't keep you alive for very long!!

T.I.T

Completely agree! A car (or even a motorbike) is a powerful machine with great destructive potential. Drivers should be required to respect this potential and to know how to control it.

I regret to say, but the OP exemplifies the pervasive and dangerous tendency of the people in this part of the world to say or do anything in order to avoid simple personal responsibility for one's actions.

Edited by fstarbkk
  • Like 1

I was issued with my first driving licence in Malta GC after driving around the perimeter of the police parade ground and the police sergeant accepting 5 shillings, the price of 6 bottles of the local wine or beer. On return to the UK I was permitted to drive for one year on my Maltese licence before having to undergo the UK driving test. Friends were surprised when I enrolled with BSM. "But you can drive already, why shell out?" they said. I pointed out that being able to transport myself from A to B was one thing, passing the UK driving test something completely different.

I should like to take this opportunity to air one of my pet peeves about driving standards in Thailand and that is the practice of using the footbrake when stationary at traffic signals or halted in a jam. My american friends are non plussed that when I bring the truck to a halt for any reason, I put the vehicle in neutral gear and firmly apply the handbrake. That is what the bloody thing is for! My American friends call the handbrake the emergency brake and my thoughts are if you are going to rely on that in an 'Oh my Christ' situation then you need to consult a proctologist with a view to undergoing a brain transplant. A more accurate description should be parking brake. If you are hit up the rear end the first thing that is going to happen is that your foot will be knocked off the brake pedal and you are going to collect the vehicle in front or crossing pedestrians. Further a face full of glaring stop lights interfere with ones night vision for a while. It is only my Americans friends who have remarked on this routine practice of mine so I assume that that is the American way and this was been copied by Thai drivers, if not then please understand that I am at fault for making such an incorrect assumption.

In the UK you used to be able to purchase signs to be affixed to the rear of your vehicle. The one on the off side reminded following drivers that that was the 'passing side', the one on the near side said 'suicide'. The use of humour can be an effective teaching practice as anybody who has watched the training films made by John Cleese will know. I wish that the Thai authorities would take that message onboard and make watching lighthearted and amusing films but with a serious message part of the test procedure. When it is realised that making mistakes make you look stupid and the consequence is loss of face, maybe some will take note.

Edited by Bagwan

If you want a measurement of how little Thailand understands road safety then we witness an editor of a national newspaper who sees fit to authorise a car enthusiast with no qualifications or background in road safety to publish what is a meaningless article, no more than a blog!

Many good comments on here, predictably by farangs! Another thing the editor should consider when publishing articles is that there are many farangs in Thailand that are not just retired workers, some are experts within various professions!

This article has not had the desired effect. I has not informed or educated. It has not made a constructive contribution to road safety! Anyone can state the driving is bad, we know that but how many Thais will read the article and more importantly the posts on here? None because they don't believe they have a problem!

• Like 2

When I first came to Patong, with my legal driving license car & bike, I was bullish about the future and was in no mind to buy a car. After 2/3 months, a car was ordered & one with great brakes & safety. After spending some time reading the latest motoring trends, gadgets & gizmos, I was astonished to see something called a dashcam. This, I felt, was nothing more than a toy for the juvenile masses or for those with a narcissistic personality - after 1 month driving, that has also been ordered! For the sheer <deleted> lunacy I see almost every day.

Eezergood- I already have one with my garmin and it is essential not just for recording the idiots but in the event of an accident - evidence!

This has been abundantly clear to me, hopefully I will never need it, but the stats are against me! Once we recieve it, I will post some vids - Particularly the drive to BAng Tao from PAtong! these people are beyond crazy

• Like 1

'For example 30-40 years ago, many drivers would find it very difficult to stop and start the vehicle on an incline such as a steep bridge. That's because most vehicles in those days came with manual transmission, which required good driver skill when faced with this situation. If the clutch was released too quickly or with the wrong timing, the engine would likely stall or the vehicle would jump forward and hit the car in front, or roll back and hit the car behind.'

In many countries around the world, one would not be able to obtain a driving licence if not capable of pulling off such a basic maneuver correctly.

Edited by Morakot

Never before have so many words been written about nothing!!!!

This story just wasted 5 minutes of my life - using the toilet would have been far more worthy than reading this drivel - with 3 minutes left over to find something useful to do!!!!

This article is a bunch of pious crap that irresponsibly defends idiotic behavior and shrugs it off on intelligent people who design technology for people who not only have a brain, but also the ability to use it at a level higher than that of a juvenile.

"We're Thais. We are as smart as the rest of the world, and even better. We just need someone besides any Thai person to be smarter than us and develop so many stupid-proof devices that our uneducated children and fellow Thai adults can jump into any vehicle and it will drive itself."

The guy in the photo looks like Efrem Zimbalist, Jr in a fatherly sort of way.

• Like 1

Not only do Thai drivers not know the rules of the road, many of them aren't aware that there are rules. The Blether is absolutely correct about the lack of enforcement, there are enough police to do much more than they are. There also seems to be a class issue, if I drive a new Benz and you are driving a fifteen year old Ford, you should get out of my way attitude.

If you're driving A Benz or a Beamer or even Accord or Fortuner etc and a guy in an old banger rams into you or cuts across your path you'll be expected to pay his damage and injury bills because you can afford it. If you're Thai and connected then this may not apply but for the farang it is your fault and you will be expected to pay for the poor Thai driver's damages anyway. This TOTALLY sucks and needs to be corrected but for the time being and forseeable furture (like forever) that's just the way it is!