Poorly Skilled Drivers And The Law: Thailand

webfact

AUTO TALK

Poorly skilled drivers and the law

Pattanadesh Asasappakij

big.jpeg

Apart from the regular launching of new models, the big news concerning automobiles in Thailand is the fatal road accidents.

BANGKOK: -- While some accidents lead to many deaths, other accidents may have just one casualty, but even the name of the driver involved can make headlines.

There have been two cases that recently became big news. The first one involved a 16-year-old female driver that crashed her car with a van on the tollway, resulting in the deaths of 9 people. Society has been blaming the girl to a point that people are not willing to listen to any reason, even though the court of law has already come out with a verdict.

The second incident, which just took place, also drew much criticism for many reasons. The first is that the car that hit and killed a policeman on a motorcycle was an expensive Ferrari sports car, so this was enough for society to point fingers at the rich driver. Second, was the fact that the motorcycle rider was a low-ranked police officer, and third was that the Ferrari driver is the son of a famous business magnate, thus news like this would surely sell. Fourth, the driver fled the scene, and another person initially came out to take the blame instead. All these reasons are great ingredients for a big story.

After each big accident, I am always interviewed by various media for comments, whether in terms of analysing the incident as well as finding preventive measures. These two accidents are no exception.

But what I want to say today might not be about who is right or wrong, but concerns a question raised by a newspaper. It asked "why do fewer and fewer people know traffic rules and drive with extremely bad manners than in the past?"

I answered that what has happened is the lower quality of driving that happens not just in Thailand. The reason for people these days driving without much care is the increasing number of automobiles being produced around the world. As more cars are made, it is normal for manufacturers to stimulate more people to purchase them, otherwise they will surely suffer an oversupply. So manufacturers must do everything to sell the vehicles, which mean that they are unable to choose in selling the cars to people who have good driving skills.

Auto-makers know full well that they must sell vehicles to inexperienced and less capable people. And you can see that today there is a much larger number of driver assistance systems being fitted to automobiles, so that it is easier for inexperienced drivers to drive a vehicle. These features are offered along with the words "innovative new technology", and it also makes the automobiles more expensive as manufacturers have a reason to mark up the price of the vehicle.

For example 30-40 years ago, many drivers would find it very difficult to stop and start the vehicle on an incline such as a steep bridge. That's because most vehicles in those days came with manual transmission, which required good driver skill when faced with this situation. If the clutch was released too quickly or with the wrong timing, the engine would likely stall or the vehicle would jump forward and hit the car in front, or roll back and hit the car behind. Engaging the clutch to keep the vehicle stationary on the incline would also lead to clutch damage.

Well, today the "Hill Start Assist" function gets rid of this problem as the wheels are locked when the vehicle stops on an incline, and the wheels are released only when the accelerator pedal is pushed once again.

When going downhill, there is also the "Hill Descent Control" function that automatically maintains a stable speed (7-10km/h). In fact, there is a large number of driver assistance systems being put into the brakes, such as ABS (Anti-lock Brake System), EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) and BA (Brake Assist)

There are even automatic inspection systems that tell you when the tyre pressure is too low or when it is time to change the timing belt. There are also warning systems for the seatbelts, doors not closed properly, etc.

Manufacturers say these systems are fitted into modern cars to make life easier for car users. But in reality, manufacturers fear that if users were to carry out their own inspection, they could forget and this could lead to damages or accidents that tarnish the reputation of the brand itself.

So the problem of poorly skilled drivers on the road today seems inevitable, and this happens in every part of the world, especially in countries with poor law enforcement and a high growth rate of automobiles. Anyone who has driven in China would find that this is one of the countries where road traffic is heavy and rather confusing. Thailand also ranks high here, especially during rush hour in Bangkok or during long holidays.

The important thing is that when manufacturers invent and provide us with various driver assistance systems, the driver must also learn to adapt so that they can fully make use of these features.

Most importantly, we must strictly follow traffic laws, while authorities need to enforce them evenly in every area. This will more or less help ease the situation we are all facing on our roads today.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-14

• Like 2

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also add a relevant point about car manufacturers. The adverts on Thai TV would be banned in UK/EU as they show speeding and aggressive driving also in one ad, very poor and unsafe driving!

If standards were higher cars wouldn't sell and that has been proven in the USA when Ralph Nader took on the motor manufacturers; money is all that matters!

• Like 2

I would question the 'benefit' of automation devices on cars.

Driving, as opposed to sitting behind the wheel with your foot on the 'stop/go' pedals, is more than being able to make the vehicle go.

When a neighbor visits, I have to reverse the truck out of the road for her!

My wife terrifies me when she drives. Even when she isn't 'sight-seeing' as we drive along, I barely get the impression she knows what car is in front, let alone what's happening in the general traffic around us.

IMO, driving involves anticipation. Having gadgets adds to the problem. Driving shouldn't encourage drivers to think less.

As has been stated, law enforcement, or rather the lack of it, is a major part of the problem. Is a red light 'stop'?

Most motorbikes I come across, ride defensively - mind you there are plenty of kamikaze exceptions.

My attitude has been - indicate early, they might not like what you're doing but at least they know what you're going to do.

• Like 1

In reply to the above post is that if someone is "indicating" then absolutely DO NOT on any circumstances believe them.

It's probably still in this position from the day before!!

My observations trained me from a very early stage the best policy is to look, look & look again then look again before moving.. I'm still alive.

The above post #12 by NangrongJ you are 100% correct.. good luck to your wife.. she'll need it, although you have obviously taught her well you can't account for the other road users!!

• Like 1

Driving isn't about the physical aspect of handling a car, that's the easy part; driving is about hazard perception, interpreting risk and making decisions based upon that! I know from watching drivers here that there is a pattern of emerging from junctions without effective observation, they just go! This is partly down to a lack of control ( as stated) but most importantly, a lack of constructive training! Far too often driver will change lanes, turn or just go without checking mirrors!

Driver training has never and will never, on its own, cure road safety. The 'formula' for successful road safety is a combination of the 3 'E's; Education, Engineering and Enforcement. All three are weak if not non-existent in Thailand. This is one of the reasons why Thailand is not listed in the world road safety statistics as it's non-compliant! Although Cambodia is listed and has made great strides!

• Like 1

Fareast guy - you are correct. I've trained her well but it's the other drivers! Yesterday we were waiting to turn right into a minor road, as she was about to go the car behind overtook us and cut the corner fully - all this in the view of a policeman who was guiding traffic (school time)! The bad driver behind will do it again as he seen nothing wrong with it because the police let it go!

• Like 1

In reply to the above post is that if someone is "indicating" then absolutely DO NOT on any circumstances believe them.

It's probably still in this position from the day before!!

My observations trained me from a very early stage the best policy is to look, look & look again then look again before moving.. I'm still alive.

The above post #12 by NangrongJ you are 100% correct.. good luck to your wife.. she'll need it, although you have obviously taught her well you can't account for the other road users!!

Sorry - I neglected to say that I spend all my time with eyes in front in mirrors, glancing over my shoulder. Never have too many eyes! Perhaps we need to redesign humans!

I fell foul of the 'assumption' trap when I made my post

Thanks for pointing it out

As one who has been actively involved in road safety for over 23 years and has experience of 38 countries I can tell you it is easy to point the finger at the driver. However, someone trained that driver and even more relevant, someone tested that driver and deemed the driver to be safe and competent!

Lets put aside the usual corruption chat for a moment. It is far to easy to become a driving instructor and even easier to remain one. There are no standards bodies to monitor the quality or effectiveness of training. The testing, like nay exam, should be subjective based upon a syllabus. There is no syllabus and the testing is objective (I'm a uk advanced examiner & accident investigator).

I'm presently teaching my wife to drive and some neighbours are asking why it's taking so long, well it's about safety and standards and she now knows the difference! However, she will be tested by a clueless clown even though her standard and knowledge of driving is far superior to them!

Driving instructor blink.png ? In Thailand cheesy.gif ? You just arrived here, right?

Here's a quote from an ex-gf, one with university exams and all:

"I'm planning on getting a drivers license. I consider learning how to drive a car also."

She told me that the license was just 500 baht, but taking lessons was much more expensive, so that had to wait.... like forever?

• Like 2

I also find it hypocritical of Thai newspapers (all of them) to comment on driving yet they don't have a road safety column or even columnist! Anyone can criticise driving as the author has done but he doesn't provide any constructive answers! I can't play a musical instrument but I can tell you when something is out of tune! I'm not a chef or much of a cook but I can tell you if something doesn't taste right!

Thai newspapers are taking vast sums of money from motor manufacturers in advertising yet there isn't one road safety column and I've yet to come across a road safety expert in this country. I know because I've written many road safety columns in many newspapers and magazines in UK and other countries including Arabic countries but Thailand isn't interested because there's no money to be made in it!

My wife pranged into a high curb in the Driving School as she was parking after failing Test, only to be given her License because her Family are friends with the School. As about 3 or 4 people were sitting on the curb when she hit it I thank the stars that the curb was about 450mm high and the car stalled. When we went back to the West I placed her in a proper Driving School to get Driving Licence as she shouldn,t have been passed in Chiang Mai.

We're needing someone to come on here who has actually went through the Thai driving test from scratch.............not some Europeans or others that were actually correctly trained before getting their license.

My girlfriend went through the driving test and it was an absolute complete and utter joke............unless you have any idea of how little training is actually done before the test, ( none ) and how easy the test is, ( indescribable ) then you will have no idea of how fundamentally flawed the system in Thailand is.

To be honest with you it's a miracle that the road death figure is not vastly higher.

• Like 2

People are just stupid sometime, they drive drunk, drive reckless, and drive without much consideration to others. It doesn't matter about a driving test, or enforcement. I am home in New Mexico at present they have constructed a wire fence from Albuquerque to Sante Fe about 60 miles to keep the drunk drivers from crossing the medium and killing others. There are only so many cops out ther to enforce the laws and keep idiots off the road. What is the solution maybe more drivers education in school, more cops, better drivers test. Even with these thing in place you will still have stupid people doing stupid things and a few of you posting here about the carnage