Poorly Skilled Drivers And The Law: Thailand

webfact

What a load of bull.

The problem is a total disregard of traffic laws, both by drivers and law enforcement.

Garbage......the laws aren't taught in the first place.....have you seen what's involved in the Thai driving test? It's a joke.

I have spoken with countless people stating they failed the driving test so they paid under the table to pass.

Wealthy, connected people can just have the driving permit without visiting the transport department.

• Like 1

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realized there really is little hope for this country when the pickup in front swerved into a motorcycle with the rider going under the rear wheel. The pickup sped off

An everyday occurrence, save the fact the pickup was an official police vehicle.

• Like 1

Ok Nisa people who hold a license that is not in English or Thai, or countries without a treaty with Thailand.

Yes these can be translated in their home countries and I don't know the countries which dont have a treaty. I don't use google to answer questions on a forum unlike some.

What you said is wrong.

Thats all I will say on the matter as this thread has been done to death.

Edited by Scully

Ok Nisa people who hold a license that is not in English or Thai, or countries without a treaty with Thailand.

Yes these can be translated in their home countries and I don't know the countries which dont have a treaty. I don't use google to answer questions on a forum unlike some.

What you said is wrong.

Although you are against looking up or verifying your facts before telling others they are wrong, you really should do some research on the subject, you clearly don't know much about, if you want to debate or advice people.

If the applicants have a valid foreign licence then they are exempt from the written and driving tests. They simply need to bring with them the valid license along with a with a Thai or English translation certified by the embassy or an international driving licence. Are these all the requirements, of course not as you need the proper visa and medical certificate to name a few things but if you can't tell people what country license Thailand wouldn't honor in the above cases then your comments are worthless. I am all for clarifying this up if you have something valid to add but simply stating things along with you aren't into verifying facts makes your comments have little credibility or usefulness.

Edited by Nisa

Poorly skilled drivers and the law

Road safety enforcement in Thailand is poor going on diabolical at times, and there's no reason for it except a lack of education. There are plenty police check points, and plenty opportunities to intervene in obviously stupid driving practises such as overloading, having people unrestrained in the back of pick ups, as well as checking vehicle safety.

I've seen the police apply themselves to this before, and it makes a difference. I've seen them setting up road blocks all over Chiang Mai in pursuit of drink drivers and sending a message out that isn't acceptable.........however!!!

It all starts with the licensing and testing, which from what I can see is a joke. They are going to have to dramatically improve the testing before the issuance of licenses before they will see any real long term difference. I've seen too many people splattered, literally splattered across the road already in Thailand.

They need to get the foundation right, and work on constant education and road safety campaigns.

ps before the usual suspects come out with the " Thailand is not a nanny state " crap.........stand back and watch children being shovelled off the road and tell me if you think that type of freedom is worth it? We all have the right to life, and not to expect to be slaughtered by some drunken lunatic driver.

None of this relates to 'poor driving'; mostly related to the high rate of injury and death when poor driving results in accidents.

And checkpoints do nothing for poor driving - incorrect lane changes, overtaking in no-passing zones, speeding, etc. For this - for Thailand to actually enforce regulations that are displays of poor driving - they need the budget for more police in vehicles on the roads, and gas money. That's what the western world does to enforce good driving. (or in the case of Europe - cameras everywhere, tickets arriving via the post). Thailand can't afford this type of policing.

Something else lacking in Thailand, heavy fines and suspension of licenses for excessive 'points' on ones driving record, and/or cancellation of one's insurance as a consequence of poor driving record.

Routine law enforcement would be a gold mine.

I don't know why it isn't being done.

Agree 100%. I'm surprised at all the talk about training and testing.

I recall 40 years ago when I finished an extensive driver's Ed, passed the test and was licensed to drive. I was a menace in spite of great training and a rigorous (I thought) test.

The only thing that changed my status from a menace was practice, experience and the consequences of breaking the traffic laws.

The joke was that you could always count on a traffic cop to be looking any time you made a mistake. Fortunately, I got a lot of practice under their watchful eyes, otherwise I could have easily "practiced" all the bad behaviors that have been discussed on this and zillions of other threads. I'd have gotten real good at all of them.

Instead, I practiced driving so I wouldn't get a ticket, which not so coincidentally was practice in how to not have an accident.

The only thing that changes human behavior is the consequences of not changing. In traffic, that means either carnage on the streets or enforcement and penalties. I'd rather they went with the enforcement and penalties, but what do I know?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Poorly skilled drivers and the law

Road safety enforcement in Thailand is poor going on diabolical at times, and there's no reason for it except a lack of education. There are plenty police check points, and plenty opportunities to intervene in obviously stupid driving practises such as overloading, having people unrestrained in the back of pick ups, as well as checking vehicle safety.

I've seen the police apply themselves to this before, and it makes a difference. I've seen them setting up road blocks all over Chiang Mai in pursuit of drink drivers and sending a message out that isn't acceptable.........however!!!

It all starts with the licensing and testing, which from what I can see is a joke. They are going to have to dramatically improve the testing before the issuance of licenses before they will see any real long term difference. I've seen too many people splattered, literally splattered across the road already in Thailand.

They need to get the foundation right, and work on constant education and road safety campaigns.

ps before the usual suspects come out with the " Thailand is not a nanny state " crap.........stand back and watch children being shovelled off the road and tell me if you think that type of freedom is worth it? We all have the right to life, and not to expect to be slaughtered by some drunken lunatic driver.

I'm with you on this Blether. Just one other comment though. Since I've been in Thailand, I've only seen one policeman checking speeds with a radar gun, and that happened to be on Highway 11 between Lampang and Lamphun. Cops seem to have a single mode of operation: set up road blocks. I have never seen a cop in a police cruiser checking traffic while on the roll, and I've never seen one instance of a Thai driver being pulled over by a uniformed police officer in a police cruiser.

If Thailand ever stopped to consider the revenue they could generate by pulling over vehicles that blatantly break the law, maybe they would start putting patrolmen in cars and start pulling drivers over and issuing tickets for stupidity like: driving down the center line, failing to stop at stop signs, failure to yield the right of way, excessive speeding, reckless driving, obvious drunk driving, passing on blind corners, road rage incidents, etc, etc. To be honest, I can pull out on the road and within 30 second or less, spot a violation that would get you ticketed in a Western country. If they put police cruisers on the road, and start pulling people over and issuing tickets with substantial fines, word would eventual get out and the potential of getting pulled over and ticketed (or tossed in jail) might become a deterrent -- just as it is in Western countries. In the US, when a cop car comes up from behind me with lights flashing and sirens blaring, I get an instantaneous adrenaline rush, heart rate goes up, and all your senses switch on regardless of whether to cop is pulling you over or someone else (phew!!!), you slow down and pull over to the side of the road. Here in Thailand, if a cop pulls up with lights flashing and sirens blaring, I ignore it like everyone else on the road. If Thailand can get that type of Pavlovian conditioning going on with their cops and the driving public, maybe (big maybe), Thai driving habits would change. But I'm not holding my breath on this. rolleyes.gif

The only reason I can think of as to why this doesn't happen is because the rich Amart would become prime targets. Rich folk in fast cars who believe they are privileged and above the law. I mean, what fun is it to have a Beamer if you can't run it at 180 kpm and weave in an out of slower traffic. Yeah, getting pulled over wouldn't be popular with the Amart and HiSo crowd -- so it probably won't happen. It's much easier to shake down motorcycle riders for 400 baht a pop for not wearing a helmet.

Edited by connda

What you said is wrong.

Although you are against looking up or verifying your facts before telling others they are wrong, you really should do some research on the subject, you clearly don't know much about, if you want to debate or advice people.

If the applicants have a valid foreign licence then they are exempt from the written and driving tests. They simply need to bring with them the valid license along with a with a Thai or English translation certified by the embassy or an international driving licence. Are these all the requirements, of course not as you need the proper visa and medical certificate to name a few things but if you can't tell people what country license Thailand wouldn't honor in the above cases then your comments are worthless. I am all for clarifying this up if you have something valid to add but simply stating things along with you aren't into verifying facts makes your comments have little credibility or usefulness.

Think of the topic-relating to poorly skilled Thai drivers and the law.

No google etc required, read and give reasons. Getting upset with foreigners requirements, and arguing about that ?? whats the point. TIT relate to them and their laws(that are rarely used) why get sidetract. Subject here is driving ability(limited) and the laws that are not usually applied.

Example the highway 2 from Udon to Korat, disgusting, left hand lane in dangerous condition, wide cracks and deap holes for300 kilometers, this does not help drivers with limited skills. The whole Testing of drivers and highways condition should be a priority of this government.

• Like 1

We can all give anecdotal evidence but lets get one thing straight here. Those of us from Europe are used to a very high standard of driving. The problem is the Thai Police can only charge iof an offence has been committed; that is breaking the law. Given that the testing is subjective, there is no law against bad driving and it's open to far too much interpretation- there are no standards bodies in Thailand.

We will continue to be frustrated at the needless waste of life, sadly, every day at least 50 are killed and injured and all indications are it's not going to improve.

Just be careful out there and when you drive, set an example to others. It's better to be late than DEAD on time!

• Like 1

they need the budget for more police in vehicles on the roads, and gas money. That's what the western world does to enforce good driving. (or in the case of Europe - cameras everywhere, tickets arriving via the post). Thailand can't afford this type of policing.

Thailand has one of the largest police forces per capita in the World.

Edited by FarangTalk

We can all give anecdotal evidence but lets get one thing straight here. Those of us from Europe are used to a very high standard of driving. The problem is the Thai Police can only charge iof an offence has been committed; that is breaking the law. Given that the testing is subjective, there is no law against bad driving and it's open to far too much interpretation- there are no standards bodies in Thailand.

We will continue to be frustrated at the needless waste of life, sadly, every day at least 50 are killed and injured and all indications are it's not going to improve.

Just be careful out there and when you drive, set an example to others. It's better to be late than DEAD on time!

Lets not be so pessimistic. The number of drivers and cars has gone up dramatically over the years as the number of road deaths has gone down. Thailand is a country that jumped very quickly to becoming an automotive society but even other countries that gradually went this way had there problems (and continue to) with road fatalities and injuries but it is not a situation that can change overnight, it is a gradual process. But fear not, it won't be all that long until enforcement, fines and so on will be similar to that in the west.

Edited by Nisa

Lets not be so pessimistic. The number of drivers and cars has gone up dramatically over the years as the number of road deaths has gone down. Thailand is a country that jumped very quickly to becoming an automotive society but even other countries that gradually went this way had there problems (and continue to) with road fatalities and injuries but it is not a situation that can change overnight, it is a gradual process. But fear not, it won't be all that long until enforcement, fines and so on will be similar to that in the west.

Nisa it would be nice to think that it won't be long until enforcement will be similar to the west.

UNTIL the police send fines collected to BKK, and start protecting the population-rather than having money on the brain-little will change' force under age drivers off the road, teach road sense at schools, have non corrupt driving tests, L plates for 1 year.

All these fines collected would be used to help highway improvements and more. More vehicles now-yes BUT policing attitudes have NEVER changed. So until there is a u-turn I'm sorry but being realistic ---little change. this is not an attack on Thailand and it's people it is actually an honest view. Your figures I will not comment on--only Where is the GRADUAL change coming from ???? I would like to look on the bright side---BUT

• Like 1

Routine law enforcement would be a gold mine.

I don't know why it isn't being done.

Another accident, motor cyclist killed supposedly going the wrong way on a dual carriage way, the thing is if he was was not there are plenty of other drivers that do drive the wrong way down a dual carriage way.

I am sure every one of us could travel just a mile down a busy road and spot many drivers committing a multitude of road traffic offenses, give the police handy cams and police cars fitted with surveillance cameras, film drivers committing offenses, no crash helmet, no seat belt, driving the wrong way, driving in the wrong lane, too many passengers, parking where not allowed, the list could go on for pages.

But if the police have video or pictures then they can not be disputed, if someone thinks they know better than the law then let em have their day in court and give them a fine 3 times that of the fixed ticket.

The biggest problem with Thai driving standards is the nut behind the steering wheel.

As another post pointed out, there is almost nothing to be optimistic about.

Interestingly, the video I was made to watch on renewal of my five year driving licence at the Land Transport Office in Bangkok a few days ago showed road death tolls increasing year on year.

• Like 1

Interestingly, the video I was made to watch on renewal of my five year driving licence at the Land Transport Office in Bangkok a few days ago showed road death tolls increasing year on year.

of course but Nisa is blind to any faults Thailand may have - it's perfect here of course!

• Like 1

Maybe just another example of you not understanding Thais and Thailand and/or you admitted need to see things negatively. There is no arguing against (reasonably) the fact road deaths continue to trend down in Thailand. In fact, looking back from 2010 the number of deaths has gone down 11 of 13 years. You can view this as negatively as you want but it is fact..

Keep in mind too that Thailand has more motorbikes on the road than cars and the death count also reflects this with most deaths coming from bike accidents.

Nisa it would be nice to think that it won't be long until enforcement will be similar to the west.

UNTIL the police send fines collected to BKK, and start protecting the population-rather than having money on the brain-little will change' force under age drivers off the road, teach road sense at schools, have non corrupt driving tests, L plates for 1 year.

All these fines collected would be used to help highway improvements and more. More vehicles now-yes BUT policing attitudes have NEVER changed. So until there is a u-turn I'm sorry but being realistic ---little change. this is not an attack on Thailand and it's people it is actually an honest view. Your figures I will not comment on--only Where is the GRADUAL change coming from ???? I would like to look on the bright side---BUT

While you think it may be nice, others move and live here because they like the freedom and taking responsibility for your own life and not relying on government interference.

There is one law that is above all other laws, no matter the country and that's the laws of physics. I don't seek government 'interference' but I do expect compliance.

Road safety has got worse in Thailand and that's a conservative estimate as Thailand is non-compliant with WHO/UN and will not (and cannot) provide statistics. The WHO/UN directive states that anyone who dies within 30 days of a RTA is listed as a RTA death. Thailand does not agree with that so the official figures of 1,200 deaths per month could be at least 3 times that and the injuries at least 5 times.

Many of these deaths and injuries are avoidable but when I see vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road, driving with no lights in the dark and young kids on motorbikes in full view of the police then something is wrong.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the amount of accidents is about to rise very quickly with all of these tax discounted new cars on the road. Just watch the next time you are out and about, blank plated or red plated small cars are an absolute menace at the moment.

Although we have a standing joke in the car that whenever we see someone driving completely aimlessly, completely lost, going from the outside lane to the inside because they missed the junction, reversing up 3 lane highways, 95% chance they are from Maha Sarakham or Roi et. I am not sure if these have the worst drivers in Thailand, but steer well clear. biggrin.png

While you think it may be nice, others move and live here because they like the freedom and taking responsibility for your own life and not relying on government interference.

So your responsibility for the lives of others is immaterial then.

• Like 1

Better still, let everyone build their own individual roads. dam_n government's messing around and building PUBLIC highways. Ordinarily, access to public roads come with some safety training involved, but I suppose, a free for all is the way forward.

Edited by Thai at Heart

There is one law that is above all other laws, no matter the country and that's the laws of physics. I don't seek government 'interference' but I do expect compliance.

Road safety has got worse in Thailand and that's a conservative estimate as Thailand is non-compliant with WHO/UN and will not (and cannot) provide statistics. The WHO/UN directive states that anyone who dies within 30 days of a RTA is listed as a RTA death. Thailand does not agree with that so the official figures of 1,200 deaths per month could be at least 3 times that and the injuries at least 5 times.

Many of these deaths and injuries are avoidable but when I see vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road, driving with no lights in the dark and young kids on motorbikes in full view of the police then something is wrong.

Not at all a reasonable argument as who does accept Thailand road death figures, the Who confirms the death rate has been trending down over the years as well as Thailand not considering deaths within 30-days of an accident being a myth.

Just one of the many links online you can find that discredit your statements ...

This is a list of motor vehicle deaths in the Thailand by year. 64% of motor vehicles in Thailand are motorcycles such as scooters in 2006. Definitions for a fatality are deaths within 30 days. There were 212,060 km of roads in 2006, of which Highways 61,747km, Motorway 313 km, Rural Road 42,500 km. and Local road under local administration 107,500 km. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year