Best Pickup Truck To Purchase New In Thailand

Nowhereman60

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first choice is Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak, then Navara although only minor changes still looks like a truck. Mazda is same as Ranger but depends if you like the front end on it. The new Colorado is similar, you either like the front end or you dont. The Toyota is always a top seller but while nice a bit tired looking due to its success (which is not a bad thing I guess).

I forgot to mention the New Isuzu which is very very nice and would slide in right after the Ranger for me for looks.

for me

1. Ranger

2. Isuzu

3. Navara

4. Mazda

5. Chevy

6. Vigo

Like I said though you will get a big variation of opinions and sure to turn into a debate in no time - much like which is the best Pizza threads in the Western Food Forum on here :)

Lots of choices and opinions.

New Ford / Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, New Chevy

You say you plan to buy at the motor show, I assume you mean order? check out the delivery times if you are in a rush. Why wait for the motorshow?

Edited by Nowhereman60

My first choice is Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak, then Navara although only minor changes still looks like a truck. Mazda is same as Ranger but depends if you like the front end on it. The new Colorado is similar, you either like the front end or you dont. The Toyota is always a top seller but while nice a bit tired looking due to its success (which is not a bad thing I guess).

I forgot to mention the New Isuzu which is very very nice and would slide in right after the Ranger for me for looks.

for me

1. Ranger

2. Isuzu

3. Navara

4. Mazda

5. Chevy

6. Vigo

Like I said though you will get a big variation of opinions and sure to turn into a debate in no time - much like which is the best Pizza threads in the Western Food Forum on here smile.png

Why Ranger before Mazda? For the same price more extra's with Mazda, same factory, so the only explanation could be looks. And for that I would say: really personal, leave that judgement to the OP.

Navara? very bad in crash tests, very low mileage and old design.

for me

1. Ranger

2. Isuzu

3. Navara

4. Mazda

5. Chevy

6. Vigo

Like I said though you will get a big variation of opinions and sure to turn into a debate in no time - much like which is the best Pizza threads in the Western Food Forum on here smile.png

Why Ranger before Mazda? For the same price more extra's with Mazda, same factory, so the only explanation could be looks. And for that I would say: really personal, leave that judgement to the OP.

Too each their own and why I said people will have their own personal favorites. those are mine.

Not sure what you are on about the crash tests for Navara http://www.mynrma.co...-crash-test.htm

here is isuzu http://www.euroncap.com/results/isuzu/d_max/482.aspx

Edited by bkkjames

for me

1. Ranger

2. Isuzu

3. Navara

4. Mazda

5. Chevy

6. Vigo

Too each their own and why I said people will have their own personal favorites. those are mine.

Not sure what you are on about the crash tests for Navara http://www.mynrma.co...-crash-test.htm

here is isuzu http://www.euroncap..../d_max/482.aspx

There is a difference between 'best' as asked by the OP and taste.

Very nice that crash test for a model not available in Thailand. Search the forum here for Navara crashtest and you'll get a different picture for the Navara sold here.

See for example here for the Navara.

Edited by stevenl

for me

1. Ranger

2. Isuzu

3. Navara

4. Mazda

5. Chevy

6. Vigo

There is a difference between 'best' as asked by the OP and taste.

Very nice that crash test for a model not available in Thailand. Search the forum here for Navara crashtest and you'll get a different picture for the Navara sold here.

See for example herefor the Navara.

Ok Steven I will bite - please explain to me 'the best' as you see it as I am 100% sure you are more qualified and will no doubt be able to back that up.

by the way, this is the 2012 Navara http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=465 4 stars and colorado 5 stars http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=479

Edited by bkkjames

Ok Steven I will bite - please explain to me 'the best' as you see it as I am 100% sure you are more qualified and will no doubt be able to back that up.

by the way, this is the 2012 Navara http://www.ancap.com...ecord?Id=465 4 stars and colorado 5 stars http://www.ancap.com...strecord?Id=479

Yes, and unless I am mistaken that Navara is not (yet) for sale in Thailand.

IMO if you look at the best pickups without any judgement on looks, it would be:

BT50: excellent ride

Ranger: same as the BT50, but BT50 offering more extras for the same money

Colorado, all new model

D-Max: new looks, complete interior but still same engine

Vigo/Navara; old fashioned everywhere, Navara maybe more whistles and bells

If you include the resale value and/or looks to me the order would be different BTW.

BTW: nothing to do with more qualified, I just think that looks are not part of 'best', but would be part of 'preference'. I would prefer D-Max over Colorado or Ranger e.g., but still think Ranger would be the better truck of those 3.

Edit: just read your previous post, so now you're also making a difference between 'best' and 'looks'. And yes, agree with you, both are personal choices depending on what you're looking for in a car.

Edited by stevenl

by the way, this is the 2012 Navara http://www.ancap.com...ecord?Id=465 4 stars and colorado 5 stars http://www.ancap.com...strecord?Id=479

Yes, and unless I am mistaken that Navara is not (yet) for sale in Thailand.

IMO if you look at the best pickups without any judgement on looks, it would be:

BT50: excellent ride

Ranger: same as the BT50, but BT50 offering more extras for the same money

Colorado, all new model

D-Max: new looks, complete interior but still same engine

Vigo/Navara; old fashioned everywhere, Navara maybe more whistles and bells

If you include the resale value and/or looks to me the order would be different BTW.

BTW: nothing to do with more qualified, I just think that looks are not part of 'best', but would be part of 'preference'. I would prefer D-Max over Colorado or Ranger e.g., but still think Ranger would be the better truck of those 3.

Edit: just read your previous post, so now you're also making a difference between 'best' and 'looks'.

Not sure what you are on about , go to www.nissan.co.th and you will see 2012 navara for sale 4x4 with bells and whistles for 954k

In terms of best = all you say is BT50 has more bells and whistles than the Ranger and that's why it's the best?

I think the Isuzu is probably the best for various reasons mentioned in my last post but I prefer the Ranger. Mazda is same truck underneath.

So in my unqualified opinion the Isuzu is best in class here in Thailand. But please point me to the 'qualified member on here" for their input.

btw, Volvo is prob the safest car out there, doesnt mean i want one.

for me

1. Ranger

2. Isuzu

3. Navara

4. Mazda

5. Chevy

6. Vigo

The Nissan had some problems and bad press from poor Navara crash test results in Australia about 4 years ago. Presumably some changes were made to improve the results in the more recent tests.

The newer trucks are achieving 5 star crash test results now with the older models mostly at 4 stars. These results are based on Australian or European tests on models, often with slightly different equipment like side airbags etc. In addition to the crash test results, the Thai model selected needs the main safety equipment like Airbags and ABS etc. Some of the cheaper versions miss out.

Nowhereman, if you have not seen it already, there is a good summary of the current trucks pros and cons by IMHO on the Dilemma thread.

Keep in mind Toyota and Mitsubishi are supposed to have a major model change in 2014 or there abouts. Their resale (Even Toyota's) may take a dent if the new models are a big advancement.

Ford or Mazda have a big advantage with the 3.2L engine (if you can get one) but their dealers to be inconsistent. It would be wise to check on the competence of your local dealers if you decide on one of them.

I looked at them all, drove most of them, could have had any of them and selected the Isuzu.

While it might be the same old engine, they have certainly done something to it as I get 25.1% better fuel economy with the 2012 three-liter AT than I did with the 2009 three-liter AT. I keep my foot in it and the old unit got 9.4KPL and the new unit gets 11.8KPL.

Love the NAV & bluetooth.

Incidentally, when I bought the last Isuzu, I liked the Toyota a little better, but it was more money, and I love the Isuzu dealer I trade with. When I bought the new Isuzu, I liked the Ford a little better, but could only get it with the 2.2, and the local dealer is a POC so I decided on the Isuzu. Glad I did. Got exactly what I ordered and it took less than a month.

Ford and Mazda should be at the top of the list. They are nearly mechanically identical. They both have a 5-star safety rating. The ride and handling are car-like. Plenty of power. Very quite cabin(for any auto). The extra features like bluetooth, steering wheel controls, auto-wipers, usb are fantastic. Seats are snug. I believe the electrical systems between the two are slightly different.

Even though they are from the same factory, I think QC may be different as there have been some defects on the ranger posted in other forums. I saw a recent posting where one had their driveshaft plop to the ground when a bolt for the shackle that holds it in place came loose. Others have been missing parts or problems with the electrical. The Ranger wins in the exterior looks department hands down. But Ford's service and sales has to be the worst of the big manufacturers in Thailand.

Mazda's sales and service is fantastic. They promised to deliver my truck within 3 months (while Ford had no ETA for me and there are some who booked when I did and are still waiting 9-10mos later). My white plates came in within 5 weeks. Everytime I went in to the dealer, the next day I received a call asking to rate my experience. My dealer is Wearnes in BKK if you are interested. On the flipside, there have been some complaints on the transmission with a rough 2nd gear kick and batts going dead. One problem I'm experiencing is seeing a bit of rust starting to develop on some parts on the underside. I'll be speaking with the dealer this wknd on that. But all-in-all, I love driving this truck.

Before buying I really like the Isuzu on the looks and features but just felt that the build quality didn't seem as solid as the Ford/Mazdas' It's not surprising that the DMax got a 4 star rating and the ncap video doesnt look too good.

Yes, forgot Mitsubishi, would rate that below D-max, above Vigo/Navara.

@ bkkjames, why do you keep going on about being unqualified? I don't think anybody called you that, IMO anyways everybody is qualified to have his opinion, but I just think looks have nothing to do with 'best'. You agree with that, see your post #9, but keep going on about something only you mentioned here.

In terms of best = all you say is BT50 has more bells and whistles than the Ranger and that's why it's the best?

Sorry, forgot this part of your post. What I said was: BT50 is an excellent ride, but has more bells and whistles than the Ranger, which is why I would prefer Mazda over Ford. Please don't leave out a part of what I said just to suit your needs.

Edited by stevenl

Yes, forgot Mitsubishi, would rate that below D-max, above Vigo/Navara.

@ bkkjames, why do you keep going on about being unqualified? I don't think anybody called you that, IMO anyways everybody is qualified to have his opinion, but I just think looks have nothing to do with 'best'. You agree with that, see your post #9, but keep going on about something only you mentioned here.

Not going on about it but a big part of buying a car /truck /house is how you feel about it when you are in it...the ford/mazda are identical for the most part except for styling. I prefer the Ford. The New Highlander is as nice to look at as the Ford XLT in my view but the Wildtrak beats the VCross. Again, my personal view. For entire package though, the Isuzu seems to pull ahead by a hair. However, if I had to choose between the Wildtrak and VCross I would take the Wildtrak cause I prefer its style.

Fuel economy means different things to different people, someone who drives 4000 kms a month for work is different than someone who drives 1000. There are trade-offs. BTW, i have seen some very nice looking BT50s in the thread about them and on the road, think it looks particularly better in Black. I sat in one at a mall a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't say no to it if they were giving it out for free.

But the OP just said best truck. From what I have read the Isuzu seems to have an edge on everything if by a small margin - price, styling, bells and whistles, ease to get serviced relatively cheaply, and fuel economy apparently. Enough for me to want to go drive one before placing a backorder for a Wildtrak at least. Although the Navara is old compared to the newbies from Ford, Mazda, Chevy, Isuzu, I drove a newish 4x4 recently that was loaded and rather enjoyed it I must say.

Anyways, debating this is a bit of exercise in frustration, kindly like Chevy vs Ford guys agreeing on Camaro vs Mustang. I think the OP could narrow it down a bit with his preferred ones, like a top 3 and what he plans to use it for.

Edited by bkkjames

Sorry, forgot this part of your post. What I said was: BT50 is an excellent ride, but has more bells and whistles than the Ranger, which is why I would prefer Mazda over Ford. Please don't leave out a part of what I said just to suit your needs.

I got my Ranger XLT 2.2L AT 4Dr for 799K...Mazda BT-50 2.2L AT 4Dr is 876K(?) has crappy leather seats and what other extras which will justify almost 80k extra Baht??!

- Ranger and Mazda are both excellent rides, but you might find 2.2 is a quite a small engine for such a big car, also even though I loved the look of the ranger in the showroom and at the BOI fair, for some reason on the road I don't like it as much.

- The Chevy is brand new, it's overall a good pick up, noisy engine though. Design wise the front end is a little "heavy", bigger wheels seem to balance it up.

rdFuX.jpg

- Dmax is proved and tested, good interior, styling and great resale value.

- Vigo has been slightly restyled this year but I think a completely new Vigo is coming out soon (makes a virtually new car look dated over night).

- Mitsu Triton is a good truck, aging a little. Navara I've never driven but haven't heard many good things about it.

• Like 2

- Ranger and Mazda are both excellent rides, but you might find 2.2 is a quite a small engine for such a big car,

Engine is more than sufficient. Just returned from a road trip with car fully loaded, inside and outside, and no problems at all with driving, overtaking, etc.

Ford and Mazda should be at the top of the list. They are nearly mechanically identical. They both have a 5-star safety rating.

Yeah errrm the built for Thailand Ranger/BT-50 is not 5 star NCAP, body and chassis is made from a lower grade steel than the built for AUS/Euro Ranger/BT-50.

Ford and Mazda should be at the top of the list. They are nearly mechanically identical. They both have a 5-star safety rating.

Yeah errrm the built for Thailand Ranger/BT-50 is not 5 star NCAP, body and chassis is made from a lower grade steel than the built for AUS/Euro Ranger/BT-50.

This has to be about the most ridiculous comment ever written in this forum. Total rubbish. Proof please?

• Like 2

This has to be about the most ridiculous comment ever written in this forum. Total rubbish. Proof please?

While I agree it is a silly statement, the idea that it is the most ridiculous may be a stretch....