Best Pickup Truck To Purchase New In Thailand

Nowhereman60

Ford and Mazda should be at the top of the list. They are nearly mechanically identical. They both have a 5-star safety rating.

Yeah errrm the built for Thailand Ranger/BT-50 is not 5 star NCAP, body and chassis is made from a lower grade steel than the built for AUS/Euro Ranger/BT-50.

This has to be about the most ridiculous comment ever written in this forum. Total rubbish. Proof please?

While I agree it is a silly statement, the idea that it is the most ridiculous may be a stretch....

Well,today it is cheesy.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford and Mazda should be at the top of the list. They are nearly mechanically identical. They both have a 5-star safety rating.

Yeah errrm the built for Thailand Ranger/BT-50 is not 5 star NCAP, body and chassis is made from a lower grade steel than the built for AUS/Euro Ranger/BT-50.

This has to be about the most ridiculous comment ever written in this forum. Total rubbish. Proof please?

While I agree it is a silly statement, the idea that it is the most ridiculous may be a stretch....

You may well be right, but his claim must surely be right up there with the best of 'the silly statements' posted on this forum. As I said before, total rubbish, except this time I'll add, by someone who has absolutely no idea about the Motor Manufacturing Business, unless he has an axe to grind ...............

Perhaps a Vigo sales rep?

Was told to me by a Ford Engineer, no axe to grind I love my Ranger.

2012-08-10-1042.jpg

I like my Ranger too. Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on you and I apologise for that. Now I shall redirect my response to 'the Ford Engineer' who told you such nonsense.

If you think about it for a moment, can you imagine the logistical nightmare of having two different quality parts running through a car assembly plant simultaneously. These plants build different cars for different markets during the same shifts all the time. Can you imagine a local assembler thinking, heck this one's for the Thai market, I better make sure it has the poor grade steel chassis and I'll hang those inferior doors and fender on her as well. Oh hell, the next one's of Australia and that needs the good stuff............ It's not quite like that I know as it's all done by data entry, but then someone has to enter the data.

They can't even get the tail lights right on them. Mine has an LHD rear fog lamp unit in place of the reversing lamp. I have two rear fog lamps which operate and no reverse lamp. There are three different tail light set ups on the various models and if they can screw that up, image if they were using different grades of steel for different markets. Just not possible.

The reason it isn't 5* is because the Thai Ranger has less airbags, nothing to do with lower quality steel.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

2012-08-10-1042.jpg

I like my Ranger too. Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on you and I apologise for that. Now I shall redirect my response to 'the Ford Engineer' who told you such nonsense.

If you think about it for a moment, can you imagine the logistical nightmare of having two different quality parts running through a car assembly plant simultaneously. These plants build different cars for different markets during the same shifts all the time. Can you imagine a local assembler thinking, heck this one's for the Thai market, I better make sure it has the poor grade steel chassis and I'll hang those inferior doors and fender on her as well. Oh hell, the next one's of Australia and that needs the good stuff............ It's not quite like that I know as it's all done by data entry, but then someone has to enter the data.

They can't even get the tail lights right on them. Mine has an LHD rear fog lamp unit in place of the reversing lamp. I have two rear fog lamps which operate and no reverse lamp. There are three different tail light set ups on the various models and if they can screw that up, image if they were using different grades of steel for different markets. Just not possible.

lmao, do you seriously think the plebs on the manufacturing line have any input into the content of each individual vehicle. using steels of a different grade is no more complicated than having a build sheet that says this vehicle get a fog light and this one does not.

I do not really care if any of you believe me or not but I have had this confirmed by a friend who works in the design dept at Ford Australia and several engineers at my work who have extensive experience working at vehicle plants.

Here is a cut and paste of a post from another forum (the person who put it up was until very recently working at the AAT plant) which led me to ask around if it was true or not.

Ranger NCAP frame is different from non NCAP (St I-IV and St V emissions also equal different frames). Ford corporate guidelines dictate Australia requires a minimum of 12 year corrosion protection, Thailand is 6 year that equals different steel.

<snip>

No seperate production line, no need. Just the same as there isn't a seperate line for single, rap and double cabs. They are just different variants. NCAP frame is stiffer and contains more brackets than a Non NCAP. Same as St V requires extra brackets for DPF etc compared to St I-IV. Ford Ranger body shares some steel to save complexity through AAT but Thai and Australia bodies are definitely different.

Edited by Spoonman

2012-08-10-1042.jpg

sounds to me like my cost for the 2nd one is coming down ;) put whatever lights in it you want.

Though it is due for replacement?, Toyota recently have upgraded the Vigo Champ (+ Fortuner), the engine power increased and a five speed auto box. Plus some other interior mods. Worth a look and interestingly Toyota did not increase the list price for the new stuff.

Rangers look good with the new colours, still can not get used to that smiley grill on the Mazda. If I was looking for a new truck, the new Isuzu 2.5L VGS four door auto would be on my list too.

2012-08-10-1042.jpg

lmao, do you seriously think the plebs on the manufacturing line have any input into the content of each individual vehicle. using steels of a different grade is no more complicated than having a build sheet that says this vehicle get a fog light and this one does not.

I do not really care if any of you believe me or not but I have had this confirmed by a friend who works in the design dept at Ford Australia and several engineers at my work who have extensive experience working at vehicle plants.

Here is a cut and paste of a post from another forum (the person who put it up was until very recently working at the AAT plant) which led me to ask around if it was true or not.

Ranger NCAP frame is different from non NCAP (St I-IV and St V emissions also equal different frames). Ford corporate guidelines dictate Australia requires a minimum of 12 year corrosion protection, Thailand is 6 year that equals different steel.

<snip>

No seperate production line, no need. Just the same as there isn't a seperate line for single, rap and double cabs. They are just different variants. NCAP frame is stiffer and contains more brackets than a Non NCAP. Same as St V requires extra brackets for DPF etc compared to St I-IV. Ford Ranger body shares some steel to save complexity through AAT but Thai and Australia bodies are definitely different.

Not much point continuing as you are now discussing different issues. Nothing to do with your original, wildly inaccurate claim. Just to remind you, here it is:

"Yeah errrm the built for Thailand Ranger/BT-50 is not 5 star NCAP, body and chassis is made from a lower grade steel than the built for AUS/Euro Ranger/BT-50."

skybluestu is correct regarding the airbags and NCAP

It's the same steel.

You're lifting and pasting arguments made by one poster on performanceforum, where incidentally you were on the other side of the argument. The St I-IV and St V emission argument he sprouts he has absolutely no proof of. His only real argument is : Ford corporate guidelines dictate Australia requires a minimum of 12 year corrosion protection Thailand is 6 year -> "that equals different steel". Well no. it doesn't. Had he been anywhere near a quality department (or even purchasing) he would know. The same grade steel, the exact same electronic component, will be given a much shorter shelf life in tropical countries. 6 years no corrosion in wet Thailand is not much different from 12 years in hot and dry Australia.

Variants like single, rap, double cab multiplied by different grade steels for each market in the same plant, spare parts etc, logistical nightmare, just not going to happen.

Btw did he ever PM you his real name? He disappeared from the thread after you asked...

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

It's the same steel.

You're lifting and pasting arguments made by one poster on performanceforum, where incidentally you were on the other side of the argument. The St I-IV and St V emission argument he sprouts he has absolutely no proof of. His only real argument is : Ford corporate guidelines dictate Australia requires a minimum of 12 year corrosion protection Thailand is 6 year -> "that equals different steel". Well no. it doesn't. Had he been anywhere near a quality department (or even purchasing) he would know. The same grade steel, the exact same electronic component, will be given a much shorter shelf life in tropical countries. 6 years no corrosion in wet Thailand is not much different from 12 years in hot and dry Australia.

Variants like single, rap, double cab multiplied by different grade steels for each market in the same plant, spare parts etc, logistical nightmare, just not going to happen.

Btw did he ever PM you his real name? He disappeared from the thread after you asked...

clap2.gif

Yes he did, and I confirmed who he is.

And the best he can do is corrosion guideline (which btw has nothing to do with steel thickness but panel coating) = different steel? No way. I have an engineer brother working in the auto industry, ask him about a part he will give you an exact reference and specs in a heartbeat. This guy however, sounded good but reminded me of this "structures at the bottom of the ocean...therefore aliens". biggrin.png

Edited by firestar

lower grade steels = a more bendy vehicle, will not pass 5 star NACP no matter how many airbags you put in it.

The quote said "different steel" not lower grade. It's a bit of a stretch to predict crash test results based on that alone. I can understand minor design details varying between markets (like the DPF brackets) but it's hard to imagine Ford using different steel grades but who knows.

The Triton was one of the first pickups to get a 4 star rating, followed by most of the others. Now the Ranger and Colorado have achieved 5 star ratings which is excellent but the other trucks are still perfectly good.

Foreign crash test results are not the only factor to consider. In Thailand some of the base model trucks still lack airbags and ABS. Australian and European crash test results are an approximation for similar models sold in Thailand. Most of the manufactures do the same as Ford and make subtle changes to equipment and materials for different markets. These can make a difference to crash test results. A few years ago Nissan claimed they could get the Navara from 1 star to 4 stars with minor changes including fiddling software for Airbag deployment and seat belt tensioners.

• 11 months later...

sorry if the post is too old however this is my issue...looking for a 4dr AT pickup...has to have all the basic safety systems...abs ,srs and others first & then all the other gadgets...usb,bluetooth,control on steering wheel,projector headlight,fog lamps and what not...under 900k preferably :)

the thai websites for some companies are &lt;deleted&gt;...thnx for any helpful insight

sorry if the post is too old however this is my issue...looking for a 4dr AT pickup...has to have all the basic safety systems...abs ,srs and others first & then all the other gadgets...usb,bluetooth,control on steering wheel,projector headlight,fog lamps and what not...under 900k preferably smile.png

the thai websites for some companies are &lt;deleted&gt;...thnx for any helpful insight

Ford Ranger or Mazda BT50.

sorry if the post is too old however this is my issue...looking for a 4dr AT pickup...has to have all the basic safety systems...abs ,srs and others first & then all the other gadgets...usb,bluetooth,control on steering wheel,projector headlight,fog lamps and what not...under 900k preferably smile.png

my last car was the fiesta sport & i have to say that each time i went to the shop they had no parts in stock and always said to book a session in advanced cause it will take a few days....it was back in mid 2011...is it still like that today and with ranger in particular ?

how's mazda service in terms of spare part around here (bkk) ? thnx

my last car was the fiesta sport & i have to say that each time i went to the shop they had no parts in stock and always said to book a session in advanced cause it will take a few days....it was back in mid 2011...is it still like that today and with ranger in particular ?

how's mazda service in terms of spare part around here (bkk) ? thnx

Toyota, noooooooo question. What pickups do the bad boys bolt on a 50 caliber....................................................A Toyota. Why, can take a lot of ''flack'' but will get you home. laugh.png

According to Toyota web site...from the 4 AT model with 4dr only the top model 4x4 comes with airbags (srs)...so I am not even considering getting a car like that & the top model price tag is unfit to my needs

Thnx

You want reliability.......... you pay for it...................you want to save a few baht, you take your chance.................smile.png

According to Toyota web site...from the 4 AT model with 4dr only the top model 4x4 comes with airbags (srs)...so I am not even considering getting a car like that & the top model price tag is unfit to my needs

Thnx

You want reliability.......... you pay for it...................you want to save a few baht, you take your chance.................Posted Image

555 oh I wouldn't call more than 150k a few baht and besides...I don't want a 4x4 option

I think it's a shame Toyota is neglecting the safety systems in the Thai market to save "a few baht"

Thnx

You want reliability.......... you pay for it...................you want to save a few baht, you take your chance.................smile.png

555 oh I wouldn't call more than 150k a few baht and besides...I don't want a 4x4 option

I think it's a shame Toyota is neglecting the safety systems in the Thai market to save "a few baht"

Locals aren't interested in seat belts, air bags, insurance etc and Toyota aren't really interested in the odd farang wanting life vests on board. Oh, they are 5 speed AT now.

Locals aren't interested in seat belts, air bags, insurance etc and Toyota aren't really interested in the odd farang wanting life vests on board. Oh, they are 5 speed AT now.

555 I'm here long enough to know that...I hope your Vigo will continue to serve you loyally for many years to come...I'll have to find something else :)

555 I'm here long enough to know that...I hope your Vigo will continue to serve you loyally for many years to come...I'll have to find something else smile.png

Be sure of one thing, if my motor was crap I would tell folk here, honestly. Been involved with some trucks and would never buy any other make.

Couple of makes are new on the block in sales volume, locals didn't/wouldn't buy them before. Seems the manufacturers are getting their act together, but I think it is early days and look forward to reading about issues here as time goes bye to get a better picture.

I only owned one truck, my 2.2 Ranger WT AT 2WD and I love it. Now with almost 5000 km in about 5 month, no problems so far.

If I was to buy a truck tomorrow I would still buy a Ranger and many others are buying them as well, see a lot on the road now.

Head about 5 water damaged Rangers here on the forum by TV member Spoonman which is a bit worrying, I would really like to know what went wrong.