Thai Airways To Hire Flight Attendants Up To Age 60

webfact

THAI to hire flight attendants up to age 60

THE NATION

30190417-01_big.jpg

Early retirement deals also offered to keep costs low

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI)'s board of directors Friday agreed to extend the age limit for female flight attendants hired under outsourcing contracts to 60 years from 45 years.

Thai Airways will consider the performance of each outsource employee annually before offering a new contract.

For outsource air and ground employees, Thai Airways will extend the maximum age stipulated in hiring contracts to 60.

Because the company will incur higher expenses from the contract extensions, THAI is reportedly offering a "mutual separation plan" to female flight attendants over 45 years of age in a bid to reduce costs. The female attendants aged over 45 have been offered a voluntary retirement package ahead of the obligatory retirement age of 60.

Meanwhile, the board has also officially appointed Sorajak Kasemsuvan as THAI's new president.

Chokchai Panyayong, executive vice president and acting president of Thai Airways, said the cabin factor of the national carrier increased in August to 78.8 per cent from 74.8 per cent in July. Cabin factor is the percentage of seats sold.

THAI will have more flexibility in setting its flight schedule after Thai AirAsia moves all its Bangkok operations to Don Mueang International Airport by October 1, Chokchai said.

"Passenger traffic at Suvarnabhumi Airport will be relaxed. After buying A380 aircraft, Thai Airways plans to increase the number of flights by 10 per cent next year," he said.

The number of passengers flying THAI in August was 1.78 million, up by 9.8 per cent from 1.62 million passengers in the same month last year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-14

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened in SAS in 99. They did a study with businessmen and found that the average businessman wanted a matriarch type figure rather than a trolley dolly, and so in came the 50-60 year olds. It seemed to be a big success. I guess it all depends on the type of clientele you are dealing with.

Recently United Airlines Ron Akana retired at the age of 83, I personally would have loved to have flown a sector with him. I think the bidding process based on seniority is out of date, that's why you end up with a very senior crew especially on long haul flights, give me a balance of experience & gender and I'm happy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/ron-akana-83-year-old-flight-attendant-lands-in-guinness-book_n_1837389.html

Hooray for old people!

Maybe this will set a precedent against age discrimination in other fields.

I'd rather have a young fit bird serving me coffee if I was honest. But the most important things for me is that they know what they're doing and I'm as safe as possible.

Hooray for old people!

I'd rather have a young fit bird serving me coffee if I was honest. But the most important things for me is that they know what they're doing and I'm as safe as possible.

which still won't happen by the time they are 60..its thai airways we are talking about.

They may be starting to cut back on safety budgets and might feel that in case of a crash a few old gimmers might be expendable.biggrin.png

Edited by sysardman

Hooray for old people!

Hooray for old people!

which still won't happen by the time they are 60..its thai airways we are talking about.

They may be starting to cut back on safety budgets and might feel that in case of a crash a few old gimmers might be expendable.biggrin.png

On second thoughts it might be a safety improvement because the pilot and co-pilot might actually spend more time flying the plane than sneaking off for a crafty with the young trolly dollythumbsup.gif

I feel this is not a good decision. The job of a flight attendant is demanding and requires high energy. I've seen with so many USA airlines how poor the service is with the older attendants.

Forget US airlines, try European where age doesn't count and proven safety does!

I feel this is not a good decision. The job of a flight attendant is demanding and requires high energy. I've seen with so many USA airlines how poor the service is with the older attendants.

I've heard this arguement for years that the service on US carriers is poor and blame the older FA's - I disagree 100%.

Firstly a lot of the senior FA's in the USA we re-hired after they were terminated in their youth for anything from getting pregnant to going to school. "Macdonald Case United Airlines" many re-joined carriers after they finished raising their family and are just as eager to serve as a new hire but with a lot more life experiences.

I've had fantastic service from FA's who are able bodied senior FA's & absolutely horrible service from 21 year old newly hired kids. It all depends on that day.

In an emergency I'd rather have a seasoned professional FA yelling instructions at me then a kid who whispers behind her hand. Balance is all I am suggesting.

I agree with poor service bit

Hooray for old people!

Hooray for old people!

Or, they might feel that young tarts are freely (Opp's) available in Pattaya and and airline should offer more 'feel my tits"?

This happened in SAS in 99. They did a study with businessmen and found that the average businessman wanted a matriarch type figure rather than a trolley dolly, and so in came the 50-60 year olds. It seemed to be a big success. I guess it all depends on the type of clientele you are dealing with.

Agreed, since when does service depend on looks, or is some one suggesting that the bar mentality must apply to all services?

If 60-year olds can be waitresses on the ground why not in the air? Although I have got a ways to go before I get up there in age (clarify no bias), it is really not that old now a days unless somebody really lets themselves go and no doubt they still will need to pass a physical and other qualifications regularly or if there is reason to believe they can't handle the job. If pilots are not forced to retire until 65, then why in the world force a stewardess out at 45?

• Like 2

For starters, flight attendants are only glorified waiters/waitresses. A job that can be done by anyone from 12 to 99. (the way it is done nowadays).

And I hope the same will apply to hookers in Pattaya.

Them hookers have rights too you know!

And that will get rid of the rifraf that now visits Pattaya.

I agree. Especially on the American airlines, the attendants all seem bitter and tired. Even the young male ones are already bitter and sullen. On a recent United Airlines flight, I was suffering from a migraine, and felt about to puke, when I asked them for an aspirin, and was told they didn't have any. I know they are not doctors or nurses, but I don't think it would kill them to dispense an aspirin.

• Like 1

Interesting they outsource. I wonder how much is paid to the outsourced company and who owns it? I am a little concerned that as the main role of the flight attendant is flight safety that a requirement of fitness should remain. They are supposed to be fit enough to assist people to evacuate in event of emergency. Some 60 year olds can some 25 year olds cannot.

I agree. Especially on the American airlines, the attendants all seem bitter and tired. Even the young male ones are already bitter and sullen. On a recent United Airlines flight, I was suffering from a migraine, and felt about to puke, when I asked them for an aspirin, and was told they didn't have any. I know they are not doctors or nurses, but I don't think it would kill them to dispense an aspirin.

Nor would it kill you to carry aspirin knowing you suffer from migraines ? I'm not trying to flame but common sense should prevail with a condition.

As far as I can see flying Thai airways most of the business class air hostesses are already close to 60 years old ( I mean that sincerely, not being funny) . Older air hostesses also tend to be ruder and provide poorer service than young keen hotter ones.

• Like 1