Yachties ?

TwoDogz

I used to run a yacht between Singapore and Phuket - but that was back in the '70's and early '80's. It was a sort of maverick operation and not much to do with clubs, marinas and that sort of stuff. What do you need to find out?

Oh...dodgy stuff huh.

70's tad dated...thats before morse code innit...let alone the internety

• Like 1

I used to run a yacht between Singapore and Phuket - but that was back in the '70's and early '80's. It was a sort of maverick operation and not much to do with clubs, marinas and that sort of stuff. What do you need to find out?

Oh...dodgy stuff huh.

Come on now, speak English, not London-ish. smile.png

Oh...dodgy stuff huh.

Dodgy? Did I say that? Not particularly - just saying that the club/marina thing was not really available or needed. Now, what do you want to know?

I want to know about communication out on the open ocean or in remote island areas these days with the modern facilities available.

Is the internet available in such spots and by how and what would it cost >

How would you access internet sailing from spot to spot and country to country ?

I want to know about communication out on the open ocean or in remote island areas these days with the modern facilities available.

How would you access internet sailing from spot to spot and country to country ?

Guess I can't help you then - back in my day we only had sat-nav and radio and morse, of course. Oh yes - charts too. Have fun.

Edited by richardjm65

Think you should stay home. sad.png

I raced on the US east coast (PHRF C East Coast champions 1988) and now on the west coast in PHRF-A offshore and have been wondering about crewing opportunities out of Phuket.

I haven't seen any mention of racing on TV but my search skillls suck.

I raced on the US east coast (PHRF C East Coast champions 1988) and now on the west coast in PHRF-A offshore and have been wondering about crewing opportunities out of Phuket.

Pattaya.

Have a look at this web site. http://www.passageweather.com/

It is weather forecast site, but it runs ads for Marine Electronics at the top of the home page, may be of help.

FD

Just curious what offshore races you have done?

Just curious what offshore races you have done?

Lately I trim mainsail on an A-boat off Long Beach in course races a couple of times a week. I raced Newport-Ensenada every year for many years on various boats but that race sort of died after 9/11 due to the vessel boarding at the border. I crewed on a few of those "out around Catalina" races and once or twice Marina Del Ray to Newport.

Edited by NaMah

Sorry TwoDogz, I didn't see your comm question and thought it was a thread about racing.

My friend has a 55' boat up in the San Juan Islands and we are talking about how setup internet on it right now.

I ran communications for Sea Launch (launching Russian rockets from a platform in the south Pacific) for a few years (the first 7 launches) and that was a largish tracking antenna utilizing Intelsat for wideband internet access and it was too expensive for non-commercial use then. Nowdays the prices have come down considerably for the tracking antenna and for the data itself and can be done for < $10k USD. Usually the vessel will stream TV over wideband internet but there are separate television solutions if that is a requirement. Basically the stabilized antenna on the boat tracks an unmodulated beacon transmitted from the satellite and they work remarkably well unless the sea state is very poor. My friend with the 55' is looking for at least 5 Mbps down.

SeaTel-3011.png

Sorry TwoDogz, I didn't see your comm question and thought it was a thread about racing.

My friend has a 55' boat up in the San Juan Islands and we are talking about how setup internet on it right now.

I ran communications for Sea Launch (launching Russian rockets from a platform in the south Pacific) for a few years (the first 7 launches) and that was a largish tracking antenna utilizing Intelsat for wideband internet access and it was too expensive for non-commercial use then. Nowdays the prices have come down considerably for the tracking antenna and for the data itself and can be done for < $10k USD. Usually the vessel will stream TV over wideband internet but there are separate television solutions if that is a requirement. Basically the stabilized antenna on the boat tracks an unmodulated beacon transmitted from the satellite and they work remarkably well unless the sea state is very poor. My friend with the 55' is looking for at least 5 Mbps down.

SeaTel-3011.png

Excellent, thats what I'm looking for.

Interested from the point of view of long distance learning for kids and the huge variety these days of excellent learning tools on the internet.

So you were a russian spy huh ?

SeaTel-3011.png

Excellent, thats what I'm looking for.

Interested from the point of view of long distance learning for kids and the huge variety these days of excellent learning tools on the internet.

So you were a russian spy huh ?

I'm from the Canadian side of the San Juan islands. My parents always had a sailboat - still do. Spent most of my 20's living and sailing in the Virgin Islands, including a few "delivery crew" trips to and from the east coast of the US. Haven't done much sailing since coming to Thailand though, so I'm sure that I'm way behind the curve on maritime connectivity.

Dog face is spot on. You can see these antenna domes on lots of expensive yachts.

The name I've always known is Inmarsat (http://www.inmarsat.com/) - but as mentioned, it was outrageously expensive back then- for commercial or the Uber-Rich only. Glad to hear that it is now more affordable for the masses.

I'm from the Canadian side of the San Juan islands. My parents always had a sailboat - still do. Spent most of my 20's living and sailing in the Virgin Islands, including a few "delivery crew" trips to and from the east coast of the US. Haven't done much sailing since coming to Thailand though, so I'm sure that I'm way behind the curve on maritime connectivity.

Dog face is spot on. You can see these antenna domes on lots of expensive yachts.

The name I've always known is Inmarsat (http://www.inmarsat.com/) - but as mentioned, it was outrageously expensive back then- for commercial or the Uber-Rich only. Glad to hear that it is now more affordable for the masses.

Can't imagine growing up in such a beautiful place. Wow.

On Sea Launch we used Inmarsat for backup voice (telephone) service and it was incredibly expensive. I currently work on ah some stuff using Inmarsat data service (narrow-band) as a backup and it is still very expensive but it is reliable and it is nearly global.

Edited by NaMah