Yachties ?

TwoDogz

I want to know about communication out on the open ocean or in remote island areas these days with the modern facilities available.

Is the internet available in such spots and by how and what would it cost >

How would you access internet sailing from spot to spot and country to country ?

Used to be a yachty, that's how ended up here..

.suggest you do a lot of reading of yachting magazines and the million books on the subject, also drop in at a marina and ask, talk to the yachties...cruising guides and info abound.( recommend you buy Cruising Guide to SE Asia and Sail Thailand ) there is a South East Asia Pilot on line also...

.WIFI internet is available when inshore, if offshore you can access through your HF/SSB though very slow and limited functionality

.... "aids to navigation" in Thailand are somewhat limited to say the least. Thai and British paper charts are available in marinas and stores and of course lots of GPS/chart plotter hard and software. have fun and good luck...smile.png

Not sure if I could be called a yachty, I have mostly just raced one design around the bouys( 3 different classes) and long distance day races in PHR.. Have been around Vancouver Island a couple of times. Up to Alaska. Did committee work for America Cup qualifiers ( with the gentleman who runs committee for the Olympic races)and worked committee on CISM( with same guy). Am an active member of a Royal on the west coast.Still have a 27 footer for cruising back in Canada.

I too have tried to connect in Thailand but have given up.Phuket seems to be Bangkok businessmen owned boats. They appear to be owners only cannot sail. Hire guys to maintain and sail the boats.I was told they just come down to Phuket with their buddies and women go out on the water party for a day or 2 and come back.

Pattaya from what I can found out is dinghy sailing. I am too old for that.

But if you are young and strong give it a try.The Royal Varuna is inexpensive to join and maintain membership. But is mostly dingies as I said.

Well good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

Regarding the internet sailing. There is a game based an the America's cup which is an excellent sailing and racing simulationl. Many internet sailing clubs around the world formed to interactively race a variety of yachts on many courses.. It was expandable and many new courses and boats were included. The designer of the simulator seems to have fallen into the trap of selling his rights to sailing simulators to the a large game manafacturer some years ago and as he cannot improve it as he wishes I believe they have now parted ways.....I may be wrong. Currently the game which was bought for a fixed price allowed unlimited interaction. It has now been converted to a fee per year game.

I just recieved an email from VSK ( an australian group) saying that they were stopping enrolling new members because of the changes and were considering disolution and offering their database of program additions to any club that wanted to host them.

It still is an excellent sailing and racing simulation for both solo and interactive play. Nothing replaces the real boats and the bottles of wine but a night with a few changs and the game do come close.

cruising guide to Thailand...lol

for entertainment purposes only!!!

Seeing these pics reminds of how hot fibreglass boats can be. Many of my cruising friends say that when in tropics they prefer to be in the water than on the boat. I think I would stay to racing in Thailand. But to each his own. Nice boat by the way. Looks a bit like an Endeavour 35. So little to see hard to tell.

Edited by lovelomsak

YachtMaster (Ocean) & RYA Instructor. What did you want to know?

As in above posts.

Also what are the best sailing forums for lots of info ?

The one mentioned above is not that big, I would imagine some very big forum community out there somewhere.

Looks a bit like an Endeavour 35. So little to see hard to tell.

That picture has me going too. Don't think it is Endeavour 35 though- those steps leading aft are wrong. Like you say- not enough to see, but my guess is a Crealock design.

Definitely an offshore cruiser though - fishing pole deployed at all times!

That picture has me going too. Don't think it is Endeavour 35 though- those steps leading aft are wrong. Like you say- not enough to see, but my guess is a Crealock design.

Yeah, you don't usually encounter a jib roller-furling on a racer. Pretty nice boat though. The backside of that crew-member is spectacular. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I raced on the US east coast (PHRF C East Coast champions 1988) and now on the west coast in PHRF-A offshore and have been wondering about crewing opportunities out of Phuket.

I haven't seen any mention of racing on TV but my search skillls suck.

There are regetta's held out of Phuket. I remember seeing an article on them on the phuket gazette news site.

Vagabond 42...Built in Hong Kong..would have loved a Crealock but bit above my pay scale..lol

post-36430-0-48783800-1347748661_thumb.j

Vagabond 42...Built in Hong Kong..would have loved a Crealock but bit above my pay scale..lol

Now I see the complete picture looks way different than I was imagining. Sorry for my poor quess.

Now I see the complete picture looks way different than I was imagining. Sorry for my poor quess.

no worries mate...wish I could have afforded a Hans Christian though..............maybe in another life..smile.png

Think a cat is probably best in this part of the world ..lots of space and shoal draft for gunk-holing and beaching..

Next boat will be a trailer-able cuddy fishing boat methinks...if the frickin price of rubber ever goes back up.!!!!..lol

I am thinking to have a mid life crisis and if I have it with my left hand...I am going to buy a yacht and piss off cruising and disappear...if I have it with my right hand I am going to give away all my money.

same same...boats or women...not the initial acquisition..it is the maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.....lol

To andwer op question - not expensive to maintain email communication via sat phone you can mcguyver something together. If you want to kill a few hours a day. on tv, that is. problem.

Many Thai islands have a reasonable signal from mobile towers. So you could recv the Internet this way. Think mobile browser eg droid or fapple ios.

There are other sat systems that might work for US Pacific and gulf Mexico, much cheaper but the dish and gear not marine quality. Should work though.

PS Ive been out on boats in middle of nowhere Phils, Indo, Malaysia you can get a signal often, esp Phils. Dont discount cllever methods like calling friends for info or texting.

To andwer op question - not expensive to maintain email communication via sat phone you can mcguyver something together. If you want to kill a few hours a day. on tv, that is. problem.

Many Thai islands have a reasonable signal from mobile towers. So you could recv the Internet this way. Think mobile browser eg droid or fapple ios.

There are other sat systems that might work for US Pacific and gulf Mexico, much cheaper but the dish and gear not marine quality. Should work though.

PS Ive been out on boats in middle of nowhere Phils, Indo, Malaysia you can get a signal often, esp Phils. Dont discount cllever methods like calling friends for info or texting.

Would need more than just email...able to download and use interactive sites.

Not for watching tv....for learning.

http://www.kvh.com/Leisure/Marine-Systems/Phone-and-Internet/mini-VSAT-Broadband/TracPhone-V3.aspx

their vendor search suggests that they have a Thai distributor, though the site makes no mention of KVH products. No pricing available. though their site says < 1USD per MB

If you will be cruising close to shore http://www.internetforboats.com/index.html

Syscomtech Engineering Pte Ltd. [View Map]

1011/42 Soi Sukhumvit 71

Sukhumvit Road

Bangkok,

Thailand

Phone: (622) 381 1518

Fax: (662) 381 1566

E-mail: [email protected]

Request a Quote

Edited by tinfoilhat

No need to apologize - all in fun. One of my favorite things to do is go dock-walking and look at all of the yachts that are beyond my pay grade!

Vagabond 42 looks good. Definitley built with blue water in mind. Lots of storage spaces, and especially how the galley has the basins on / close to the centerline! A lot less sloppy at sea!