What Is The Best Dslr Camera Out There Right Now?

I'm interested in photography and I want to know what is the best quality dSLR out there right now? I'm a beginner, so I probably would need something that is user-friendly, but also the best of its kind. My price range would be anything from $600-2000. If you could recommend anything for me, that would be great!

I would also like to know, how can you tell a good quality camera from an okay one?

err... the best DSLR doesn't cost between 600 and 2000 USD. So this is a no-go from the start.

also you don't say if that budget includes the various lenses and flash?

with that type of budget, I would look into buying a good entry-level DSLR plus two lenses and a flash.

I recommend the Nikon D7000.

Go to sites like dpreview.com and kenrockwell.com. As a beginner you have a lot of research. I am a Nikon user but both Canon and Nikon are the leaders in dslr's and once you commit you will are married to their accessories and lenses. Lenses in the long haul will be your biggest investment but quality lenses can actually appreciate over the years. I would keep your first dslr purchase more basic (and less expensive).

I'd go with a Canon G12 and no its not a DSLR per-se but a darn fine camera. Perfect for beginner. You might find its all you need or want and under US600! You may have issues w/ interchangeable lenses with this camera (no zoom/macro).

Bad luck with Olympus (Tough) and I think Nikon pretty mediocre.

Edited by bangkokburning

I'd go with a Canon G12 and no its not a DSLR per-se but a darn fine camera. Perfect for beginner. You might find its all you need or want and under US600! You may have issues w/ interchangeable lenses with this camera (no zoom/macro).

Bad luck with Olympus (Tough) and I think Nikon pretty mediocre.

I agree about the G12 but as you noted he did say dslr.

Another site to visit is http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

These lab tests cameras, sensors, lenses on how they perform in the lab. Very helpful in that removes peoples and reviewers personal biases.

I would stay away from Ken Rockwell, he publishes inflammatory nonsense to create controversy around the web in order to drive traffic to his site. The man is generally regarded as a joke.

Photokina, the number one show for showcasing new products, is about to open and there are a load of new offerings which you could consider. DPreview will cover them all.

As a beginner, why do you think you need a DSLR? You might be happy with a camera without interchangeable lenses, the G12 is an example; the Sony RX100 is another, a new release which is garnering great reviews; and there are similar offerings from other manufacturers. Gives you a camera to learn from as a beginner without committing you to as system which you may later decide is not for you once you have a clearer idea of what you need.

Alternatively, you might want the flexibility of an interchangeable lens setup, which no longer means you have to commit to the size of a DSLR. There are mirrorless solutions from Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and others and they all have merits. Personally I would never buy another DSLR; I can carry a mirrorless body and four lenses in a small bag at very little weight, and produce images that please me. But your needs/aspirations may be different and only you can decide.

If you are starting out, I would half your budget, read up on some of the non-interchangeable lens cameras, make a short list and then go to your nearest camera shop and handle them to see which one suits you. Make sure your list contains cameras that allow you full control of the camera (not just a point and shoot), so you can use the camera to learn photography. Then make you choice and go and shoot thousands of photos! (Having a smaller camera that you can easily carry makes it much more likely that you will take photos). After that you will have a much better understanding of what you might need for the future.

• Like 2

Agreed, Ken Rockwell is controversial, opinionated and certainly not afraid to state his views. That's why I like the dxomark site; no bs just the test results, no opinions.

I suspect the OP has a point and shoot or compact camera already and wants to take his photography to the next level, hence he is asking about a dslr.

Seeing your title I entered to add the Canon 1ds mark iii - it is superb (superseded though) but still my favourite.

Depending on the photography style you choose will determine the lenses you require. Most quality ones would be out of reach with that budget though

Agreed, Ken Rockwell is controversial, opinionated and certainly not afraid to state his views. That's why I like the dxomark site; no bs just the test results, no opinions.

I suspect the OP has a point and shoot or compact camera already and wants to take his photography to the next level, hence he is asking about a dslr.

The problem with Rockwell is not that he has opinions, it is that they are deliberately provocative in order to create debate elsewhere and drive traffic to his site.

The OP defines himself as a beginner, and like so many other beginners, assumes that he needs a DSLR to take decent photos. Maybe true a few years ago, but not any longer. Compact system cameras are wonderful creative tools that take great photos, without the bulk and weight of a DSLR.

The problem with Rockwell is not that he has opinions, it is that they are deliberately provocative in order to create debate elsewhere and drive traffic to his site.

The OP defines himself as a beginner, and like so many other beginners, assumes that he needs a DSLR to take decent photos. Maybe true a few years ago, but not any longer. Compact system cameras are wonderful creative tools that take great photos, without the bulk and weight of a DSLR.

I agree, the new P&S and compacts take great pictures. But we don't know the OP's motives. Perhaps we wants to shoot sporting events, concerts in low light, macro photography, birds, etc. and become hobbyist and advanced user.

Pentax K30. Weatherproof. Shake reduction built into the camera body so you can use any of the vast number of K mount lenses that have been available since 1975 and, with an adapter, any of the M42 lenses too.

Takes good pictures too...

Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs (no anti-aliasing filter for shaper images yet risks moire and jaggies) are out in October.

I'd recommend the K-5 II (body only) and the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD lens to start. Very sharp lens and good value. Later look at Sigma 8-16mm for super wide and Tamron 90mm Macro for macro.

If you've got it to spend, the Pentax 31mm f1.8 is supposedly a legendary lens, but the price is too high in my opinion.

Also a Giottos MTL9361B tripod with Giottos MH1311-652 Series 2 ball head.

This guy's quite impressed with his K5 and K7 shock1.gif

The only real downside to the K-5 and still with the K-5 II is the dire video function. It really is bad and shouldn't be like this now when you consider the quality of video a mobile telephone can produce these days.

The only type of photography that really needs a DSLR is action/sports, where the focus tracking of a DSLR is needed to lock onto and follow a subject. For all other photography, a compact system camera is more than sufficient and is used not only by a "hobbyist and advanced user"; but increasingly by professionals.

Beginners get conned that they have to have a DSLR to take serious photos, then they carry the big lump around on occasion, more often and not set on Auto mode, before losing interest. Far better, in my view, to have something smaller and lighter that they can carry everywhere, which is more fun to shoot and can still produce photos that delight them.

Just my personal view and experience, your mileage may vary as they say.

Edited by astral
Removing long quote

Yeah, unless you are shooting action or animals you should really think about what you want to do with the camera. My GF sold off her DSLR and bought the G11, she could not be happier not lugging all that camera about.

Next a word of warning - do not trust any review sites (unless the guys here can give you a few). I noticed when buying my camera after the fact that much of the review, critical elements were missing or omitted. Camera never tested under XX conditions. They simply never have anything critical to say about a camera - any of them. Never do they say buy THIS over THAT. Or..this is my pick for camera of the year - full stop, buy it. Sites are just vague crap of statistics you can get on the OEM sites.

The only type of photography that really needs a DSLR is action/sports,....

That is simply is not true but I am not going to get in a discussion about that.

When somebody says I am in the market for a luxury car or what do think you about a Mercedes vs BMW the reply isn't "Why do you need that car?" the fully loaded Honda Accord provides all the luxury one could need at a fraction of the cost. The OP provided no details other than he considers himself a beginner and wants a quality DSLR. What if he told you he already has an excellent P&S camera or even owns the G-11. Without more information (equipment/motives) we are just pointlessly speculating.

.... For all other photography, a compact system camera is more than sufficient and is used not only by a "hobbyist and advanced user"; but increasingly by professionals.

Professionals make their living shooting and are not going to trust their livelihoods to inadequate equipment. They have professional grade equipment but guess what, they will also have a camera like the g-11 in their arsenal which is geared for the consumer market.

Earlier, someone mentioned the canon 1d. The OP could pick one used with a quality Canon lens and be well within his budget. He gets what is still an excellent camera, weather sealed, full frame (not APS-C), etc.,etc.

• Like 1

This has the danger of degenerating into an argument, rather than offering help to the OP, so I will duck out, but with some final thoughts.

I have lost count of the number of beginners who think they need a DSLR as a basis to improve their skills. What they are literally saying is that they need a camera with a flapping mirror, which always turns out to not be what they mean. While it may have been true four years ago that the main camera groups were a DSLR or a point and shoot, that is no longer the case. I was just trying to suggest that a look at the ever increasing choice and quality of compact system cameras might provide a more enjoyable and relevant solution.

My comment about needing a DSLR only for sports/action was, as I said a personal view. I use a DSLR for sports work that earns me money, and for that I need ten frames a second, preferably with every shot in focus. If the OP needs that, then indeed get a DSLR which has a focus mechanism that can deliver such results. For everything else (landscape, travel, street, product photography, portraits, macro, low light) I use a compact system camera because it is light, discrete, capable and more fun to shoot with than a DSLR. I use it to shoot the non-sporting action at events and my clients are happy with the shots. I use it for paid product photography and for stock photos, and had never had a rejection based on IQ. I carry a body and four superb lenses in a small shoulder bag which weighs very little. Back in my DSLR only days, the same capability weighted ten kilos!

Going to sound contrary now, but the very last camera I would recommend to a beginner is a Canon 1d mark 3. It's big, heavy, complex and was plagued with focus problems from the start. He might get a good one, or he might get a dog which has not had the necessary fixes applied. I had one for 3 years and it had all the patches and it was a fine camera. But when I sold it after more than 250,000 actuations and bought a Mk 4, the improvement in focusing accuracy was staggering. Oh, and the 1d is not full frame, it's a 1.3 crop.

I go back to my original recommendation; read some reviews, then go and play with a short list in a shop.

I have tried to avoid a specific recommendation because I really don't think that is useful, but in response to the OP's question as to what is the best DSLR for his budget, I will offer up the Olympus EM-5. It's waterproof, magnesium bodied, has 5 axis image stabilization which is amazing, has a wonderful Sony sensor and produces beautiful images straight out of the camera. It's small, light and gorgeous. Use the kit lens to get you going, then indulge in some extra glass depending on your needs. Particularly noteworthy are the Olympus 75mm F1.8, the 45mm F1.8 and the Summilux F1.4.

Disclaimer 1: I don't own one, but I wish I did.

Disclaimer 2: it doesn't have a mirror so it's not a DSLR....

Ok, that's my 5 satang worth. Good luck to the OP whatever he chooses.

I have noticed that the OP has not returned..........a shame because there is some good advice here.

@ FracturedRabbit....great advice from someone who has been there done that. I too am rekindling a lost passion for photography and at one time was looking at the new DSLR's until I noticed a thread about the Sony RX100......but thanks to your wise words, I am happy to stick with the Sony RX100, which I hope to purchase soon.

Cheers.

Yes, the OP has not returned and the title of this thread is "What Is The Best Dslr Camera Out There Right Now?". The moderator advises to wait until he returns and provides more details, after all maybe he has a camera like the G-11. No one knows.

For everything else (landscape, travel, street, product photography, portraits, macro, low light) I use a compact system camera because it is light, discrete, capable and more fun to shoot with than a DSLR

I know its dragging OT but what do you use for low light setup ??

I am really curious what results I might get with MFT (looking lustfully at the ODM with the Panny Summlilux f1.4) in low light use..

Edited by LivinLOS

For everything else (landscape, travel, street, product photography, portraits, macro, low light) I use a compact system camera because it is light, discrete, capable and more fun to shoot with than a DSLR

I know its dragging OT but what do you use for low light setup ??

I am really curious what results I might get with MFT (looking lustfully at the ODM with the Panny Summlilux f1.4) in low light use..

Full frame in a compact body . . .

http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/sony-cybershot-rx1.html

Hideously expensive.

Full frame in a compact body . . .

http://www.wilkinson...ershot-rx1.html

Hideously expensive.

Not sure I see the point.. I also don't see why full frame is still significant to some people as it was when it was the standard film size.. But then again I would sacrifice a body part to acquire a new Leica M.

LivinLOS is looking for a camera with a fast lens and large sensor to give smooth night time bokeh, presently the 5D with f1.2 50mm. At the same time I'm always on the look out for something that replaces bulky dslr's without sacrificing dslr capabilities.

If the RX1 was a CSC interchangeable lens camera with a viewfinder, I think it would be perfect.

I think if you're in the market for a high end camera, I'd wait a while to see if full frame CSC's become available (rumour has it Pentax are bringing one out in 2013).