Flying Back To The Us Between Christmas And Nyd - How Busy?

californiabeachboy

I am planning my annual cool weather trip to Thailand and I am thinking about staying during Christmas and returning sometime between Christmas Day and New Year's Day. I have done this route several times (San Diego - Los Angeles - Bkk and return) but never over the holidays.

Obviously returning in late December to the US will be busier, but I have read some comments that it is not too bad because most of the people that are in Asia for Christmas stay over New Year's Day, so the big crunch comes a few days after the New Year. Any thoughts on just how bad it is to travel (security lines, congested airports, etc) during the last few days of December from Bangkok back to the US, compared to November?

For info right now I am seeing about 1600 USD return on Cathay Pacific economy, which includes the feeder flight San Diego - LAX. (I can knock 100 USD off that by flying back on Christmas Day). I want to use CX because I am Marco Polo silver member get some perks.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry about the headline - how do you edit the headlines here??? US and NYD

Edited by californiabeachboy

I flew on Christmas day a few years ago. The airport was deserted.

I'd also recommend visiting a Thai market near you and getting the local Thai newspaper. I use to work with a consolidator that specialized in the Thai market. They were based in LA. I don't have their number any more, but they use to get great deals on tickets. This was 5-6 years ago.

Good luck!!!

I flew on Xmas day many years ago from BKK to Eastern Canada- Via Narita and it was empty, it was painless and actually lots of fun. Flights were 40% empty and lots of good cheer, you also can say you celebrated Xmas for 24 hours. The nice thing whether booking directly or via a consolidator should be lots of space even booking now.