Just For My Fav Op Group In Cm...where Can You Find Best Food Below 50Baht ?

LawrenceChee

I am starting this posting so that this groupie has fun posting their fav street stalls ...I have respect for those who have lives through the years...enjoy your Sunday !

I start with Lam Duan Kao Soy...30 baht noodles with good side dishes spring rolls and moo satay all in that range ...2 branches ...the one opposite the grand view hotel is grander and more decorated as it seems to be targeted at the tour groups the original stall along the river near embassy condo is more Thai style street eating

Let the mud slinging begin .....

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my vote is for Kiat Num; soi 13 Nimmenheamin. falangs dont know about this place, well i go twice a week, and only ever seen Thais and student groups. top top food quality and quantity, all dishes from 30-70bt and many are traditional dishes with a unique twist, so will not find elsewhere.

speed of service impeccable unless there are 30 students in on aparty.

In my opinion I havent found any restaurant in the city I would rather be. meals for 2 including beers rarely over 250bt unless feeling greedy.

Give it a try, and you may meet the eyecatcher!

• Like 2

For those from home and missing the sight of sheep

Head put to Hang Dong BiG C and turn right at the intersection you will see a nice restaurant serving Khao Mun Kai for 35 baht a plate and allows u to go into the paddocks and take pictures with the sheep ...the food is good the place cooling at night and the sheep a great sight

You won't miss this restaurants as it is next to the one with giant grey windmills

Head put to Hang Dong BiG C and turn right at the intersection you will see a nice restaurant serving Khao Mun Kai for 35 baht a plate and allows u to go into the paddocks and take pictures with the sheep ...the food is good the place cooling at night and the sheep a great sight

You won't miss this restaurants as it is next to the one with giant grey windmills

Coincidently I rode passed that place today, saw the pens, thought it was some sort of sheep dog trials place for kids....but I didnt see any sheep, so there must have been a bus load in earlier who had eaten them

The laad kaw dishes at Nam Mae Ping, between Nawarat Bridge and the Iron Bridge, east side of the river, all come in under 50B, my vote is for their gai neung, although the gaeng henlay is also awesome.

Agreed. We go there all the time. Nothing on the menu is more than 79 Baht and everything is very high-quality. Place is always packed with Bangkok Hi-So's here on vacation, locals, and farangs alike.

Before or after the windmills?...anyone been to the windmill place--looks nice=$$$

The laad kaw dishes at Nam Mae Ping, between Nawarat Bridge and the Iron Bridge, east side of the river, all come in under 50B, my vote is for their gai neung, although the gaeng henlay is also awesome.

Agreed. We go there all the time. Nothing on the menu is more than 79 Baht and everything is very high-quality. Place is always packed with Bangkok Hi-So's here on vacation, locals, and farangs alike.

is the name of it nam mae ping or it on the ping river---id like to check it out..

is the name of it nam mae ping or it on the ping river---id like to check it out..

http://www.nammaeping.com/ No English website.

A selection of their food for under 50B There is more, towards the back of the menu you find the 'over rice' section which has a good selection.

Alternatively, the 159B set of 5 dishes (not full size) is enough to feed two, plus rice and drinks.

Edited by naboo

Just curious, how much for the transport to go there and back, for a below 50 Baht meal? rolleyes.gif

http://www.nammaeping.com/ No English website.

A selection of their food for under 50B There is more, towards the back of the menu you find the 'over rice' section which has a good selection.

Alternatively, the 159B set of 5 dishes (not full size) is enough to feed two, plus rice and drinks.

I would say that the 159 THB set feeds more like 3, or possibly even 4 light eaters. The herbal rice at about 15 THB is very filling and very nice tasting rice. I like the hmoo tub with green naam prik myself.

Before or after the windmills?...anyone been to the windmill place--looks nice=$$$

It is before the wind mill place same side, coming from Airport Hang Dong Road.

The Wind Mill place, I think more Holland like is fair at best and over priced. Something to due with the princess I was told but didn't understand how ? Only Thai food, Limitied indoor seating, And pricy for what you get IMHO

Just curious, how much for the transport to go there and back, for a below 50 Baht meal? rolleyes.gif

From my place it is 3 km. My honda wave cost 70 stang per km so that would be just over 2 baht. in my Triton CNG it would cost about 3 baht.

So either way it is under 50 baht until I add not 1 but 2 cokes at 10 bt each (water is free) and then order a second helping becasue it is so good. So now I am to 80 Bt. + the 3 baht for fuel. but when you pay she give you free candy mint that helps off set those cost

As a Note, they open at 7:30 and close about 3 in the afternoon

Just back from a definite find. I'll do my best to describe...

On the road to Lamphun, at approx 900 meters from the Iron Bridge, on your right. 10 baht plates, of which the GF and I racked up 15 tonight (150 baht). Big eaters would rack up more than this.

Apparently well known to Thais, no signage, just your usual tables & chairs underneath a corrugated iron roof. GF says it's 24HR.

For value, and pretty good taste, it's right up there.

Living in the Maehia area (That's near the airport for those who don't know)

I eat out often.

I like the choices of the food court at Tesco better than the Big C food court

Airport plaza has not 1 but 3 food courts.

• Down stairs the ever expanding food court always something good and always packed with people
  • Upstairs by the movies when you have time to kill and are hungry before the show
  • The Entry to Tops market is the smallest but more quiet and still some good eats

one of my favorites is at the Mae Hia market food court. One shop there makes me a wonderful Cashue Chicken over rice with fresh peper and garlic. A heaping plate for a mind bogling 40 Baht. Free water here too

Edited by JeffreyMcCollum

On the road to Lamphun, at approx 900 meters from the Iron Bridge, on your right. 10 baht plates, of which the GF and I racked up 15 tonight (150 baht). Big eaters would rack up more than this.

Apparently well known to Thais, no signage, just your usual tables & chairs underneath a corrugated iron roof. GF says it's 24HR.

Just back, it's 3 a.m. !

As a note, the market just west of the Nimmenheamin intersection going twards the zoo away from town, there at teh market that caters to College student has many 10 baht and under eats. Well worth a try as well and nice views walking by but no place to sit down

Walking east from Chiang mai gate, inside road, when you get to the u-turn rd. there are two restrurants, one does the fried egg dish, never tried. Next door in a shop house is a really good restaraunt with the rice soup and various pork and vegetable dishes for less than 50 baht. me and the girlfriend can do this place for around 150 baht and that includes a big leo for 50 baht, she drinks water. Sorry do not know the name everything in Thai.

Walking east from Chiang mai gate, inside road, when you get to the u-turn rd. there are two restrurants, one does the fried egg dish, never tried. Next door in a shop house is a really good restaraunt with the rice soup and various pork and vegetable dishes for less than 50 baht. me and the girlfriend can do this place for around 150 baht and that includes a big leo for 50 baht, she drinks water. Sorry do not know the name everything in Thai.

Do you mean this rice soup shop (in the map)? http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=chiang+mai+map&hl=th&ie=UTF8&ll=18.781395,98.991011&spn=0.005455,0.006899&hnear=%E0%B8%88.%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88&gl=th&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=18.7814,98.990908&panoid=MYXh94fue2EEjus-PSshaQ&cbp=12,32.86,,0,0

Just back, it's 3 a.m. !

As a note, the market just west of the Nimmenheamin intersection going twards the zoo away from town, there at teh market that caters to College student has many 10 baht and under eats. Well worth a try as well and nice views walking by but no place to sit down

I think you talk about Ton Payom market , also at CMU, there are many food shops there, the taste is good, I think the price is between 15-20 baht (normal dish), not sure about price.

well that depends where you start from....dont forget a 30bt noodle within the moat is a long way from Hang Dong.

but to answer your question lets say 1bt/km on motorbike....really transport costs to restaurants around the city environs have to be overlooked, wouldnt you say...

For the absolute best Kao Soy in Chiang Mai go here. 40-50 baht

1) right at nakorn ping condo (on Huay Kaew across from Shell)

2) first right

3) first left

4) Kao Soy Mae Sai on your left about 50 meters

They have tender braised beef or a chicken leg.

40-50 baht, no place else can compare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dry Tom Yum Noodles 30-40 baht

For delicious Dry Tom Yum noodles (tom yum boran) go down the street until you see a small motorcycle shop on your left (about 30-40 seconds after passing the kao soy place)...and there is a noodle place next door attached to the right. Tell them mai ped (not spicy) or else you will die. Squeeze the lime.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Thai Vegetarian 20-40 baht

For Thai vegetarian food, which is actually real Thai food, but made with vegetarian meat substitutes, pass the Tom Yum noodle place and make a right at the last 3 way (T) intersection. There will be a place on your right with the traditional yellow vegetarian signs. IMO this place is the best in CNX, better than Ming Kwan, because it is actually Thai food, whereas Ming Kwan makes up their own creations. This place is more for Thai taste and authentic. Ming Kwan is more for tourist taste and leans toward Chinese.

warning: dont get the imitation red roast pork or anything else in the tray to the left corner, its the stores weakness. The mushrooms though are delicious.(looks like shredded beef)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southern Thai fried chicken (gai tod hat yai) 25-40 baht

Inside the moat coming from the North side to the west side, go around the corner and keep eyes open for a permanent cart on your left in front of electrical supply house. Very flavorful.

Edited by KRS1

IMO this place is the best in CNX, better than Ming Kwan, because it is actually Thai food, whereas Ming Kwan makes up their own creations. This place is more for Thai taste and authentic. Ming Kwan is more for tourist taste and leans toward Chinese.

I don't know about that. A lot of Thais love the place. 98% of Ming Kwan's customers are Thai and personally, I much prefer it.

Here are some more cheap vegetarian restaurants in Chiang Mai. Most (but not all) are 3 dishes and brown rice for 30 baht places. http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/searchmap.php?distance=25&list%5B%5D=vegan&list%5B%5D=vegetarian&list%5B%5D=friendly&list%5B%5D=store&address=chiang+mai&lat=&lon=&image2.x=24&image2.y=11

IMO this place is the best in CNX, better than Ming Kwan, because it is actually Thai food, whereas Ming Kwan makes up their own creations. This place is more for Thai taste and authentic. Ming Kwan is more for tourist taste and leans toward Chinese.

I don't know about that. A lot of Thais love the place. 98% of Ming Kwan's customers are Thai and personally, I much prefer it.

Here are some more cheap vegetarian restaurants in Chiang Mai. Most (but not all) are 3 dishes and brown rice for 30 baht places. http://www.happycow....=24&image2.y=11

Everytime ive been to Ming Kwan there has been atleast 25% foreigners, every time...I either ate there or at the other place every single day, twice a day. Ming Kwan gets boring because they always have the same stuff over and over again. Their food is not thai except for a few dishes.

The other place is real thai, like curry, pad krapow, gang hoah, namtok, yum kanoon, larb....so it depends on taste i suppose. They use more mock meat than Ming Kwan, Ming Kwan is more of a hardcore minimal gluten vegetarian place. Whereas the other place is all about the gluten.