Effective Cpu Cooling

kingbilly

Does anyone know anywhere in Chiang Mai that sells water or liquid coolers for CPUs? (mainly interested in LGA1155).

Currently running LGA 1156 - Core i5 - 750 overclocked to 3.9GHz. It has the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ fitted, but it still gets a bit on the hot side, and I m about to move over to a new M/B with the P8Z77 and i7 -3770K.

The room is not air conditioned, only fans - not too warm. The Coolermaster at idle with 1 "pull" fan fitted runs at about 45C Idle, 90C full load - Intel Burn Test.

I refitted the fan in "push configuration" and exactly the same temperatures.

I added an additional fan in a "push pull" configuration and under load it dropped by a massive 1C to 89C!

The case has a 120 mm vent fan on the top, another 120mm on the rear as an exhaust and another 120mm on the front as an intake - nothing makes much difference. I pulled the side panel off and stuck a 240V 400mm Hatari desk fan directly over the CPU Cooler and even that set on full power only dropped the load temperatures down by 5C to about 84C!

I think the next step is to look at liquid cooling as the 3770K runs a lot hotter when overclocked.

Has anyone any experience here with liquid cooling and can give me any advice on make / model etc. and where to buy in Chiang Mai if possible - any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Try reseting the cooler. Especially check the amount of thermal interface material; if it's a pad clean it off and put a good high quality paste or if a paste is on there make sure you don't have too much. The material should just be enough to fill in any voids between the die and the cooler base.

• Like 1

Try reseting the cooler. Especially check the amount of thermal interface material; if it's a pad clean it off and put a good high quality paste or if a paste is on there make sure you don't have too much. The material should just be enough to fill in any voids between the die and the cooler base.

It has been out twice before already, never got much cooler than this.

What I did find though was that by putting a strip of adhesive tape around the edge of the fan and onto the fins of the heat exchanger, it makes a better seal and forces the air to be drawn through the fins rather than from anywhere around them - it is still only a couple of degrees though.

Mine came from InvadeIT....good service....english spoken they are a sponser. I was very happy with the water cooled system I got from them.

I have used Invadeit a lot in the past, however, they are not as good as they used to be - I have been after an upgrade for a few months now - each time I contact them with a list of things I need they for some reason NEVER have the RAM that they keep advertising! It is really annoying as they keep it advertised on their site yet when you place the order, the same old story - no RAM - if you haven't got the product, and you are not going to have the product over the course of a few months, take it off the site - it only pisses customers off!

Mine came from InvadeIT....good service....english spoken they are a sponser. I was very happy with the water cooled system I got from them.

I have used Invadeit a lot in the past, however, they are not as good as they used to be - I have been after an upgrade for a few months now - each time I contact them with a list of things I need they for some reason NEVER have the RAM that they keep advertising! It is really annoying as they keep it advertised on their site yet when you place the order, the same old story - no RAM - if you haven't got the product, and you are not going to have the product over the course of a few months, take it off the site - it only pisses customers off!

I saw on the website they are branching into fridges and irons now......bad sign...it usually signifies turning into a box store.

TEC cooling units are better than liquid cooling ......... a thermal electric chip is an actuall cooling unit that not only cools the processor but blows cold air inside the box. Both get the job done but a TEC unit will allow for more overclocking. It's the difference between actual cold air and just dissapating the heat. Even if I wanted to use liquid on the rest of the system I would still use the TEC on the processor. It's also a lot easier to install. NASA uses it for a reason. :)

I have dual Corsair H60 liquid cooler units for my EVGA SR-2 with 2 x Xeon E5645 CPUs (1366 socket). Working very fine, now testing o/c of the 2.46 GHz with target of 3.8. The radiator of the H80 is much thicker and would be poor fit on my system; the H100 has dual fans and could not even begin to consider it for my system; neither is needed because the H60 is very adequate.

For the Cooler Master 212+, I found this interesting article on thermal compound application: http://benchmarkrevi...=1&limitstart=5

I find his reasoning to be sound. The first application method -- the "pea" method -- which is one of the more commonly recommended methods, barely made coverage for the two outer copper heatsink tubes .I have a CM212+ and if I ever need to re-install it, I will experiment like he did in the article.

I saw on the website they are branching into fridges and irons now......bad sign...it usually signifies turning into a box store.

Nah, surely not! Fridges and Irons??? I hope they don't start flogging noodles! I ended up going to Goodspeed as recommended earlier, I have used them before and they are usually OK, and I picked up what looks like a nice little compact cooler - it is the Intel RTS2011LC, a bit of a tight squeeze to get it into the Coolermaster HAF 912 Case due to the huge exhaust fan on the top of the case - but with a bit of dismantling and replacing fan position and radiator it looks quite good - just waiting for the MB and Processor to turn up so I can put it to the test.

Interestingly, I was reading some threads earlier regarding the i7 3770K where people are delidding the CPU and cleaning off the gunk Intel are using instead of solder and some are managing a 20C decrease in temps........rather you than me though!

I also picked up some RAM while I was there - it was just too tempting not to. As I said before, I was getting nowhere trying to buy RAM from Invadeit.

Anyway, I ended up buying 4 sticks of G Skill Ripjaws - 32GB, in for a penny in for a pound so to speak. Well this had "BUY ME" written all over it - I just hope it works with the new MB - anyone know for sure as ASUS state 32GB max in 4 slots, but if you look at their approved vendor listing for the P8Z77 de luxe MB, there is not one single vendor qualified at 32GB - the nearest is something like 24GB with 3 sticks! and the manual they supply doesn't even reccommend a 3 stick line up - guess I will have to try it and see.

Anyway the RAM is F3-1600C9S-8GXM if that means much to the initiated? runs at 1.5V instead of my current 1.65 Kingston.

Edited by kingbilly

I told them that years ago, paid no attention. TIT. Kinda like going to a Thai restaurant--half the dishes listed on the menu aren't actually available.

Still, InvadeIT has its good points when you're able to take advantage of them.

Just rise it up to 4.7 MHz seems fine so fair the last 24 hours also my room is kind of big and have the aircon unit blowing right in front of it ... But when i use to have my system in the other room what is smaller then this room my temps were awful just so you know ..

2rhvgg6.png

TEC cooling units are better than liquid cooling ......... a thermal electric chip is an actuall cooling unit that not only cools the processor but blows cold air inside the box. Both get the job done but a TEC unit will allow for more overclocking. It's the difference between actual cold air and just dissapating the heat. Even if I wanted to use liquid on the rest of the system I would still use the TEC on the processor. It's also a lot easier to install. NASA uses it for a reason. smile.png

They are old hat,TEC cooling was ok for the old P4s and alike but there is noway they can take the200+watts of heat these new CPUs through out at full load.

I have seen ppl play with TECs on there SBs and 980s and they have to use chilled water just to keep the TEC cool.

I use Phase change atm on my games rig. Will hold 300watts of heat @-47c @4.8ghz.

A guy in Slovenia built mine very good system runs 24/7 Cost about 25k inc shipping. Yes its alot but it will last for 5 years if not more.

You can find builders in the overclocking forums.

Edited by Kiggs

I really liked the post about checking the conductor between the cpu and the heat sink. That was my first instinct. Clean it and use a good paste.

My second is to be sure that all fans are exhausting from the case and away from the cpu. I once bought a new power supply with the fans turned around exhausting into the case. This not only put heat into the case but created a lot of turbulence. Yes, it had two fans.

I'd look and think. Are all of the case, ps and cpu fans blowing in a clear direction and pulling away from the cpu? Is anything obstructing flow from the cpu?

I honestly have never needed anything beyond factory fans and heat sinks, and case fans but YMMV. Oh, I once did instal an extra 4" fan by screwing it to the case just above the MB and pointing right down at the cpu/sink. That fixed it.

Good luck.

I really liked the post about checking the conductor between the cpu and the heat sink. That was my first instinct. Clean it and use a good paste.

My second is to be sure that all fans are exhausting from the case and away from the cpu. I once bought a new power supply with the fans turned around exhausting into the case. This not only put heat into the case but created a lot of turbulence. Yes, it had two fans.

I'd look and think. Are all of the case, ps and cpu fans blowing in a clear direction and pulling away from the cpu? Is anything obstructing flow from the cpu?

I honestly have never needed anything beyond factory fans and heat sinks, and case fans but YMMV. Oh, I once did instal an extra 4" fan by screwing it to the case just above the MB and pointing right down at the cpu/sink. That fixed it.

Good luck.

Personally i don't use a case what i do is just take the motherboard out of it's box then put the box on it's side put the motherboard on it also have a few fans where needed to be for where it gets warm and jobs a good one also only use around 2 fans one for where the memory is on the asus crosshair v formula is that pretty much keeps the whole board cool and one for the hard drive and that's about it ..