Crooked Pattaya Jetski Operators To Be Beached

Rimmer

Crooked Jetski Operators to be beached

ski.jpg

PATTAYA:--Provincial Governor and City Mayor look to protect Pattaya Tourists

Monday saw a large meeting of all concerned in local tourism as the Governor of Chonburi Province, alongside our own City mayor and representatives of the Tourist Authority of Thailand, headed a meeting to promote and protect tourism in the city.

Pattaya’s Mayor has sworn to create a city that people want to return to and a tourist destination second to none, and nothing is going to stand between him and that goal. Especially not a few itinerant jetski rogue renters and tourist scammers. Pattaya City hall is determined to stamp out any corruption that affects visitors and create a resort that people look forward to returning to.

In addition to the Jetski problem, the agenda included ways to approach and solve the problems of safety, security and confidence for visitors and improve the city facilities.

It was made clear that the rogue jetski operators were now a problem at national level, after international TV coverage and complaints from various foreign embassies in the capital. Without a serious effort to introduce control and management all Beach vendors, the damage to tourism is incalculable.

Full story:http://www.pattaya10...-to-be-beached/

--pattaya103.com 2012-09-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Like 2

always meetings in rooms far away from the scene of the crime, I doubt the scammers even know this is happening and even if they did it doesnt effect them. the problem is on the beach and until someone actually goes down there and does something this is all fantasy. how much do these people get paid to attend endless meetings where they always say the same thing but never pass the message on to the police or scammers? its not even newsworthy its so regular and predictable

WOW! This stirring news comes on the heels of Pattaya Today's Sept 16 front page

report that there has been little progress to solve the jet ski problem that is detracting

from Pattaya's otherwise pristine image. Just goes to show--you never can tell. The

Chonburi governor held a meeting a month ago and they are so intent on ending the

criminal activities that they already had another meeting. Rumor has it that the powers

that be are looking forward to another meeting next month. Little progress my foot!

Just a week ago we had news that a Lt.Col. in the police force says he knew about the problem, he knew who two of the extortionist gangs, but he didn't want to act too soon to do anything about it. Now this news.

What we'd like to see is prosecutions of any and all who have extorted in the past, and triple damages paid to those who were ripped off. That would entail some detective work - perhaps some motivated farang could do it, but no Thais could. Combine all the video, photo data that can be found, and track down as many vicitims as can be identified (It's likely that dozens, if not hundreds have filed complaints about this over the past several years). Triple damages and 1 year jail time, that will get the extortionists' attention. After that, ban jetski rentals altogether. That's what some other Thai beach resorts sensibly did.

The most the Thai authorities will do is issue warnings, and let all past transgressions slip under the bridge.

• Like 1

From the article:

"Specific jet ski locations were suggested along with the already planned idea of central ticket offices along the beach which would become the liaison between tourist and operator, ensuring that all rentals include insurance and that rogue operators be closed down."

Anyone smell a chance to change which pockets the sweaty tourist money goes into?

Call me over optimistic, but it could work.

Another meetingcoffee1.gif

Jetski Operators.... why dont we help them catch them.

1. How many operators, do they have a license. This will help them to be processed.

2.Who are those who work for them - paying tax? this will eliminate underaged rowdys who get away with the police taking no action.

3. Who are these owners - Name them! In this way those being protected by the big boys for their scams will also see themselves in the right picture.

Best Solution:

Locals seem unable to control the scam. Cease all Locally operated Jetski agencies. Give it to professional people who have their own repair shops and training in this. Let foreigners run this efficiently to meet the needs of their own people. Not put them in harms way and spoil their holiday. It seems really a problem in Pattaya.

Name and Shame: The expat community should begin filming and providing material to the tourist police who would catalogue and help tourist agencies avoid.

Is this too hard or is someone feeling a bit pinched..... Pity that those who are involved never can read english and if they do they pretend they dont understand....

Take it for what its worth - avoid using jetskies... you only get ripped off.

• Like 1

I haven't been to Pattay for a while, but if its anything like what I saw last time I was in Phuket, then the tourist numbers are probably down, and if numbers are down so is revenue generated by tourists, and perhaps the drop in visitors has finally propmted the local authorities into action, and I hope they do take some concrete action and not just a quick dose of action for the cameras before going back to siesta time.

May I suggest that we bury this hackneyed subject for a while, and review here the actual progress in 3 months - say on 18 December 2012, and again on 18 March 2013? Otherwise we are just wasting our time here, repeating the same old comments. And If something does in fact 'happen' it will not mean the problem is solved, probably just gone underground for a while, whilst the authorities smugly claim victory.

This, after all, is Thailand - and at the end of the day, despite all the warnings, Consular advice, and the bad publicity all over the internet (and YouTube) the international press, tour operator hand outs, hotel information and notice boards, plus the proliferation of published travel guides, - if people still insist on renting jetskis (and going to jewellery shops with 'friendly' strangers they meet on the street) then....

....they really only have themselves to blame.

• Like 2

Phuket and Pattaya are two places i recommend not going to because of the corruption. Ditto the posts above about all talk no action, the police are not going to refuse their tea money. there is a sucker born every minute, and as long as people keep going there nothing will change

Aloha. One thing other then the scamming, that we will never understand is, the past 11 years, The Pollution Solution Group has been removing some of the dangers that are on Jomtien Beach and close to shore, such as plastic bags of all sizes, broken parts of swim buoys, thousands of toxic cigarette butts, tangled up pieces of fishing nets, rope, bamboo poles full of razor sharp, barnacles, rice bags, bottles of all kinds, some broken, disposable lighters, bar-b-q-sticks. camera batteries, fishing line with hooks, jet-ski spark-plugs and their empty oil containers, diapers and condoms.

We find most, not all of the people, that rent the jet-skis sit around with all this trash between them and the jet-skis, leaving it for children to play in, for the tide to take it back into the ocean, while most, not all, are sleeping, reading a book smoking, leaving their butts where a child could pick it up and ingest, or flicking them into the ocean for our seafood to eat..

We don't understand how they can make a living from the ocean and trash it at the same time also not caring, how their area looks in order to attract customers, we keep trying yo understand Thai customs, but this one baffles us, we were raised to never shit where we eat.

I don't fully understand it either, but it's a start to acknowledge that they're Thai. Thais don't tolerate trash in some circumstances, like in their homes or a temple or a royal place. But in a natural setting, like parks or beaches, it's no big deal to them. Perhaps they think like the Mexicans, who throw trash out of moving cars, thinking "por la madre" (for the mother) ...meaning 'mother nature' will deal with it. That sort of primitive attitude works ok if you're just eating off banana leaves. Thais and Mexicans and others who toss trash in natrual settings need to wake up to the realities of styrofoam and plastic and other pollutants. Incidentally: fishermen are probably the #1 polluters. They throw ALL garbage overboard - the worst being spent nets, because it kills every sort of marine fauna.

I haven't been to Pattay for a while, but if its anything like what I saw last time I was in Phuket, then the tourist numbers are probably down, and if numbers are down so is revenue generated by tourists, and perhaps the drop in visitors has finally propmted the local authorities into action, and I hope they do take some concrete action and not just a quick dose of action for the cameras before going back to siesta time.

Pattaya is nothing like you saw in Phuket. I have not been to Phuket in a while but from what I saw in Pattaya and Pattaya was jammed with tourists it must not be like Phuket.

Yawn! I rented for ten years with no problem then the scam got me!

Now I never rent and the amount I save outweighs the amount they ripped me off tenfold!

Without those prats I would have continued renting; now I will never rent again thanks to what happened. But like everything with these people they are only interested in short term gain.

I hope they fix it for future tourists.

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

motorcycle operators are no better. Especially in Pattaya. its a Tourist beware place, but I am there often coming there from Buriram for a few days of sun on the beach. I always travel the 6 hours on the road with 500 baht in 100 baht bills so I have 200-300 to "pay off" the cops on the way who pull me over for road checks. Its the cost of doing business. At least they won't shoot me, just delay me. Its the saddest part of thailand.

Aloha

One thing other then the scamming, that we will never understand is, the past 11 years, The Pollution Solution Group has been removing some of the dangers that are on Jomtien Beach and close to shore, such as plastic bags of all sizes, broken parts of swim buoys, thousands of toxic cigarette butts, tangled up pieces of fishing nets, rope, bamboo poles full of razor sharp, barnacles, rice bags, bottles of all kinds, some broken, disposable lighters, bar-b-q-sticks. camera batteries, fishing line with hooks, jet-ski spark-plugs and their empty oil containers, diapers and condoms.

We find most, not all of the people, that rent the jet-skis sit around with all this trash between them and the jet-skis, leaving it for children to play in, for the tide to take it back into the ocean, while most, not all, are sleeping, reading a book smoking, leaving their butts where a child could pick it up and ingest, or flicking them into the ocean for our seafood to eat..

We don't understand how they can make a living from the ocean and trash it at the same time also not caring, how their area looks in order to attract customers, we keep trying yo understand Thai customs, but this one baffles us, we were raised to never shit where we eat.

Don't get us wrong there are a few that keep their area clean and safe for children, they seem to get more business, most, are lazy, hungover uncaring guys looking for an easy baht, we can see why they don't get much business.

We hope Pattaya City Hall sets some beach rules, if their going to make a living, off the beach and ocean (TAKE CARE OF IT)

Sorry forgot, a whole bunch of Styrofoam