Phangan Paragliders Created Uproar By Vandalizing Tree.

Internet users all over Thailand demands the falangs to be arrested.

Apparently it has been done to create a para-gliding business on Phangan.

Authorities are now looking into if it's on private land or in a national park.

The pictures where posted on Pantip.com

Looking at the pictures I can spot offenses against any work permit they might have had.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/blueplanet/topic/E12655715/E12655715.html

are they breaking any laws if they own the land? .... as far as i can see they are only trimming down a tree !, what is the big deal here or am i missing something?

How can the farang own the land ?

ok re- phrase, if they lease the land, or directors of a company that own the Land..... as it appears to be a Business that they have

Anyway, in the last few months KPG is watching a great flux of farang, many different nationality, but many French, Russian, Italian and a few East Europe countries, sparkling to do something, dreaming about some business in a tropical island, yadda yadda yadda.

This one seems also a bit idiot to publish the cutting of a tree on a KPG mountain (almost of them being National Park)

Ting tong...

I am not sure about KP but on Samui, one is "supposed" to get a permit, for cutting down larger trees, I forget the minimum caliper size.... even on land that is private.

Posting pictures of the cutting on a web page is probably not a good idea! and who done it too! whistling.gif

Although it is not conclusive that the whole tree was cut down...

Open and shut case if permit needed and "no have"... The authorities will not need Sherlock on this one! !biggrin.png

I am not sure about KP but on Samui, one is "supposed" to get a permit, for cutting down larger trees, I forget the minimum caliper size.... even on land that is private.

Posting pictures of the cutting on a web page is probably not a good idea! and who done it too! whistling.gif

Open and shut case if permit needed and "no have"... The authorities will not need Sherlock on this one! !biggrin.png

You don't need a permit on Samui there are no tree's worth saving, been all cut down by the samuians even the monk's from up the road about 10 years ago wanted our big tree to use at the temple gate had to say so sorry not from my wife's land.

You don't need a permit on Samui there are no tree's worth saving, been all cut down by the samuians even the monk's from up the road about 10 years ago wanted our big tree to use at the temple gate had to say so sorry not from my wife's land.

Sorry John1 ... that is not true, you do need a permit, my landlord has a large tree on his property which could fall with the next flood on to a house he owns and is rented out... he's mentioned several times he has to get a permit... he's not got around to it yet.. I suspect the tree will fall first.....whistling.gif

The permit office is in Nathon....next to the Police station, I have heard that from others too...

You need to get out more, there are many trees on Samui, that are worth saving....wink.png

wai.gif

Unlikely they own it. Foreigners cannot own land and large parts of Phangan are national forest.

if it is forest Land, then i can see why the uproar ....

Showed DH the link and it looks like the sunrise side overlooking Hadrin, pretty sure that far up it is National forest land.

And note, this is not on Samui but Phangan which still has alot of forest left and many massive old trees that are valued. I recall about 20 years ago English guy acquired some land on the east side on one of the (then isolated) bays, cut down a massive old tree there much to the dismay of people. Business failed to even get started and he was killed in a car accident shortly thereafter. Locals called it karma.

• Like 2

Sorry John1 ... that is not true, you do need a permit, my landlord has a large tree on his property which could fall with the next flood on to a house he owns and is rented out... he's mentioned several times he has to get a permit... he's not got around to it yet.. I suspect the tree will fall first.....whistling.gif

The permit office is in Nathon....next to the Police station, I have heard that from others too...

You need to get out more, there are many trees on Samui, that are worth saving....wink.png

wai.gif

I know a permit is needed to cut big tree's down but it's just a formality somebullshit it will fall on a house or other excuse and it can be cut. I get around a lot and have seen much all over the island and just trying to say in reality there is very little left. Even up in the mountains still cutting if you look from Maenam side you will see the bulldozing they did a few months back up near the top it's above the golf course left side.

Whilst i agree that it is totally wrong to have cut this tree down i find it strange that locals can be in such uproar about this yet are perfectly happy to leave their once paradise island strewn with garbage because many just cant be bothered to put it in a bin. Just seems rather hypocritical.

• Like 2

According to Samui Cable TV news yesterday night, the picture has been taken 5 years ago?! They were saying that the people in the picture are not in Thailand anymore.

The pictures are dated 15th September 2555.

I think the irony here is every time we have tried to have a tree topped on our property for view, we have to be on hand to oversee ot, because the locals will simply butcher it killing the tree.

Similarly, when we built, we had to be on hand to make sure only the trees in thee foorprint of the house were affected, and made sure the house was sited to limit that number yet further. The contractors wanted to bring a backhoe in to knock ALL trees on the property down. We forbade a backhoe on site altogether and now the house is surrounded by the natural vegetation that was always there.

There is no small amount of hypocrisy in this outpouring of outrage.

Edited by tinfoilhat