The Villa - Half The Food At Triple The Price

TheShockMaster

So we are back to quoting goods in Thailand in foreign currency. All I can say is, why? Just list the price in THB if the goods are for sale in Thailand and we don't need the daily rate vs some other currency to discuss it. As it stands now I don't know if you are talking about a 1.6 Million thb car or 917,000thb? Or that up to the buyer how much they want to pay? Or has the vehicle all of a sudden been devalued by 683,000 thb since the euro is worth less now?

I made an error. Please read my edit to post #149 above. You can order one today for 1.6 million baht. They have 2 other 2012 models for sale at 4.2 and 4.3 million baht if you have the savings.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if the price was mentioned in euros, baht or pounds etc, its all relevant. When I go shopping here I always convert in my head the prices into pounds. My bank is in pounds, my wages are in pounds just because I spend in baht doesnt mean I have to think that way, it makes zero difference its the same amount in any currency some people just like to use the currency that they have used for most of their life!

Mine was around £24,000 in the UK and there are many ways to get luxury cars over here without paying the huge taxes.

Who cares if the price was mentioned in euros, baht or pounds etc, its all relevant. When I go shopping here I always convert in my head the prices into pounds. My bank is in pounds, my wages are in pounds just because I spend in baht doesnt mean I have to think that way, it makes zero difference its the same amount in any currency some people just like to use the currency that they have used for most of their life!

Mine was around £24,000 in the UK and there are many ways to get luxury cars over here without paying the huge taxes.

The difference should be quite obvious. The sticker prices here are in THB. They don't go through the store and car lot and change all the prices when the exchange rate to your home country changes. So when you go quoting in another currency for stuff bought/sold in Thailand then you also need to give the reference exchange rate for that day for us all to be on the same page.

What you use in your head is up to you. What you post here when discussing prices should be in THB to cut down on confusion or if you have to list the prices in a foreign currency cause you brain just can't handle quoting THB then at the very least list the exchange rate you used to get that figure. If not, the figures are completely useless once the rate has changed and anyone reading the thread at a later date will not be able to understand your point based on listing in a foreign currency that has changed vs the THB.

In fact, through Tropo's errors I think he has just proved that point for me.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 2

The difference should be quite obvious. The sticker prices here are in THB. They don't go through the store and car lot and change all the prices when the exchange rate to your home country changes. So when you go quoting in another currency for stuff bought/sold in Thailand then you also need to give the reference exchange rate for that day for us all to be on the same page.

What you use in your head is up to you. What you post here when discussing prices should be in THB to cut down on confusion or if you have to list the prices in a foreign currency cause you brain just can't handle quoting THB then at the very least list the exchange rate you used to get that figure. If not, the figures are completely useless once the rate has changed and anyone reading the thread at a later date will not be able to understand your point based on listing in a foreign currency that has changed vs the THB.

Some good points. I often have to purchase goods using AUD/USD online. The currency pair bounces along like crazy... a 10% fluctuation in a month has been commonplace.

Edited by tropo

Many items in Villa are insanely expensive, usually 2x - 5x what they would cost in my home country. But it's screw falang season 365 days a year in Thailand, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Since when was the Villa Market only for Farang? I'm pretty sure they have a solid Thai customer base (I'm talking about the chain, not just Pattaya that doesn't have many customers at all).

Most foreigners only buy what they can afford anyway. Nobody is screwing anyone because nobody has a gun to their heads forcing them to buy.

Having said that, I don't believe anything is 5x what you pay at home. Even 2x, 3x or 4x is a stretch. Examples please - same product in your currency and price at Villa.

I think you just felt like having a bash at Thais.

Edited by tropo

Many items in Villa are insanely expensive, usually 2x - 5x what they would cost in my home country. But it's screw falang season 365 days a year in Thailand, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Actually, that's pretty dumb comparing the price of an item to its price at its place of origin. Let's be fair about this - go into a speciality store in your home country and pick out an item imported from half way around the world and compare price of same imported item in your country to item in Villa. Exclude taxes from both countries for importing said item (17% in Thailand) to verify shop mark-up.

• Like 1

Actually, that's pretty dumb comparing the price of an item to its price at its place of origin. Let's be fair about this - go into a speciality store in your home country and pick out an item imported from half way around the world and compare price of same imported item in your country to item in Villa. Exclude taxes from both countries for importing said item (17% in Thailand) to verify shop mark-up.

Ok then what about a tin of Brook tomatoes? Don't know where Brook come from maybe an import maybe local but I walked into a virtually empty Villa yesterday at around 4.30pm (Big C Extra and Foodland were packed at the same time) and saw them selling at 52 Baht a can when every other Supermarket in town can manage to charge around 30 Baht. Seems to me that Villa are trying to price themselves out of the market.

No they should not be in THB it should be in the currency the poster wishes to post it, who are you the currency exchange police, get a life. Anyone reading a thread at a later date would know that prices change, someone reading the thread and seen that the Merc was 1,750,000 baht could a few months down the line be thinking its that price after reading it here but now its infact 2,100,000 baht. It doesnt matter what currency you post in, exchange rates change, prices change, the world changes, move with it!

I dont think anyone is getting prices in THB for items here in thailand and then converting them to another currency, it was listed on the website and he simply typed in what it was. If that website was displaying items in euros which he thought they were whats the problem, why should he have to go an convert them? He then seen he made a mistake and once again he posted the price as listed on the website so I dont understand why your getting your nickers in such a twist.

Some items have to be more expensive as the import process I am guessing is different for every food item.

For example shipping over a tin of campbells tomato soup requires no sepcial attention what so ever. However shipping over fresh fruits, veg and the like I am guessing needs more care, temp controlled rooms and quicker shipping these costs would need to be added onto the price of the item.

Ok then what about a tin of Brook tomatoes? Don't know where Brook come from maybe an import maybe local but I walked into a virtually empty Villa yesterday at around 4.30pm (Big C Extra and Foodland were packed at the same time) and saw them selling at 52 Baht a can when every other Supermarket in town can manage to charge around 30 Baht. Seems to me that Villa are trying to price themselves out of the market.

then why is every villa i have visited in bangkok doing booming trade?

• Like 1

No they should not be in THB it should be in the currency the poster wishes to post it, who are you the currency exchange police, get a life. Anyone reading a thread at a later date would know that prices change, someone reading the thread and seen that the Merc was 1,750,000 baht could a few months down the line be thinking its that price after reading it here but now its infact 2,100,000 baht. It doesnt matter what currency you post in, exchange rates change, prices change, the world changes, move with it!

I dont think anyone is getting prices in THB for items here in thailand and then converting them to another currency, it was listed on the website and he simply typed in what it was. If that website was displaying items in euros which he thought they were whats the problem, why should he have to go an convert them? He then seen he made a mistake and once again he posted the price as listed on the website so I dont understand why your getting your nickers in such a twist.

This could could on back and forth forever.. The price on the website was listed by the seller in THB. As is common with many websites, they detect your location and auto convert the price at the current rate and display in any other currency.

Listen.. you are more than welcome to quote in any currency.

Personally, I calculate everything in grams of gold since we all know that gold is not printed to infinity like the fiat currency you hold in your pocket. It's the bar I set everything else by to determine if other things are actually getting more expensive or not. So you are free to post Euro, pounds, or South African Rands but understand that if your trying to bring others into your discussion about prices in Thailand then the obvious choice is to discuss in THB.

• Like 1

No idea about Bangkok but if you ever visit Pattaya have a look in and see the lack of customers for yourself.

No idea about Bangkok but if you ever visit Pattaya have a look in and see the lack of customers for yourself.

Location of the shop is probably the main reason for that. It's not a place expats would typically drive to for shopping like Foodland, Tesco etc. It relies more on local tourists and expats in the general area.

Edited by tropo

Location of the shop is probably the main reason for that. It's not a place expats would typically drive to for shopping like Foodland, Tesco etc. It relies more on local tourists and expats in the general area.

Very true. Only went there myself because Foodland and Big C Extra had let me down on a couple of items I regularly buy.

Pattaya is one of 18 branches, it hardly rates in the grand scheme of things.

Wrong. Villa Market has 17 food stores, and one very successful morgue in Pattaya.

Wrong. Villa Market has 17 food stores, and one very successful morgue in Pattaya.

We have a mystery then....

Please suggest a reason why they're still open after exactly 5 years (since October 2007)? If they are losing money why are they still there?

We have a mystery then....

Please suggest a reason why they're still open after exactly 5 years (since October 2007)? If they are losing money why are they still there?

That's a tricky question Tropo.

One could also ask why are all those Top Charoen optical shops still open, and even more opening , while they are visible empty of customers every day for years in row.There is even one in front of Villa.

Edited by jbrain

One could also ask why are all those Top Charoen optical shops still open, and even more opening , while they are visible empty of customers every day for years in row.There is even one in front of Villa.

It's not the same. You're talking about some hole-in-the-wall optical shops with a couple of staff compared to a huge supermarket with millions of baht worth of perishable goods, many staff, huge rent and electric bills.

If they are a lost cause as many on here suggest, I really would like to know they they've managed to stay open for 5 years. They seemed quiet 5 years ago when they first opened too as they do now. I've never seen a crowd in there.

It's not the same. You're talking about some hole-in-the-wall optical shops with a couple of staff compared to a huge supermarket with millions of baht worth of perishable goods, many staff, huge rent and electric bills.

If they are a lost cause as many on here suggest, I really would like to know they they've managed to stay open for 5 years. They seemed quiet 5 years ago when they first opened too as they do now. I've never seen a crowd in there.

Just to give you a thought.

Cawow opened before Villa in the Avenue, and regardless of the fact that most if not all of their branches were loss making, they managed to stay open till a few months ago.

In the case of Villa, if I can believe the comments about the Bangkok branches, it might be 1 or 2 loss making branches out of a total of 18.

In the case of Villa, if I can believe the comments about the Bangkok branches, it might be 1 or 2 loss making branches out of a total of 18.

It's hard to believe they'd keep a branch open which has been losing money for 5 years? You wouldn't consider that they aren't making a loss?

It's hard to believe they'd keep a branch open which has been losing money for 5 years? You wouldn't consider that they aren't making a loss?

They probably have a long term lease on that spot in The Avenue and they have to weigh the benefit of just closing the doors and still paying rent or leave them open and barely survive.

So i just did my weekly shop and paid closer attention to prices at villa and foodland.

Off the top of my head

apples bag of 10

villa 79

foodland 72

kettle jalapeno chips

foodland 48

villa 38

Chicken don't remember exactly at villa but 2 large skinless breasts at Villa around 90 thb

4 at foodland 82

Sour cream (the cheapest available)

villa 18

foodland 37

strawberries

villa 99 pr small box

foodland 139

avocados

villa 49 cents per piece

foodland 59 cents per piece

the thing is, i cant complete my shopping without both hitting both.

Villa has many items foodland doesn't.

sliced pork loin for sandwiches

200 grams villa about 150

foodland 90

Vegetables (and most items) at villa need to be carefully selected, and there are many impulse items there that can blow you over the the top budget wise but it is a great option to have.

I will take it over big c any day

• Like 1

Chicken don't remember exactly at villa but 2 large skinless breasts at Villa around 90 thb

4 at foodland 82

It's very hard to beat Foodland for chicken. I often get skinless chicken breast (the sliced type) for 82 baht/kg.

4 at foodland 82

It's very hard to beat Foodland for chicken. I often get skinless chicken breast (the sliced type) for 82 baht/kg.

That's a good deal on chicken.

Does Foodland beat Villas meat I wonder?

4 at foodland 82

That's a good deal on chicken.

Does Foodland beat Villas meat I wonder?

at local grades, chicken/pork i would say thy are equivalent.

Beef not so much though both have a good selection, Villa has some higher end stuff.

Again, it is simply a matter of being aware of what you are buying. Especially if it is something Only villa carries.

Prices at villa also fluctuate, as an example, the BIG jar of Claussen Dill pickle spears jumped suddenly to 650 Thb from about 430 thb. This product comes in once a month or so, sells out within a week and is perishable.

Kettle chips were in the 48 baht area last month, this month they are 38.

Avocados were 89 last month for a spell, this month they are much nicer quality, but go for 49 baht