Visa China Need Booking For Hotel!

I went to Chinese embassy yesterday to get my visa. There is a sign say: basic document hotel booking and ticket.

I have the ticket but not hotel booking because I always book when I arrive, because I just know where to stay few days before!!.

My question are it that necessary to book hotel in advance?

You reply will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Yes, you must book in advance and show a receipt or evidence that the booking has been made. When I went to the Chinese Embassy in February this year, so many people were being turned away because of not having made a hotel booking. One young lady had been 5 times and there was always something not right. In my case, I had return air tickets and a hotel booking. I was able to collect the visa the same day after 3 pm. All very easy and straight forward if you have all the correct documents.

Does anyone know whether the letter of invitation they require can be from a friend of a Chinese national. Also I saw in the linked page that they require financial guarantee/proof of funds of $100 USD a day, do they enforce that? That's more than my monthly income LOL, more than required for retirement visa here. And finally, does anyone know if proof of insurance coverage from US is adequate. I am beginning to think if I want to visit China it might be easier to just find a job there... :)

China always tightens things up prior to important happenings. They tightened up prior to the Beijing Olympics and this tightening is likely to do with the change of government leadership.

However you can book hotels in China and not pay a deposit and get an official booking receipt.

Find a hotel in the city that you are visiting then google ELONG and make a booking through them. as said nothing up front and pay on check out, this means you can get proof of a hotel booking and lose nothing if you no show

@granuile, no need for funds, hotel bookings or air tickets if you can furnish a letter from a friend or another source in China who sends a letter inviting you to visit. You can even get that person to write that they will fully or partially fund your trip, even if that doesn't turn out to be the case. The letter is non-binding anyway and only used for the visa application process.

@granuile, no need for funds, hotel bookings or air tickets if you can furnish a letter from a friend or another source in China who sends a letter inviting you to visit. You can even get that person to write that they will fully or partially fund your trip, even if that doesn't turn out to be the case. The letter is non-binding anyway and only used for the visa application process.

That sounds great, I have a couple of Chinese friends who have both offered,...

Great. Make sure that they also include a copy of their ID too. By the way, where will you apply? If you are in Thailand, what is your status here? It would be good to get some recent feedback so I know if I should apply here or whether I should send my passport back home for visa processing.

Great. Make sure that they also include a copy of their ID too. By the way, where will you apply? If you are in Thailand, what is your status here? It would be good to get some recent feedback so I know if I should apply here or whether I should send my passport back home for visa processing.

This would not be before next Fall, but am starting to plan now. I hadn't considered sending my passport back to the U.S.

I'm on a non-immigrant visa here in Thailand. I've been considering visiting China for a while and next year would be opportune for me, but I will wait until after my friend visits me here around Songkran.

I do hope there will be some responses here to keep folks apprised. One reason I had not gone sooner was it seemed a bit of a headache to get visa, but seems now is harder.First-hand accounts are the best way to know...

This would not be before next Fall, but am starting to plan now. I hadn't considered sending my passport back to the U.S.

I'm on a non-immigrant visa here in Thailand. I've been considering visiting China for a while and next year would be opportune for me, but I will wait until after my friend visits me here around Songkran.

I do hope there will be some responses here to keep folks apprised. One reason I had not gone sooner was it seemed a bit of a headache to get visa, but seems now is harder.First-hand accounts are the best way to know...

Yes, of course - I agree with you about recent experiences; they will dictate how the current rules are applied. I think that by next year, it should be back to normal regarding obtaining a Chinese visa. By then, you will probably be able to apply in most overseas posts, irrespective of your status in that country, plus you won't require any further supporting documentation. This is generally the way it is except during sensitive times, like now.

In the meantime, applying in Bangkok seems to be acceptable for you, given your non-immigrant visa for Thailand. Generally Bangkok is fine even as a tourist, but not right now it seems.

I got a Chinese tourist visa in Bangkok last week. Things have changed recently so older advice may no longer be valid. Apparently, same day issuance of visas is no longer an option and you must pick-up your visa in the morning. In addition to the air tickets and hotel booking, I was asked for a copy of my bank book, a copy of my passport and a copy of my Thai permanent residence book. I'm not working but my wife needed to provide a letter from her employer. Arrive before 9am and the wait should be less than an hour or arrive later and it may take two hours.

I got a Chinese tourist visa in Bangkok last week. Things have changed recently so older advice may no longer be valid. Apparently, same day issuance of visas is no longer an option and you must pick-up your visa in the morning. In addition to the air tickets and hotel booking, I was asked for a copy of my bank book, a copy of my passport and a copy of my Thai permanent residence book. I'm not working but my wife needed to provide a letter from her employer. Arrive before 9am and the wait should be less than an hour or arrive later and it may take two hours.

Let me add that in April they wanted a formal bank statement (produced by the bank) from me. A bank book wasn't good enough nor were two platinum credit cards issued by Thai banks.They also wanted a hotel booking. I vacationed somewhere else .....

Tomtomtom

I wanted to do my Visa renewal from Portland, Oregon. But to do so I needed to be in USA.

It ws always so easy...

Day 1 sent Passport overnight delivery with return postage

Day 2 Embassy did Visa and return Mailed

Day 3 Received Pssport back Visa completed.

Here in Chiangmai at Immigration, done same day takes about 2 hrs depending on line. Actually easier then USA, of course I could have driven to Portland took the chance of getting done same day or need to stay hotel and return next day to pick-up...

But Embssy said I needed to be in country where I applied, I could not be as an example in Thailand and send passport to USA for Visa processing.

Just to save you some time and Headache.

David

Edited by davidstipek

I wanted to do my Visa renewal from Portland, Oregon. But to do so I needed to be in USA.

It ws always so easy...

Here in Chiangmai at Immigration, done same day takes about 2 hrs depending on line. Actually easier then USA, of course I could have driven to Portland took the chance of getting done same day or need to stay hotel and return next day to pick-up...

But Embssy said I needed to be in country where I applied, I could not be as an example in Thailand and send passport to USA for Visa processing.

David

David, what documents did you need?

It ws always so easy...

David

David, what documents did you need?

Okay, I found this paper from Chiang Mai Immigration:

(I will type for you here completely)

The applicant must be able to comply with ANY of the 3 requirements:

1. Proof of income or pention from any country of Origin in the amount of not less than Bath 65,000 per month certified by his/her Embassy or Consulate in Thailand, the document of proof has 3 months validity period.

2. Savings or Fixed account with Bnk in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in Bank account backdated for the first year 2 months and for the next year past for 3 months and certificate of the Bank Account Deposit together with copies of bank account records, Document proo has a 7 days validity period.

3. I the event the applicant has not met either requirement 1 or 2. Proof of having total fiances (1+2= total) of not less than Baht 800,000, plus any retirement benifits received per year added together in a savings or fixed account in any Thai Bank. ( They then noted that deposit needed to be on deposit for a minimum of 90 days)

This was the important item, the rest of the requirements can be found at Thai Immigration on line.

Hope this helps!

(I tried to scan this from their form but could not get it to paste)

This works both here and Stateside as I was in Seattle one year and Thai embassy used the above for income requirements. actually I sent passbook with passport as dates were within 1 day of last update enteries and my enter back to USA Stamp ( passbook ws needed to withdrawl funds so there would have been a line entry)

David

Edited by davidstipek

• 1 month later...

Note that the Chinese embassy in Bangkok now opens at 0900 hours and closes at 1130 hours. There is a large queue at 0900 hours so get there early!

Additional paperwork is now required for a visa application, the requirements today being:

Return ticket to China

Hotel booking or signed letter of invitation to stay with a friend plus copy of friend's ID card

Copy of passport page which shows passport details

Bank statement

Application form A [and application form B if you are a farang]

Passport photo

Passport

Obtaining a visa is now nothing as easy as it used to be: alternatives are Hong Kong and Macau where this nonsense doesn't apply.

Some members may be interested to know you can obtain a visa for china if you have a return ticket from bangkok to hong kong rather than somewhere in mainland china. All the above requirements apply.

Today the average waiting time was 2 minutes per ticket number so if for example you are No 50 its a 100 minute wait.