Cooking With Tap Water

yoslim

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boiled water is pretty safe, as all bacteria will be killed... however depending on the quality of your pipes, it might still be dirty, therefore even for cooking I only use water that comes through a (activated carbon) filter first

Yes it is safe. I even drink tap water sometimes and have never been sick from it. I use in my water heater (for coffee etc.)

I do mean city water.

thanks, it's going to save me time running to the water dispenser machine and also a few bahts thumbsup.gif

not all water comes from the same source so you cannot really ask this question generally, some are on the city water supply some condo's get water delivered in tankers for various sources so there is no general answer

As mentioned boiling water kills "most" bacteria/organisims but bacteria may not be everything you need to remove, I have a filter system attached to my tap, it has 3x main filters and UV and costs around 5k baht, bottled water costs say 100baht per week so will take a year or so to break even depending on household size

Currently I use the water machines on the street, around 1baht for 1 liter. Where can you order those 5gal bottles for 30 baht ?

Every Thai town I have ever been in there are trucks running around with the bottles. Stop the truck and they will go to where you live on a regular basis. Pay a couple of hundred baht deposit and then it is 30 baht per bottle.

Currently I use the water machines on the street, around 1baht for 1 liter. Where can you order those 5gal bottles for 30 baht ?

Hang on, let's think about this before we start throwing money around like it's going out of fashion;

Currently OP uses reverse osmosis water from street machines @ 1 Baht/Liter = 30 Baht for 30 Liters

5 (UK) Gallons = 22.7 Liters (US Gallons = 18.9) @ 30 Baht = 30 Baht for 22.7 Liters

That means taking a hit of 6.3 Baht (approx) on every 5 Gallons!!cheesy.gif These things add up!!coffee1.gif

Hang on, let's think about this before we start throwing money around like it's going out of fashion;

Currently OP uses reverse osmosis water from street machines @ 1 Baht/Liter = 30 Baht for 30 Liters

5 (UK) Gallons = 22.7 Liters (US Gallons = 18.9) @ 30 Baht = 30 Baht for 22.7 Liters

That means taking a hit of 6.3 Baht (approx) on every 5 Gallons!!cheesy.gif These things add up!!coffee1.gif

Not to mention the amount of healthy exercise one gets lugging 30kg bottles around.

We've installed the 3-filter+uv and use the water from that, was ~5.5k inclusive installation. Got two taps, one for cleaning dishes with unfiltered water and one for drinking/cooking water.

Yes it is safe. I even drink tap water sometimes and have never been sick from it. I use in my water heater (for coffee etc.)

I do mean city water.

thanks, it's going to save me time running to the water dispenser machine and also a few bahts thumbsup.gif

Your posts all seem to be troll posts. Dude if you can't go down to the water dispenser and chose to use tap water then make the trip AND you want so save "a few baht" then you really need to go home or to a Phsyc ward.

I do mean city water.

Your posts all seem to be troll posts. Dude if you can't go down to the water dispenser and chose to use tap water then make the trip AND you want so save "a few baht" then you really need to go home or to a Phsyc ward.

Why would I waste time and money filling up bottles of water when it's actually safe to cook with tap water ?

not all water comes from the same source so you cannot really ask this question generally, some are on the city water supply some condo's get water delivered in tankers for various sources so there is no general answer

As mentioned boiling water kills "most" bacteria/organisims but bacteria may not be everything you need to remove, I have a filter system attached to my tap, it has 3x main filters and UV and costs around 5k baht, bottled water costs say 100baht per week so will take a year or so to break even depending on household size

฿100 a week do you bath in it? wink.png

I always use the water dispensing machines at 1bt per litre for cooking needs.

Tap water is not clean and carries sediment.

As for the large bottles delivered for 30bt, how do you know what the source is ?

You could be surprised what's in the water from the dispenser machines.I suspect only time they change the filter is when there flows no water through anymore.

As for the large bottles delivered for 30bt, how do you know what the source is ?

You could be surprised what's in the water from the dispenser machines.I suspect only time they change the filter is when there flows no water through anymore.

They don't work in that way, when the filters need cleaning they shut down completely

until they are serviced and restarted again.

I do mean city water.

Now I'm thinking it's time he goes home. blink.png

On a related note, how many of you have hot water in the kitchen or studio for washing dishes? I usually get a faucet in the studio but it only has cold water. I have only cooked about once but I was wondering about for longer stays. Are there desktop or small hot water on demand heater units you installed?

Do you know what the source of the water coming out of those machines is? Do you know the last time the filters were changed if ever? We are talking about Thailand here where thais will get the oil changed and not bother changing the oil filter. I'd bet that until that machine stops producing water to fill a bottle then no preventative maintenance will be done to make sure the purity of the product being dispensed is as clean as it should be.

They don't work in that way, when the filters need cleaning they shut down completely

until they are serviced and restarted again.

I seriously doubt that but how do you know so much of such things?

Personally I bought a 7-stage RO filter with UV that is fitted under the sink in the kitchen. We've had it for a few years now and use that water for everything consumption related. It's honestly the best purchase I made for my family. The yearly maintenance costs on it are like 4000thb for new filters and UV bulb. The water tastes incredible all the time.

We used to get bottled water delivered but after everyone in the house got sick from it we changed to store bought bottled water and then eventually decided this was the most economical and safest way to go. No regrets.

On a related note, how many of you have hot water in the kitchen or studio for washing dishes? I usually get a faucet in the studio but it only has cold water. I have only cooked about once but I was wondering about for longer stays. Are there desktop or small hot water on demand heater units you installed?

You can get an under sink unit that will heat your tap water for the tap. Not commonly used but available. Much more commonly used to heat the shower water. The other option that is available out here is solar panels in the roof to heat water for both the shower and kitchen

The "cold" water here is 27-30 degC, not much sense in heating it up more for dishwashing.

For drinking water we have a dispenser that has both a heater and a cooler, you plug one of them big bottles on the top. Costed a few thousand and eats some electric, works great, a 20L bottle lasts 2 days in our household (7 heads).

5 gal bottles delivered for 30 baht. Why would anyone use tap water?

When I lived in Pattaya, two years ago, my local shop sold the large bottles (about 20 liters?) for about ~22 baht. The smaller ones (13 liters?) were about 16 baht. Guess prices have gone up since.

The guy (Leung) who ran store just off Khao Talo was a diamond geezer. He is one of the most trustworthy people I have ever met and was an astute businessman. He was concerned that if anything he sold didn't meet his customers' standards it would hurt his bottom line.

When the regular water company repeatedly delivered some bottles with broken plastic cap seals, he terminated their contract and employed a new supplier. The new company (River Fresh - not the best advertising slogan!) provided perfectly clean and potable water from then on. One of my neighbours was with a Western NGO and tested the water purity with a kit provided by his employer. The water was perfectly safe to drink, boiled or not.

Go with the flow...

A while ago the Thai FDA did a test on those streetside water dispensers and found 75% not up to standard, while a fair percentage even churned out unpotable bacteria infested water.

Most companies doing the 5 gallon bottles have no fda approval and just fill them with filtered tapwater.

That regular sediment filtering and maybe an old uv filter.

Very seldom an Ro filter.

On a side note, in my area (soi siam country club) the tapwater has very high levels of chlorine, so much that one can smell it. Taking a shower my bathroom sometimes smells like a public swimmingpool...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Archived