Bangkok Cabdrivers Protest Penalty For Refusing Fares

webfact

Bangkok Cabdrivers Protest Penalty For Refusing Fares

cab.jpeg

An association of Bangkok cabdrivers filed a formal complaint with the Metropolitan Police over harsh new rules aimed at cabdrivers. The new rules would fine a cabdriver 1,000 THB for refusing to take a fare. The public can also complain directly to police, who will take action.

BANGKOK – September 19, 2012 [PDN]: At the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Mr. Sadit Jaitiang, president of Taxis for Thais of Suvarnabhumi Association, representing 30 cabdrivers, came to file a complaint to Pol. Lt. Gen. Khamronwit Thupkrajang, the Commissioner of Metropolitan Police.

Mr. Sadit’s formal complaint was to protest the new penalty for taxi drivers who refuse passengers. The new rule, which took place September 1st, can fine a cabdriver 1,000 THB for refusing a fare.

In addition, the public can make their complaint directly to a police officer nearby, or by calling a special police hotline, or by using the police website. After receiving the complaint, the driver will be summoned by police for investigation and prosecution.

Previously, the public had to take their cabdriver complaints to the Department of Land Transport. The police also added 13 core measures that crack down further on cabdrivers. Mr. Sadit said taxi drivers are greatly affected by the new rules. Many taxi drivers complained to the association, so he came to the police station to file the complaint.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...refusing-fares/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2012-09-19

footer_n.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while we're at it, might as well include some penalty for the disgusting habit of cab drivers opening the driver side door to spit on the road at traffic lights or when stationary... winder what makes them want to spit so much....hmm...

• Like 2

I remember how infuriating it was trying to find a cab to get to a place a bit out of the way. Five cabs in a row just laughed when I told them the adress and drove of. Eventually had to take a motorbike cab to get there. Incidentally, as unsafe as MC cabs are they are the only transport that I've never been overcharged for and never been denied.

How is this enforced though?

Anyone could claim a taxi refused a fare - but it's your word against theirs. Who's to say some people won't cry wolf on a taxi out of spite?

it's a good thought, but assuming the cabby has done his job properly (taken you to your destination and used the meter and treated you professionally), there would be no reason for spite...thus very few "out of spite" complaints.

• Like 1

You try getting a taxi on the meter outside MBK, if you can the I'll believe it's making a difference.

Or outside any Nice hotel with the "I won't move Taxi Mafioso's for les than 300 baht" Soi 11 especially. - from my hotel window, I see taxi's placing the no parking cones across from the hotels, and paying each other to change shifts.........hotel security is also on the take...........wonder where they get the cones, "Oh, the BIB are renting them.............{:>) clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

I was in Bangkok this week and stayed at the Woraburi Hotel in soi 4 Nana my daughter and her b/f wanted to go to the Kings Palace by cab cos it was pi**ing down with rain. Every cab we asked said no about 10 of them, when i said to one you should not refuse a fare he offered me his phone to call the call centre to complain. I walked up to Sukhumvit about 1 hour later and I counted 48 taxis empty sitting around waiting for that long journey, stupid drivers! Same as anything in Thailand to complain is a total waste of time. I was the owner of a cab company in Milton Keynes, England if one of our drivers refused a fare he was logged off for 20 mins losing about a fiver or more if he keep on doing it his radio would be taken out, this was the private hire side of the business the Taxis drivers would loss their licence for keep refusing fares when reported.

Seems like the taxis don't even bother coming out to Ratchayothin since this has gone in to affect. I had to wait almost an hour to get a taxi in front of SCB park a few days ago when it was raining. All the taxis going by were already taken.

It makes more sense to just buy a car and sit in traffic. At least you're out of the rain, in the comforts of your own car and not having to bother explaining where you're going.

I fully understand why Thais will spend every baht they have to own a car. It's not just for status as some people claim.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight

The only way this is going to stick is if the authorities come down hard. I suggest in addition to the 1,000 baht fine, a second offense of 10,000 baht and for a third offense a 100,000 baht fine, plus confiscation of the taxi for 60 days.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

• Like 2

I was watching the world go by the other day at the Starbucks across from the Landmark Hotel....taxi's still refusing fares there on just about every occassion. Locals dont seem to know about the rule as they are still opening the door to ask. I just open door and get in.

• Like 1

I believe many of the taxis in Bangkok are "double-driven" meaning they are hired for a twelve hour shift. Next driver expects a clean and fully fueled taxi ready for their twelve hour shift.

This means that for the last hour the driver does not want to be far from where the taxi is to be delivered to avoid the wrath of his co-driver or an agreed penalty for late delivery.

I assume this to be a key factor of why the taxis are not prepared to accept certain fares and would rather smile than a try a lengthy explanation in a foreign language.

• Like 1

while we're at it, might as well include some penalty for the disgusting habit of cab drivers opening the driver side door to spit on the road at traffic lights or when stationary... winder what makes them want to spit so much....hmm...

Personally I would prefer that they open their door to spit rather than not open their door . . . !

• Like 1

How is this enforced though?

Anyone could claim a taxi refused a fare - but it's your word against theirs. Who's to say some people won't cry wolf on a taxi out of spite?

Use the video on your phone, have it running when you get in the cab. If he refuses to take you, the video should be prove enough. But might be a good idea to do that when you are together with others, in case he doesn´t like the idea.

Or if you want to play it safe, buy one of those mini-cameras (i.e. watches with cameras) you find at Pantip and record it that way. Comes in handy at other occasions too sometimes . . .

But whether the police will really act on it is another story and I do have my doubts there too.

Judging by the other responses, perhaps September is just my lucky month. However, the fact that every time I've tried to get a taxi over the last three weeks, the first cab displaying the ว่าง "waang" sign has stopped, used meter, and taken me to my destination. No scenic routes, no hassles. Each of these instances was close to Sukumvit Soi 11 or outside Siam Paragon.

The next time I decide to take a taxi, I'll shoot on down the BTS a station further and take the MBK challenge and report back.

• Like 2

I can understand the problem for SOME taxi drivers when they are renting their taxis and must return them to a specific location by a certain time or pay extra (as well as get crap from another waiting driver), but on far too many occasions, it's just because they don't want to go to your location, either too far, wrong direction, or too much traffic....

As far as the complaints go, I've complained twice using the old system, and actually got a confirmation call about 3 months later saying action had been taken. Exactly what action I didn't ask, but at least it proves they did follow up complaints.

For this new system, can someone post this info:-

Phone Numbers to call

EXACTLY what information they require, e.g. Drive Name on Card? Driver Number? Car Registration? etc.

Website for Reporting as mentioned in the article

IMHO it's the fact that few people make formal complaints that lets them get away with what they do. Wingeing on forums changes nothing, Using the system at least helps formalize the extent of the problem, and if nothing else, reminding the BiB of their new duties to deal with taxi complaints should be a laugh and make it much higher profile LOL.

Don't forget to take the officer's full name, and perhaps even ask for a report number for when you follow up later. :)

• Like 1

You try getting a taxi on the meter outside MBK, if you can the I'll believe it's making a difference.
Or outside any Nice hotel with the "I won't move Taxi Mafioso's for les than 300 baht" Soi 11 especially. - from my hotel window, I see taxi's placing the no parking cones across from the hotels, and paying each other to change shifts.........hotel security is also on the take...........wonder where they get the cones, "Oh, the BIB are renting them.............{:>) clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

From my experience not only hotel security is involed but the hotel in genral gets around 500 Baht per taxi a month.

Though this is a great new law, I'm extremely skeptical. I mean really, the only drive they have to always say yes is when there's police around. When it's pouring down rain and 5 cabs have turned you down, there won't be police standing around to "help" you.

Let's be honest, this is just another way for Thai police to take money from the taxi drivers. I've seen a cop take 20 baht off a taxi because he hid most of his money and only had 20 baht in the cops sight.

It's really a dog eat dog world, Woof!

Not much else to be said. All have covered it, only issue is of course, you threaten the driver of exposure and then you are his property for the duration of the cab ride. That alone can be a test of your endurance between his putting the radio up so loud to point of pain, farting, and of course the hispeed weaving and lane hopping - it may be better to sit in solitude and wait for another. Vengeance and sweet revenge is not necessarily the right path here to prove your point.

Has anyone else noticed a change since this regulation started being enforced?

I must say that I never expected this penalty to make any differences. However, every cab I've taken since the onset of this rule has not only used the meter without protest, but taken me directly to my destination without any hassle. I believe I've taken at least five since this regulation came into effect, and each time I was ready with my pen and paper to jot down the plate numbers of those who choose to refuse me or overcharge me. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but considering I've hired all these taxi meters around the same area where I've had the most problems, sometimes being refused by 10 or more drivers, I've been pleasantly surprised at the noticeable change. Hopefully this trend won't fade in the near future.

I've noticed the same too. I usually get several refusals on one particular regular journey but none since this started being enforced.

Taxis in bangkok are the sole cause of the terrible traffic conditions that plague the city and just get worse

By avoiding taxis altogether, taking subways, MRT, BTS, BRT, Airport links, motorbike taxis. or buying your own car even, plenty of cheap ones on 12car

It will eventually make Bangkok a better place - as there are just too many cab drivers coming down from Isarn.

It would also be great to stand outside MBK and ask about taxis to take you somewhere, when they refuse smile back at them, and write down the plates or snap them with your phone.

If they agree, say you changed your mind. IF enough of us do this and call in with a long list to report every week or so, i can guarantee you will see even more change

The more complaints the BIB get the more they will have to act. But if people just think - whats the point - nothing will ever change.

a better idea would be to throw up a quick website, where people can upload taxi plates and photos of those cabs that refused them, overcharged them, or blocked the front of hotels.

If there is one thing Thais hate its public humiliation and the police would have to take some form of action at least.

Edited by djlest
  • Like 2

Taxi drivers are complaining about the new penalty affecting their livelihood and this twit of a police chief makes it about him and Thaksin.

.......and to which party does a large majority of Bangkokian cab drivers support???

Its about time that they were brought to account on this - what happened about 'serving the customer'? Choosing whether to accept a fare or not is simply not acceptable in terms of providing a satisfactory service!!!

• Like 1