60% Of Bangkok Youth Admit Having Insufficient Information On Aec

webfact

60% of Bangkok youth admit having insufficient information on AEC

image_20120920173618E33FE3F9-BDA6-C08F-CA590FA174FD8BA7.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 20 - The latest Bangkok Poll by Bangkok University Research Center indicated more than 60 per cent of youth in the Thai capital admitted they have insufficient information on the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) taking effect in 2015.

The survey on 'the enthusiasm of Thai youth on AEC taking effect in 2015' was conducted among 1,116 persons aged 15-25 years.

Only 14 per cent of those surveyed said they have enough information on the matter.

However, about three-fourths of respondents believed Thailand will benefit from entering the ASEAN Economic Community.

Regarding member countries that are main competitors to Thailand, almost 40 per cent of respondents identified Singapore, followed by Vietnam and Malaysia at 21 and 11 per cent respectively.

Thailand's potential to compete in the AEC ranks in the middle range, according to the opinion of 67 per cent of those surveyed. Fourteen per cent said the country is at the top level, while 18 per cent said it ranks at the bottom.

Obstacles causing Thailand to be in a disadvantage in AEC are Thailand’s domestic political conflicts, as viewed by 29 per cent of respondents, followed by the limited English-language skills of Thais at 26 per cent, and corruption at 18 per cent.

On a related response, almost half of those surveyed at 49 per cent said they believed Thai youngsters can compete with teenagers in other ASEAN countries. Thirty-seven said they are uncertain if they will be able to compete, while 13 per cent viewed they do not think they can.

When asked how educational institutes help provide knowledge on AEC, 30 per cent said it is inserted in their curriculum. Twenty-six per cent said more English courses are offered, and 22 per cent said related-AEC activities such as exhibitions and quiz games are held.

Almost 60 per cent of the surveyed adolescents said they want the government to support English teaching for communication as preparedness before AEC takes effect, followed by curriculum improvement and more of educational opportunities for youngsters (18 per cent), as well as providing knowledge and preparedness to enter the AEC (12 per cent). (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-20

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems self evident that you can have insufficient information about something you know little about. Interesting that students see English language as the passport to ASEAN success. Legislators and education policy makers take heed!

At least the youth seem smart enough to know they are being deliberately kept 'uneducated'. Thais speak Thai, and Germans, Italian, French, Swedes, Russians et al, and most other nations speak English apart from native English speakers. The world does business in English, nowhere in the world apart from Thailand is business done in Thai. Or is it that the 'establishment' are afraid to teach a universal language and Thai's find out really what is going on in their country?

Try going to France, and see how far you get along with English. I can tell you.. Nowhere! Even in the most touristy areas, menus are only in French. Try calling customer service for the your telephone provider. "Press 9 for English".. Nope, can't do that I am afraid. The list goes on..

Thailand's potential to compete in the AEC ranks in the middle range, according to the opinion of 67 per cent of those surveyed. Fourteen per cent said the country is at the top level, while 18 per cent said it ranks at the bottom.

That equates to 18% having half a brain, 67% sitting on the fence and 14% mentally retarded

• Like 2

On a serious note there are quite a lot of young Thai's who would welcome being taught English, however unless they can afford to pay for private tuition they sadly recognize that the standard taught in public schools is simply not high enough.

It is the 'same same' old Thai circle, until the Gov recognize the need to raise the basic standard of education in the country (which would mean employing qualified foreign teachers) giving everyone the same opportunity then the education system will remain corrupt an totally inefficient.

And we all know that is not going to happen!

• Like 1

I talked to numerous young Thais. None of them has ever heard of the AEC and certainly doesn't have any information whatsoever. Some answered: new mobile phone?

Well 90% of my current MBA students (here in Thailand, English program, their spoken and written English capability is fine but 99% of the students have never been outside of Thailand), cannot answer any detailed questions about AEC, neither can most of them list the members of ASEAN, some say 'who cares', some others say 'it's all unfair to Thailand'.

Two young men in my class (one has a managerial position in a UK multinational in Thailand and was offered a development position in China but refused because not enough people speak English in the China operation - in fact I am at a loss as to how he's got this far), insist that everybody in all the ASEAN member countries should be forced to learn Thai, and especially Singaporeans.

Hence I have made their course project (in terms of the International Business semester) a total expose of AEC. Next issue - about 40% of the students have requested that I change the course project because 'it's boring'.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

I talked to numerous young Thais. None of them has ever heard of the AEC and certainly doesn't have any information whatsoever. Some answered: new mobile phone?

Well 90% of my current MBA students (here in Thailand, English program, their spoken and written English capability is fine but 99% of the students have never been outside of Thailand), cannot answer any detailed questions about AEC, neither can most of them list the members of ASEAN, some say 'who cares', some others say 'it's all unfair to Thailand'.

Two young men in my class (one has a managerial position in a UK multinational in Thailand and was offered a development position in China but refused because not enough people speak English in the China operation - in fact I am at a loss as to how he's got this far), insist that everybody in all the ASEAN member countries should be forced to learn Thai, and especially Singaporeans.

Hence I have made their course project (in terms of the International Business semester) a total expose of AEC. Next issue - about 40% of the students have requested that I change the course project because 'it's boring'.

Interesting logic, force everyone to learn thai, when they currently have about 20 distinct dialects (not accents) alive and well in Thailand.

In fact, thai~laos is probably spoken by more of the population than passa grang. Throw in a percent for the main northern and southern dialects, and passa grang must be a minority spoken language.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Does it matter at this stage what the "youth" know? I would guess that 95% of older people (that's 18+) have no information and no idea about the AEC. That would probably include non-Thais.

Right. I have a vague idea, but I can't really find any concrete facts.

At this point in time, the idea in my head is that it is some form of free trade agreement and a few different professions have the ability to work in other ASEAN countries.

It would seem that whoever wrote this article - or at least produced the photo of the flags - is just as ignorant as most of the yoof of Thailand: in 'pole position' is the flag of China - not a member of Asean, and further down the line one can just see the old flag of Burma/Myanmar which changed in Oct 2010. On a more serious note, when floods are about to hit them again, corruption is still rife, prices are rising by the week, the government has extended the farce of the rice mortgage scheme.... just as a 'starter for ten'. Why should they care about the AEC - wot dat?

• Like 1

What is three fourths? In the West that = 3/4, three quarters.

In Thailand that could equal 90% redshirts, and 10% yellows, or vice versa.

Three fourths could indicate the amount of number-plate number displayed on a car registration, or a tax certificate number on the windshield.

Three fourths could be the number of pregnant girls, from small villages, having babies from family members.

Or three fourths could be the number of dimwits in the Thai Government...... - take your pick.

So three fourths believing they will get benefits from entering ASEAN = 1/4 of those who have a slight inkling of what is going on, and three fourths of those same have no idea....... then we go to three fourths of those who think they have an idea becoming 1/16th, and then 1/32nd.

At the end of it, we get a kind of get out clause. There will be no floods!

-mel. :)

• Like 1

Does that same 60% use facebook to post pics of cats, pizzas or self portraits? If they were indeed interested they would use the internet for self research about such matters ,most youth meaning under 30 here are interested only in self glory via social media, talent shows where there is no talent or just being led like the sheep they are.The fuedal system here trickles down to the desired effect i think.

Edited by greg71
  • Like 1

I am 100% convinced the Thais will find a way to not implement the ASEAN agreements in 2015, reasoning along the line 'it would be unfair to force these agreements onto Thailand because we are not prepared well enough, which would put us at a disadvantage'. rolleyes.gif Mark my words.

They're certainly doing their best not to change the appropriate laws to cover the agreements. Even some of the agreements that should be in action now, don't have the law changes required to make them work.

At least the youth seem smart enough to know they are being deliberately kept 'uneducated'. Thais speak Thai, and Germans, Italian, French, Swedes, Russians et al, and most other nations speak English apart from native English speakers. The world does business in English, nowhere in the world apart from Thailand is business done in Thai. Or is it that the 'establishment' are afraid to teach a universal language and Thai's find out really what is going on in their country?

In all fairness the poll was taken in Bangkok.

I think the results would have been different if taken in Issan sorry about the spelling.

Truth be known it was just another poll in Thailand the hub of polls that prove what ever you want them to.

I am 100% convinced the Thais will find a way to not implement the ASEAN agreements in 2015, reasoning along the line 'it would be unfair to force these agreements onto Thailand because we are not prepared well enough, which would put us at a disadvantage'. rolleyes.gif Mark my words.

The Thai's work at two speeds, 'stop & reverse' so I guess you are right......clap2.gif