Another "where To Buy" Question

lanny

My doctor recommended a gel cushion for my chair to ease a developing bed sore. Unfortunately, the place he mentioned no longer sells them.

I am looking for a source of "egg crate" foam - a piece fairly thick and of a size to fit on a chair. I can find all sorts of places selling these - but all are in the US. Any place in Bangkok that can sell me something?

Thanks for any tips.

As this would be a medical supply believe there is an outlet in Bumrungrad that might have as they do not sell drugs so must sell items like that. Some of the larger drug stores near major government hospitals might have. Sorry can not answer better. As I recall this is not foam but a very heavy liquid/gel type material but this dates back a decade or more and was US and used for wheelchair and sitting cushion for elderly mother.

I love these questions....I even get a bit of a rush when I think I know an answer. Near to Siriraj Hospital there are quite a few medical supply shops. Get off the boat at Siriraj pier and head up the road alongside the hospital. At the junction with Arun Amarin you will find plenty of these shops. Could be a good place to look. Let us know so we have the details for future searchers.

If you still need to look for egg-crate foam then may I suggest you ask around at the computer centers as a lot of IT equipment is packed in this stuff. I would imagine that there must be a massive supplier in BKK somewhere as they would be manufacturing/supplying to Western Digital.

As this would be a medical supply believe there is an outlet in Bumrungrad that might have as they do not sell drugs so must sell items like that. Some of the larger drug stores near major government hospitals might have. Sorry can not answer better. As I recall this is not foam but a very heavy liquid/gel type material but this dates back a decade or more and was US and used for wheelchair and sitting cushion for elderly mother.

They do have them in Bumrungrad and as lopburi3 says they are gel, not foam. One of the reasons they work is because your own body weight, whenever you move, however slightly, makes the gel flow inside and it gives movement to your skin. Not exactly like a massage, it tries to imitate actual movement as if you were walking/out of chair or bed.

The one I needed a few years ago was bought there and it did cost around 1.200 Baht. More recently a friend who has been bedridden for almost 3 months now, needed to get a mattress, for the same reason, I don't know how much that did cost, but it also made him more comfortable. It isn't a miracle product and sores will eventually develop anyway, but it helps and will delay them or maybe avoid them depending on your condition.

I hope you get better.

If you are in Pattaya there is a great place on the left hand side on the North road if you're heading toward the beach. I forget the name of it, but it is huge.

As others have said, Bumrungrad has a few nice shops on the Mezzenine floor.

The name is Fascino. They do have a good orthopedic section there. I never checked it for this, but probably they have or can get it too.

I've seen this foam in stores that sell sound processing equipment and amplifiers - it's used to line recording studio walls to improve the acoustics. While it has that egg carton shape, I'm not sure if it has the same density as foam intended for seat and back support.

I've also seen it at electronic parts stores at Zeer Rangsit and Ban Moh.

They do have them in Bumrungrad and as lopburi3 says they are gel, not foam. One of the reasons they work is because your own body weight, whenever you move, however slightly, makes the gel flow inside and it gives movement to your skin. Not exactly like a massage, it tries to imitate actual movement as if you were walking/out of chair or bed.

The one I needed a few years ago was bought there and it did cost around 1.200 Baht. More recently a friend who has been bedridden for almost 3 months now, needed to get a mattress, for the same reason, I don't know how much that did cost, but it also made him more comfortable. It isn't a miracle product and sores will eventually develop anyway, but it helps and will delay them or maybe avoid them depending on your condition.

I hope you get better.

sores will not develop if you buy a good cushion.. Im in a chair after being left without the use of my legs from 20 years ago and if you buy a cheap gel cushion then yes you will get sores but not if you buy the correct one