90-Days Reporting Confusion

Hi,

I will be coming to Thailand with a Multiple Entry Visa, (Non-Immigrant based on marriage). I plan to stay here for now... Does this mean that I have to report every 90 days to some office or am I forced to make border runs every three months?

I am aware that there is a difference between Non-O visas and Extension of stay...

Thanks for your answeres!

If you are on a multiple entry visa, you must exit the country every 90 days - border run. Any one of the 90 day entries can be extended during the last 30 days of validity for 1 year and then you would only have to do 90 day reports, not leave the country. You must meet the financial requirements to be able to extend which is have at least 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for at least 2 months prior to application (a letter from the Bank is required) "or" have at least 40k baht per month income - you must get an income affidavit from your embassy in Thailand (what proof differs depending on your Embassy's requirements. The extension costs 1900 baht and must be done at the immigration office resposible for the area where you live in Thailand.

Thanks for replying johnnynmonic and wayned.

You see that's why I'm saying it's confusing: You both have different versions to this subject. And I have heard of both before, but nothing seems confirmed blink.png . Even have difficulties to find an answer on other websites...

Could maybe someone shed some light on that for me?

Many thanks...

A visa is like a bus ticket! It only allows you to enter Thailand, the length of time that you are allowed to stay is determined by the immigration officer at the entry point and is stamped into your passport.. A 1 year multiple entry Non-O visa (based on marriage) allows you to enter/reneter Thailand as many times as you want during the period that the VISA is valid. Each time you enter/reenter you should be given 90 days permission to stay. At or before the end of the 90 day period you must exit Thailand. You can do a border run and exit and reenter on the same day and get another 90 days. There is no provision for you to do 90 day reports in Thailand.

Any entry can EXTENDED for 1 year based on marriage if you meet the requirements - usually during the last 30 days of your permission to stay. This is an EXTENSION of your permission to stay, not a new VISA. If you want to exit Thailand during that 1 year period you must purchase a reentry permit to keep the validity of your 1 year permission to stay - single 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht. During that 1 year period you are required to report your address to immigration every 90 days that you are continuously in Thailand (90 day reports), but you do not have to exit the country. Iv'e been in Thailand for 15 years and haven't exited since 2004 but report my address to immigration every 90 days by submitting a TM 47 form - no charge.

So if you are married to a Thai you can do it either way, but if you are using a multiple entry visa you must do border runs, if you are using an extension of stay based on marriage you only have to do 90 day reports at you "local" immigration office.

Terminology is what's confusing. The visa is only a ticket to enter. Immigration determines how long you can stay based on the type of visa or whether you apply and qualify for a 1 year extension - marriage, retirement, etc.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 2

Does this mean that I have to report every 90 days to some office or am I forced to make border runs every three months?

Since you are married to a Thai, AND have a multiple entry, you can do it either way.

no you cannot, he must leave the country.

Thanks for explaining that to me! smile.png

wayned: You reporting since 15 years?? Uh, oh sounds like a dull procedure... saai.gif

Cheers

Dull? No!

Annoying? Possibly.

Adventurous? Depends on the additional requirements of the local immigration.

As said in another post: I has to be done, whether it's dull, annoying or adventurous.

Thanks for replying and wayned.

You see that's why I'm saying it's confusing: You both have different versions to this subject. And I have heard of both before, but nothing seems confirmed blink.png . Even have difficulties to find an answer on other websites...

Could maybe someone shed some light on that for me?

Many thanks...

johnnynmonic is wrong. You don't do 90 day reports till you get an extension of stay. You will be doing border runs and as you leave on day 90 the latest don't do 90 day reports.

If you are on a multiple entry visa, you must exit the country every 90 days - border run. Any one of the 90 day entries can be extended during the last 30 days of validity for 1 year and then you would only have to do 90 day reports, not leave the country. You must meet the financial requirements to be able to extend which is have at least 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for at least 2 months prior to application (a letter from the Bank is required) "or" have at least 40k baht per month income - you must get an income affidavit from your embassy in Thailand (what proof differs depending on your Embassy's requirements. The extension costs 1900 baht and must be done at the immigration office responsible for the area where you live in Thailand.

A visa is like a bus ticket! It only allows you to enter Thailand, the length of time that you are allowed to stay is determined by the immigration officer at the entry point and is stamped into your passport.. A 1 year multiple entry Non-O visa (based on marriage) allows you to enter/reneter Thailand as many times as you want during the period that the VISA is valid. Each time you enter/reenter you should be given 90 days permission to stay. At or before the end of the 90 day period you must exit Thailand. You can do a border run and exit and reenter on the same day and get another 90 days. There is no provision for you to do 90 day reports in Thailand.

Any entry can EXTENDED for 1 year based on marriage if you meet the requirements - usually during the last 30 days of your permission to stay. This is an EXTENSION of your permission to stay, not a new VISA. If you want to exit Thailand during that 1 year period you must purchase a reentry permit to keep the validity of your 1 year permission to stay - single 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht. During that 1 year period you are required to report your address to immigration every 90 days that you are continuously in Thailand (90 day reports), but you do not have to exit the country. I've been in Thailand for 15 years and haven't exited since 2004 but report my address to immigration every 90 days by submitting a TM 47 form - no charge.

So if you are married to a Thai you can do it either way, but if you are using a multiple entry visa you must do border runs, if you are using an extension of stay based on marriage you only have to do 90 day reports at you "local" immigration office.

Terminology is what's confusing. The visa is only a ticket to enter. Immigration determines how long you can stay based on the type of visa or whether you apply and qualify for a 1 year extension - marriage, retirement, etc.

After getting an EXTENSION for 1 year based on marriage, what would be the penalties for someone who doesn't report their address to immigration on their first (2) scheduled 90 day report days?

Edited by Ahnsahn

After getting an EXTENSION for 1 year based on marriage, what would be the penalties for someone who doesn't report their address to immigration on their first (2) scheduled 90 day report days?

The fine would be 2,000 Baht

2,000 baht fine is normal if more than 7 days late (you can report 15 days early until 7 days late). Can be up to 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day until paid by law.

Thanks for that info!