Ubuntu/zorin Compatible Desktop Pcs

doctormann

Hi

I could use a bit of advice guys so please help if you can.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Lenovo Z370 laptop and I've been pretty impressed with it. There have only been a couple of minor issues and those were easily resolved.

I'm about to retire my dinosaur of a WinXP desktop machine (2004 vintage but it has had a few upgrades since then). I see no real reason to stick with Windows for my replacement machine so I'm considering getting something that will run either Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Zorin 6. As I understand it, Zorin is effectively Ubuntu anyway so anything that will run one should be able to run the other.

I don't need a 'top-end' machine as I am not a gamer but I do mess about with CPU/RAM intensive stuff so I need a fast processor (Intel i5 or i7) and as much RAM as I can reasonably cram into the box - at least 8GB and preferably more. I don't really need an expensive graphics card. A lot of USB ports would be useful - some USB3 would be good but not essential. I have taken a look at the InvadeIT site and there are some HP and Acer models on there that look interesting (no other makes though except for one of their own). I am a bit concerned about Linux compatibility though - looking on the various Ubuntu support sites hasn't helped very much in this respect.

So, has anyone got any specific recommendations for Desktop machines that will run Ubuntu/Zorin with few, or preferably no issues? Just as important, are there any specific makes / models that are best avoided?

Thanks,

DM

I've installed all recent iterations of Ubuntu on all types of machines and have have found the only the oldest of PCs won't support it. My most recent install was a headless server 10.10 64 bit on an i5 with 16 gb ram. Runs like a top. USB should not be an issue at all.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Thaivisa Connect App

Might be worth trying the zorin forums too - wolfman is always there.

In case you weren't aware, zorin 6.1 lite became available ~ 2 weeks ago,

boots in 70% of the time required by zorin 6 full monty.

And then there is the new bodhi, 10% faster still. AA

Installed many version of Ubuntu and Mint and noticed that if you run weekly updates it is just a matter of time that your PC / laptop doesn't work anymore because of a software conflict.

Now I install Ubuntu or Mint, run the update and after that disable updates.

A few weeks ago, installed Ubuntu & Cacti working fine, did an update (yes I should have know better) and never was able to use it anymore.

I have three CentOS servers but will never update them, to dangerous that they will not boot anymore / stop working properly.

Microsoft Windows is the opposite - always run the update, never a problem - Linux don't do it!

• Like 1

I've nicknamed 12.04 Ubuntu Apocalypse. Same laptop, 10.04 worked fine. 11.04 had some quirks so I stayed with 10. 12.04 and the device drivers got temperamental: sometimes they didn't work, sometimes they did, and when they did would go sideways after a bit. It's kernel-level, same problems with all U-based distributions.

Time to give Debian a spin.

#4, thanks for the tip.

Never update, not even after six months?

I have been using Mint for about three years now, prefer it vs. Ubuntu. Before that tried most of the major distros, settled on the Debian branch. The Mint Cinnamon interface is excellent and I prefer it over the previous Gnome and far more than Unity. Good community for help if needed. Have installed Ubuntu and/or Mint on some 30 computers so far and look forward to more.

I run Ubuntu on various computers (netbook, laptop, home PC, several office PCs, servers, plus a lab of 40 PCs) and I haven't experienced problems that are common across those computers. Except for the laptops, none are brand-name PCs (e.g. Acer, HP): they all are built from reasonably standard components (e.g. Intel CPUs, Asus/Gigabute MB, cheap RAM). It sounds like you don't require any special hardware, and that Ubuntu and most common distros will work fine.

One problem I experience too often on my home PC is a graphics card hang. Usually when kids are playing Flash or other simple games. I have a i3-540 and using the on-board Intel graphics. Although the hardware should be more than capable for what I want, I've got a feeling xorg/Compiz or similar is the problem. I'm starting to think I should've just got a cheap GPU. At office, I also use onboard graphics as well (i5-3570k) and no problems yet (but obviously no games).

On a lab of 40 PCs I had some problems with LAN cards but turned out to be a driver problem that could be overcome (using 3 LAN cards, and Ubuntu selected the wrong driver for 2 of them).

Other than that I can't think of any incompatible hardware in the past few years (oh, wireless LAN cards, but I assume you won't have one on your desktop). I haven't tried Mint/Zorin, nor other distros for awhile, but I'd think hardware support should be about the same (especially Debian-based systems).

Sounds like you are looking for a brand name, which is fine. But if you've got the time, why not select your own parts and even assemble it yourself? I've done this recently, and found it to be a great learning experience.

BTW I have regular (and in most cases automatic security) updates on all my machines. Again, not a problem.

As #10 says, find a place that sells parts and assembles the systems. If you buy all your parts from one dealer they may assemble it for free, or a small fee. You can check for supported hardware before committing. The attitude of the person you'll be dealing with is important, tell him/her what it is you have in mind. If he just wants a quick "you pay now!" transaction you're in the wrong place.

If you're thinking of doing this in Panthip stick with the places on the upper floors.

Hey, good lead-in, those guy might give you a mouse pad for your trouble biggrin.png

In my experience with Panthip the higher the floor the lower the prices, also less hustle and quick-sale tactics. Eg, a few weeks ago a 16Gb Kingston pen drive was 300b upstairs, same model was 550b on first floor. I usually get the elevator to the top floor and work my way down.