School: Yupparaj Wittayalai Need Some Information

ripstanley

My 14 year old stepdaughter is keen to attend the above school. I have googled it and only came up with Thai link. I cannot read Thai.There is an English programe but I would like more information. Is there any member in Chaing Mai that has a child attending who can give me their comments. I live inear Phayao so a little way away. Thanks in advance

I have not had children in the school but am familiar with it and have friends who have had children graduate from the school and go on to university.

It is THE best government school in the city. My understanding is that unless you live within the school's attendance district, it is very difficult for a student to gain admittance, which is by competitive exam for a very limited number of places. There is, I believe, an application form that is available from the school office where you could certainly ask more about admission requirements and the various programs.

Has both Thai and English programs. You need to explore this better for what is most suitable for the girl.

The new school year begins next April-May so you have plenty of time to learn more.

Good luck to her!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

I have not had children in the school but am familiar with it and have friends who have had children graduate from the school and go on to university.

It is THE best government school in the city. My understanding is that unless you live within the school's attendance district, it is very difficult for a student to gain admittance, which is by competitive exam for a very limited number of places. There is, I believe, an application form that is available from the school office where you could certainly ask more about admission requirements and the various programs.

Has both Thai and English programs. You need to explore this better for what is most suitable for the girl.

The new school year begins next April-May so you have plenty of time to learn more.

Good luck to her!

like Mapguy said

It is said to be the best in Chiang Mai

but in my opinion Pinkarat is better in language (if you can afford their payment , force you to be a holder of stocks to be able to attend)

have an English program , but not that much of and English

it's for a Thai students who have a gift at language would have a special separated classes and course and teachers would teach subjects in quite "half" English (Thai teachers speaking English , that's why I call "half")

with an extra English classes (Two or three times) teaches by farang teacher.

you can judge their quality from my grammar (shame to say this) I grad from there for 3 or 4 years now. normal program. worst class in a whole.

• Like 1

> It is said to be the best in Chiang Mai

It was always the main Mathayom school in Chiang Mai. My wife was a student there, so I suggested it also for our daughter, becoming a 'Dek Yup' like her mom.. However she considered it to have gone downhill, specifically because it (has to) cater to kids actually living in the area.. which these days includes a lot of migrants, hilltribes and so on, meaning the original somewhat upper-middle class vibe is lost. Not sure this would be as much of an issue to me as it apparantly is to her, but there you go.

Yupparaj1958.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

specifically because it (has to) cater to kids actually living in the area.. which these days includes a lot of migrants, hilltribes and so on, meaning the original somewhat upper-middle class vibe is lost.

Even if this is true, in practice it's not happening.

That sounds encouraging. Do you (or anyone else) know which specific area of residence makes children eligible to attend Yupparaj? Would the Wat Gate subdistrict be included?

I think an English program would just make the step to a Thai university that much harder, unless you stick to English/International programs all the way through. (Or plan to leave Thailand at some point)

Care to share your reasoning behind this nonsense?

Entrance exams, for example to CMU are in Thai. If you have taken most subjects in teh curriculum in English then you are less familiar (and therefore at a disadvantage) to kids who have studied the same topics in Thai. (Note: In case you're going to disagree with that reasoning then I'd like to hear why; something more explanatory in nature than dismissing it as nonsense.)

• Like 1

It is not a bad idea to ask what the longer-range educational goals are. At 14, many girls simply want to go to school where their best friends are going, or want to go.

My initial response was based on the assumption that the step-daughter was heading for a government school. Yupparij has a significant reputation as a good school compared with the rest of them, but it is not the only one. There is another government school located near the SW corner of the moat on Bunruang Road (the road that runs north on the west face of the moat). It also has a relatively good reputation, and admission is also competitive.

A fuller (but definitely not comprehensive) list follows. It includes some private schools, as well. The private schools of course are more costly.

Among these schools, some of whom are very well-established, you'll find the CMU Demonstration School. That is a special case because admission is highly competitive and favors CMU faculty children. It has a reputation of being a "university exam prep school."

Anpong School 66 53 849573

T. Mae Fag,

A. Sansai,

Chiang Mai 50290

web.school.net.th/banpongschool

Chiang Mai Demonstration School ( Satit CMU ) 66 53 944207

239 Huai Kaew Rd.,

T. Suthep,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 221285

www.satitcmu.ac.th

Dara Academy 66 53 300473-8

196 Kaew Nawarat,

T. Wat Ket,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Fax: 66 53 249152

www.dara.ac.th

Hopra School 66 53 then 221419, 416305, 416306

15 Singharat Rd.,

T. Phra Singh,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 217063

Kawila Wittayalai School 66 53 246166, 66 53 244628

200 Moo 5,

Mahidon Rd.,

T. Tha Sala,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Fax: 66 53 247724

www.kwc.ac.th

Kowittamrong Chiang Mai School 66 53 221793, 66 53 221537

73 Chang Phuak Rd.,

T. Sri Phum,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 404222

Kumthianganusorn School 66 53 234189

11 Post Office Rd.,

T. Chang Moi,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Metta Suksa School 66 53 814570

103 Phrapokklow Rd.,

T. Phra Singh,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

www.metta.ac.th

Montfort CM School 66 53 276682, 66 53 274641-2, 66 53 282072

269 Charoen Prathet Rd.,

T. Chang Moi,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 274640

www.montfort.ac.th

Montfort College 245570-5

118/2 Mahidon Rd.,

T. Tha Sala,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Fax: 66 53 245571

www.montfort.ac.th

Nawamindhrachudhit Payap School 66 53 210806

T. Don Kaew,

A. Mae Rim,

Chiang Mai 50180

Fax: 66 53 210807

web.school.net.th/nawamindhrachudhit-payap

Pingkarattara School 66 53 302856-7

9 Montri Rd.,

T. Wat Ket,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Regina Coeli College 66 53 818771-2

166 Charoen Prathet Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 281838

www.thai.net/regina

Sacred Heart School 66 53 276087, 66 53 282383

255 Charoen Prathet Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 274146

www.sch.ac.th

Sirimangkalanusorn School 66 53 221244

10 Hassadhisewee Rd.,

T. Sri Phum,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 404036

www.thai.net/sirimaungkala

The Prince Royal's College 66 53 242038, 66 53 242550

117 Kaewnawarat Rd.,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

www.prc.ac.th

Wattanothaipayap School 66 53 276430

2 Bunruangrit Rd.,

T. Hai Ya,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 277452

www.wattano.ac.th

Yupparaj Wittayalai School 66 53 419037-9

238 Phrapokklow Rd.,

T. Sri Phum,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

We can debate the relative merits of Thai and English programs --- or whether or not a school is past its upper-middle class prime --- until the cows come home, but it is understandable that students who follow the Thai curriculum will most likely have an easier time on the Thai university entrance exams. Keep in mind, however, due to the coming integration of the ASEAN community, the emphasis on English language ability is a key goal of the Thai Ministry of Education. It is now very heavily stressed, and it truly of great concern for the future. This is beginning to have a significant impact on education at all levels in Thailand.

There have been lists of government schools posted on TV CM in past years, but I have been too lazy to search for them!

Entrance exams, for example to CMU are in Thai. If you have taken most subjects in teh curriculum in English then you are less familiar (and therefore at a disadvantage) to kids who have studied the same topics in Thai. (Note: In case you're going to disagree with that reasoning then I'd like to hear why; something more explanatory in nature than dismissing it as nonsense.)

It's not nonsensical now you've added context to your statement. :)

My evidence against your reasoning would be that I've never known one of our M6 EP students to fail the CMU entrance exam and usually at least 50% of our graduates continue their studies there.

Even though they study on an English Program, their first language is Thai. This means that the new vocabulary is constantly being translated and their cognitive reasoning, I'm sure, is carried out in their native language.

It is not a bad idea to ask what the longer-range educational goals are. At 14, many girls simply want to go to school where their best friends are going, or want to go.

My initial response was based on the assumption that the step-daughter was heading for a government school. Yupparij has a significant reputation as a good school compared with the rest of them, but it is not the only one. There is another government school located near the SW corner of the moat on Bunruang Road (the road that runs north on the west face of the moat). It also has a relatively good reputation, and admission is also competitive.

A fuller (but definitely not comprehensive) list follows. It includes some private schools, as well. The private schools of course are more costly.

Among these schools, some of whom are very well-established, you'll find the CMU Demonstration School. That is a special case because admission is highly competitive and favors CMU faculty children. It has a reputation of being a "university exam prep school."

Anpong School 66 53 849573

T. Mae Fag,

A. Sansai,

Chiang Mai 50290

web.school.net.th/banpongschool

Chiang Mai Demonstration School ( Satit CMU ) 66 53 944207

239 Huai Kaew Rd.,

T. Suthep,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 221285

www.satitcmu.ac.th

Dara Academy 66 53 300473-8

196 Kaew Nawarat,

T. Wat Ket,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Fax: 66 53 249152

www.dara.ac.th

Hopra School 66 53 then 221419, 416305, 416306

15 Singharat Rd.,

T. Phra Singh,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 217063

Kawila Wittayalai School 66 53 246166, 66 53 244628

200 Moo 5,

Mahidon Rd.,

T. Tha Sala,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Fax: 66 53 247724

www.kwc.ac.th

Kowittamrong Chiang Mai School 66 53 221793, 66 53 221537

73 Chang Phuak Rd.,

T. Sri Phum,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 404222

Kumthianganusorn School 66 53 234189

11 Post Office Rd.,

T. Chang Moi,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Metta Suksa School 66 53 814570

103 Phrapokklow Rd.,

T. Phra Singh,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

www.metta.ac.th

Montfort CM School 66 53 276682, 66 53 274641-2, 66 53 282072

269 Charoen Prathet Rd.,

T. Chang Moi,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 274640

www.montfort.ac.th

Montfort College 245570-5

118/2 Mahidon Rd.,

T. Tha Sala,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Fax: 66 53 245571

www.montfort.ac.th

Nawamindhrachudhit Payap School 66 53 210806

T. Don Kaew,

A. Mae Rim,

Chiang Mai 50180

Fax: 66 53 210807

web.school.net.th/nawamindhrachudhit-payap

Pingkarattara School 66 53 302856-7

9 Montri Rd.,

T. Wat Ket,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Regina Coeli College 66 53 818771-2

166 Charoen Prathet Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 281838

www.thai.net/regina

Sacred Heart School 66 53 276087, 66 53 282383

255 Charoen Prathet Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 274146

www.sch.ac.th

Sirimangkalanusorn School 66 53 221244

10 Hassadhisewee Rd.,

T. Sri Phum,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

Fax: 66 53 404036

www.thai.net/sirimaungkala

The Prince Royal's College 66 53 242038, 66 53 242550

117 Kaewnawarat Rd.,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

www.prc.ac.th

Wattanothaipayap School 66 53 276430

2 Bunruangrit Rd.,

T. Hai Ya,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Fax: 66 53 277452

www.wattano.ac.th

Yupparaj Wittayalai School 66 53 419037-9

238 Phrapokklow Rd.,

T. Sri Phum,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50200

We can debate the relative merits of Thai and English programs --- or whether or not a school is past its upper-middle class prime --- until the cows come home, but it is understandable that students who follow the Thai curriculum will most likely have an easier time on the Thai university entrance exams. Keep in mind, however, due to the coming integration of the ASEAN community, the emphasis on English language ability is a key goal of the Thai Ministry of Education. It is now very heavily stressed, and it truly of great concern for the future. This is beginning to have a significant impact on education at all levels in Thailand.

There have been lists of government schools posted on TV CM in past years, but I have been too lazy to search for them!

Thanks again for your detailed reply. Your first line is correct. Her best friend will be doing the entrance exam. She will also be doing it. If she does not succeed she will be staying in Phayao

I heard that Sathip, Price Royal College, Regini Coeli and Monfort were judged as the best Thai schools in that order. Problem with discussing schools is stakeholders, namely teachers or parents with children in particular schools, they will claim them to be the best as they use them, ego stroking I suppose. Sort of like different motorbikes or cars, funny how the one you have is the best brand.

It's not nonsensical now you've added context to your statement. smile.png

My evidence against your reasoning would be that I've never known one of our M6 EP students to fail the CMU entrance exam and usually at least 50% of our graduates continue their studies there.

Even though they study on an English Program, their first language is Thai. This means that the new vocabulary is constantly being translated and their cognitive reasoning, I'm sure, is carried out in their native language.

That sounds very good..! Which school is that? Yupparaj or another school with an EP?

I heard that Sathip, Price Royal College, Regini Coeli and Monfort were judged as the best Thai schools in that order. Problem with discussing schools is stakeholders, namely teachers or parents with children in particular schools, they will claim them to be the best as they use them, ego stroking I suppose. Sort of like different motorbikes or cars, funny how the one you have is the best brand.

The schools you have mentioned are, relatively speaking, good schools, but they are not really in quite the same category as the original school considered.

I have no stake in any of these schools myself. I don't have a problem with a factual response from a proponent of a particular school. That, in a forum, can unfortunately be a lot to ask on some gut issues! All in all, there is always some subjectivity in such a discussion. Parents and children are different, looking for different things in education.

I only really wince when egregious marketing is substituted for considered comment about schools or when so many (it seems) school evaluations contributed on past threads seem to be based on how nice the teachers are or how happy their children are --- and not much else. These aren't very thoughtful criteria in evaluating the value of a school or the education being provided.

In the end, of course, it mainly depends upon the parents' educational level, helpful discipline and and thoughtful participation in what the child is doing. If you fob a child off on a school without taking parental responsibility in being involved with what is going on, then the child's education is bound to be weakened.

• Like 2