Visa Required For Driver Licence

tezzainoz

Hope someone can help me with this question

12 months ago my friend with help from his Thai wife got a Thai drivers licence on a Consular issued 2 month visa

Now I wish to do the same but on the web site it says I can only do if I have a non immigration Visa

To my understanding these are only issued to special people and not to your average westerner that visits Thailand

this trip is only a 4 week trip before High season, so I not want to sopend the money if it will not enable me to go for a Thai drivers licence

help and advice please

The rules are you need a non-O, however I got a license on a tourist visa in the back and beyond Issan.

Places in the tourist areas do stick to the non-O rules.

Not always. After having looked at my passport, they were willing to start the application here in Phuket with me being on a visa waiver.

Then the stumbling block become that one of the two licenses I have (each one correlated with the International driver permit), was to expire 'too soon', that is about six months.

And the other, the USA one, did not carry an issue date stamp.

At that point, I having lost enough money and time already (hospital visit + rental receipt + immigration office letter), I gave up, and I'm still here to this dayd driving happily and legally with my foreign licenses.

The rules are you need a non-O, however I got a license on a tourist visa in the back and beyond Issan.

Places in the tourist areas do stick to the non-O rules.

Not always. After having looked at my passport, they were willing to start the application here in Phuket with me being on a visa waiver.

Then the stumbling block become that one of the two licenses I have (each one correlated with the International driver permit), was to expire 'too soon', that is about six months.

And the other, the USA one, did not carry an issue date stamp.

At that point, I having lost enough money and time already (hospital visit + rental receipt + immigration office letter), I gave up, and I'm still here to this dayd driving happily and legally with my foreign licenses.

a 6 month validity on a foreign license does not stop you getting a Thai DL, either does an issue date stamp....someone is talking <deleted> to you and how long have you been here driving on your foreign license ?...as if you class yourself as resident, you are not legal either..

Op: Don't understand why you worry about a Thai licence, if you're only here for 4 weeks... get yourself an international driver licence from your home country and you'll be set to rent and drive for that time...

My comments where I am only here for 4 weeks this trip

But I need a Thai licence

But not to drive a car

I thai licence has many uses was beyond that which it is meant to be used for

so what I get from the replies a consulate tourist visa we do the trick depending on who takes the application

but not to the letter of the law

so a trip to Koen Ken would be the way to go

Op: Don't understand why you worry about a Thai licence, if you're only here for 4 weeks... get yourself an international driver licence from your home country and you'll be set to rent and drive for that time...

But not to drive a car

so what I get from the replies a consulate tourist visa we do the trick depending on who takes the application

Clear as mud !sick.gif

a 6 month validity on a foreign license does not stop you getting a Thai DL, either does an issue date stamp....someone is talking <deleted> to you

Then that someone would be a very kind and patient lady manager ad the Phuket driver license office. She could not accept these documents.

and how long have you been here driving on your foreign license ?...as if you class yourself as resident, you are not legal either..

As mentioned in my post ... on a visa waiver = 37 days at the most = non resident and I never classified myself as much.

Edited by paz

But not to drive a car

As I said my licence was from Issan but a very small town. Khon Kaen may not give you a licence, you need to check before hand.

But not to drive a car

Share with us some other uses of a Thai licence. I have a Thai licence and I thought I could only use it for driving a car in Thailand.

• Like 1

But not to drive a car

Share with us some other uses of a Thai licence. I have a Thai licence and I thought I could only use it for driving a car in Thailand.

Sadly in Thailand there is Thai price and Farlang Price

Once you have a Thai Licence in 80$ of things I do they accept you at Thai price

You will also find you can get better insurance rates if you hold a Thai licence over a Western Licence

In the Village the Thai wife holds her head higher i her man has a Thai licence, suddenly again prices drop and the Farlang must pay is not the call of the day, because you are in their eyes now commited to Thailand

The list goes on and on,

There is real life out side the bars in Thailand

you may want to try it, its a great place to live

Each office you go to will have different interpretations of the law. If at first you don't succeed, just go to a different office.

They were all set to give me a renewal in Au Udom w/o taking any tests, but they were going to do it on a paper license. Their hard plastic card machine was broken. I didn't fancy having a 5 year license made of paper.

I went to Chonburi city and got it done in plastic, but I had to take the test and watch the cautionary video too.

All this was done on a tourist visa BTW.

But not to drive a car

Sadly in Thailand there is Thai price and Farlang Price

Once you have a Thai Licence in 80$ of things I do they accept you at Thai price

You will also find you can get better insurance rates if you hold a Thai licence over a Western Licence

In the Village the Thai wife holds her head higher i her man has a Thai licence, suddenly again prices drop and the Farlang must pay is not the call of the day, because you are in their eyes now commited to Thailand

The list goes on and on,

There is real life out side the bars in Thailand

you may want to try it, its a great place to live

Wow, I didn't think that my honest and genuine question deserved such a smack on the wrist. Since you know of the real life outside of the bars in Thailand, being here only as a tourist while the rest of us actually live here, you should have known the answer to your own question. Was going to refer you to a post I made about getting a driving licence here on a tourist visa but I think I'll just let you use the search function instead.

Dual pricing ...On some things not all things

Better insurance rates....Nope

As regards the status thing...only one repsonse to that one...cheesy.gif

One might suggest you get out the village a bit more...whistling.gif

Each office you go to will have different interpretations of the law. If at first you don't succeed, just go to a different office.

They were all set to give me a renewal in Au Udom w/o taking any tests, but they were going to do it on a paper license. Their hard plastic card machine was broken. I didn't fancy having a 5 year license made of paper.

I went to Chonburi city and got it done in plastic, but I had to take the test and watch the cautionary video too.

All this was done on a tourist visa BTW.

Thanks I will take this into my plan

Last time I went to hire a carat Udon airport, there was a 30% discount on the insurance if I held a Thai licence, so we put in one the wife's licence and got the 30% discount

As per FACE I will not argue with you there, but sadly the Thai wife does not see the same as you, and I have to live with her, not you ha ha

Get out of the village

Oh my got I hide my wallet every time she mentions the word

Last time I went to hire a carat Udon airport, there was a 30% discount on the insurance if I held a Thai licence, so we put in one the wife's licence and got the 30% discount

As per FACE I will not argue with you there, but sadly the Thai wife does not see the same as you, and I have to live with her, not you ha ha

Get out of the village

If you are in or near Udon, hold a full & International licence go to the driving school on the Nong Sai road with passport address and medical certificate and for about 3-4000 Baht they will do all the leg work for you and sort you out.

Get out of the village

If you are in or near Udon, hold a full & International licence go to the driving school on the Nong Sai road with passport address and medical certificate and for about 3-4000 Baht they will do all the leg work for you and sort you out.

THB 4000 for a THB 500 DL...I am in the wrong business...blink.png

I guess if you don't want to go to the bother of sitting for the test for whatever reason, it might be worth it. I failed first time around because I'm colour blind, the second time I had my Thai lady off to one side calling out the colours for me. Mind you, the tester said if she did it again he'd fail me, but I got passed anyway. When my 5 years is up I'd be happy to pay the 4000 baht to get another 5 years, rather than rely on trying to guess my way through.

I guess if you don't want to go to the bother of sitting for the test for whatever reason, it might be worth it. I failed first time around because I'm colour blind, the second time I had my Thai lady off to one side calling out the colours for me. Mind you, the tester said if she did it again he'd fail me, but I got passed anyway. When my 5 years is up I'd be happy to pay the 4000 baht to get another 5 years, rather than rely on trying to guess my way through.

You see in black and white ?....

I am red/green deficient, which some people call colour blindness and I had no problem with the Thai "colour blindness" test, however if I do the Hiroshi test, I cannt pass it, I have been told if you get a pair of glasses with red tinted lens, you will pass Hiroshi, dont knoe how true this is as never tried it

You see in black and white ?....

I am red/green deficient, which some people call colour blindness and I had no problem with the Thai "colour blindness" test, however if I do the Hiroshi test, I cannt pass it, I have been told if you get a pair of glasses with red tinted lens, you will pass Hiroshi, dont knoe how true this is as never tried it

I have a problem distinguishing red/blue/green (otherwise known as colour blindness), especially on those colour charts. The glasses with red tinted lens to solve the problem is just an urban myth. I can distinguish most colours on their own, but if they are mixed in with whole lot of multi-coloured dots, I have a problem, and there's no way you can fake a test like that.