Personal Benefit Will Always Defeat Moral Integrity: Thai Editorial

webfact

The editorial is preposterous rubbish. It never occurred to this editor once that the reasons that the reason "Thais too easily forgive and forget" is because the newspapers let these issues drop under pressure, incompetence, or plain unwillingness to do follow up and investigative journalism and pound the table.

There are countless examples and illustrations of shoddy journalism and no presence of good reporting on numerous cases. Just pick up a copy of The Nation and select a story that should be grounds for following the law and right and wrong. When the offenders know that the newspapers won't follow up if they are privileged, then all they have to do is wait it out or get the newspaper to divert to another topic. The hypocrisy is preposterous.

As a case in point, take the Red Bull Ferrari case of cop killing, obstruction of justice, hit and run, drunk driving, bribery, corruption and abuse of power. What happened to that case? Where are the indictments? Where is the relentless newspaper follow up? Get serious The Nation, the newspaper is a farce. There is a powerful flatulence pervading the editorial offices of The Nation. and everyone know it and smells it.

The media is often paid off to print or not print.

The shameless, money hungry editors are just as corrupt as the cops & lawyers.

• Like 1

The Temple inherited this land and did not want to keep it, no?

Did they sell it at a fair price or not?

They aren't supposed to sell it.

When someone leaves land to a temple, they do so for religious reasons/making merit. I don't think the idea is to build houses and a golf course.

Just a matter of respecting the wishes of the person that died & left them the land.

• Like 1

Advanced Members

856 posts

Posted 49 minutes ago

POPULAR

The editorial is preposterous rubbish. It never occurred to this editor once that the reasons that the reason "Thais too easily forgive and forget" is because the newspapers let these issues drop under pressure, incompetence, or plain unwillingness to do follow up and investigative journalism and pound the table.

There are countless examples and illustrations of shoddy journalism and no presence of good reporting on numerous cases. Just pick up a copy of The Nation and select a story that should be grounds for following the law and right and wrong. When the offenders know that the newspapers won't follow up if they are privileged, then all they have to do is wait it out or get the newspaper to divert to another topic. The hypocrisy is preposterous.

As a case in point, take the Red Bull Ferrari case of cop killing, obstruction of justice, hit and run, drunk driving, bribery, corruption and abuse of power. What happened to that case? Where are the indictments? Where is the relentless newspaper follow up? Get serious The Nation, the newspaper is a farce. There is a powerful flatulence pervading the editorial offices of The Nation. and everyone know it and smells it.

Thai at Heart, Orac, clockman and 3 others like this Like This Unlike

. And so you think the newspapers are at fault for Thailand's lack of justice!!! WOW you sure have your thinking cap on a different side than I have mine.

When someone leaves land to a temple, they do so for religious reasons/making merit. I don't think the idea is to build houses and a golf course.

Just a matter of respecting the wishes of the person that died & left them the land.

I remember reading about this when it happened.

The head Monk said the Temple could not afford to keep the land is was reported.

It did seem suspicious that insiders picked up this property.

Curious if the Temple got a fair price or not?

Advanced Members

856 posts

Posted 49 minutes ago

POPULAR

. And so you think the newspapers are at fault for Thailand's lack of justice!!! WOW you sure have your thinking cap on a different side than I have mine.

In a rather more democratic society (and one where you don't get killed, if you step on someone's toes) the media should play a role as a kind of guardian. There are examples that this happened in the world- the most famous case being "Watergate".

Can you imagine something like that happening in Thailand?

Neither can I!

It may not be the ultimate fault of the media, that Thailand is a failed, corrupt state.

But they could provide a wake- up call!

• Like 1

Advanced Members

856 posts

Posted 49 minutes ago

POPULAR

I think he has a fair point. If the cases were regularly followed up by newspapers and TV then the people would be more aware of the rampant corruption and be able to make more informed decision, especially when voting. I

It's almost a feudal society. Control the media and maintain a relatively low standard of education to keep the masses under control.

Advanced Members

856 posts

Posted 49 minutes ago

POPULAR

In a rather more democratic society (and one where you don't get killed, if you step on someone's toes) the media should play a role as a kind of guardian. There are examples that this happened in the world- the most famous case being "Watergate".

Neither can I!

It may not be the ultimate fault of the media, that Thailand is a failed, corrupt state.

You are right - the media plays an important part in democratic society. Just as an independent judiciary and effective, efficient, ethical law enforcement do.

One of the issues here does seem to be a lack of response to any wake-up calls. People in many countires have woken up this year to the fact that they don't have to put up with corrupt, immoral, inept, dictators and their gangs milking their country.

• Like 1

Advanced Members

856 posts

Posted 49 minutes ago

POPULAR

Neither can I!

You are right - the media plays an important part in democratic society. Just as an independent judiciary and effective, efficient, ethical law enforcement do.

One of the issues here does seem to be a lack of response to any wake-up calls. People in many countires have woken up this year to the fact that they don't have to put up with corrupt, immoral, inept, dictators and their gangs milking their country.

I think both posts are being a bit unfair to the local media. They have to tread very warily with the criminal slant to defamation laws here. Yes, they don't follow up on major cases of corruption, but methinks there would be no space left for current news if there was a serious effort to follow up all the (hundreds?) of sizable cases of corruption.

Influential people such as pollies, senior bureaucrats, police, military & even business leaders are very quick to resort to the courts if they are named in any way. Remember that Thaksin tried & failed, luckily, to silence/buy both English language dailies when he topped the 'case filing' charts.

Yes, the media could do better, but don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 2

Advanced Members

856 posts

Posted 49 minutes ago

POPULAR

Neither can I!

I think both posts are being a bit unfair to the local media. They have to tread very warily with the criminal slant to defamation laws here. Yes, they don't follow up on major cases of corruption, but methinks there would be no space left for current news if there was a serious effort to follow up all the (hundreds?) of sizable cases of corruption.

Influential people such as pollies, senior bureaucrats, police, military & even business leaders are very quick to resort to the courts if they are named in any way. Remember that Thaksin tried & failed, luckily, to silence/buy both English language dailies when he topped the 'case filing' charts.

Yes, the media could do better, but don't shoot the messenger.

I don't believe anyone proposed shooting the messenger.

What is being recommended is a Backbone implant !

• Like 1

I remember reading about this when it happened.

The head Monk said the Temple could not afford to keep the land is was reported.

It did seem suspicious that insiders picked up this property.

Curious if the Temple got a fair price or not?

'Insider' land deal trading indeed.... seems to be a bit of a Thai thing.

Personal benefit will always defeat moral integrity

We seem to be wandering into criticism of the actions of the press, (especially from those who have an axe to grind against The Nation).

I agree that change should come from the bottom up. The people at the top who suffer from the malaise of 'lack of moral integrity = personal benefit' will not do anything to change it.

Don't forget, the ruling party wants to remove the concept of 'rule of law'. Hardly a recipe for success. If low morals had any 'check mechanism' before, it was via the (albeit flawed) legal system.

My wife's daughter is in her mid-teens and I was more than pleasantly surprised to learn that she was aware of what corruption is, the fact that it is rampant in Thailand and that she is dead against it. Considering my wife has the 'up-to-them' philosophy, there may be a glimmer of hope for the future.

After all, it's the people who put these criminals in their positions of power, via the ballot box.

• Like 2

Personal benefit will always defeat moral integrity

We seem to be wandering into criticism of the actions of the press, (especially from those who have an axe to grind against The Nation).

I agree that change should come from the bottom up. The people at the top who suffer from the malaise of 'lack of moral integrity = personal benefit' will not do anything to change it.

Don't forget, the ruling party wants to remove the concept of 'rule of law'. Hardly a recipe for success. If low morals had any 'check mechanism' before, it was via the (albeit flawed) legal system.

My wife's daughter is in her mid-teens and I was more than pleasantly surprised to learn that she was aware of what corruption is, the fact that it is rampant in Thailand and that she is dead against it. Considering my wife has the 'up-to-them' philosophy, there may be a glimmer of hope for the future.

After all, it's the people who put these criminals in their positions of power, via the ballot box.

But after all it's the crooked politicians that persuade the people to put them in a position of power, via their safe deposit box. :)

Until someone makes a genuine stance out of a patriotic love for this country and its people to stop corruption then Thailand will continue to be raped and all our discussion and disdain is academic. One can only hope there is a youngster with the embers of the 'right stuff' that will successfully negotiate the political path sometime soon. With the right leadership this country could out perform any of the others in ASEAN.