Would The Average Thai Make Any Sense Out Of The Davinci Code?

giddyup

Reason I ask is that my Thai lady is an avid reader, and she prefers falang best sellers that have been translated into Thai. Someone gave her a Thai copy of the DaVinci Code recently, and having read it myself, I would question how much of it the average Thai would understand. Not being able to read Thai I wonder if the story has been adapted to suit the Thai reader. Unless you have a grasp of European history and religion, I would imagine it would be a very confusing book to read.

She may have an advantage not knowing what we were brought up with ? having read the book and watched the movie I spent more time analysing what I'd been told in the past, some parts made me say yes that is a woman at the last supper table other parts just made it a really good read.

I do wonder about translated versions if they have the same story line.

• Like 1

According to my Thai partner the Thai version is not a proper translation of Dan Brown but -more or less- the story board of the movie made after... Same is applying with Angels & Demons, the book went out in Thai language at the same time the movie was screened.

Years back went I went to a Thai cinema, where the seats were built of wooden planks, the western movie was dubbed real time into Thai by the projectionist. In my limited Thai at the time I noticed changes to the script, with words like somtam and pla rah thrown into a Sly Stallone flic. never trusted those translations since.

Years back went I went to a Thai cinema, where the seats were built of wooden planks, the western movie was dubbed real time into Thai by the projectionist. In my limited Thai at the time I noticed changes to the script, with words like somtam and pla rah thrown into a Sly Stallone flic. never trusted those translations since.

Have you ever seen the English subtitle dialogue that's been added to a falang movie by a Thai. It can be laughable and bear absolutely no resemblance to what's being spoken.

• Like 1

She may have an advantage not knowing what we were brought up with ? having read the book and watched the movie I spent more time analysing what I'd been told in the past, some parts made me say yes that is a woman at the last supper table other parts just made it a really good read.

I agree with you, I also had to google loads of things in order to understand what's going on in the book. Without know-how of Catholic church history, it seems to be that a "regular" Thai person will not be able to understand the story bord of the book.

And looking at the differenced in the language concept between English and Thai, I can not imagine that any translation from English to Thai can bring over the story... I assume that if one is fluent in both Thai and English and would read both books, he would probably think that he reads two different stories.

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 2

The average Thai? No. As someone else said, you already know the answer. BTW if your wife is not a Christian let her know that Christians believe that Christ died on the Cross and was resurrected three days later and watch her response. My wife fell over laughing.

Edited by simple1

The average person of any nationality shouldn't be able to make sense of it because the story is so full of plot-holes it becomes rather funny. And that applies to the book just as much as to the movie.

In case anyone forgot, here is a (rather funny) summary: http://www.the-editi...avincicode.html

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The average person of any nationality shouldn't be able to make sense of it because the story is so full of plot-holes it's un-funny. And that applies to the book just as much as to the movie.

In case anyone forgot, here is a (rather funny) summary: http://www.the-editi...avincicode.html

OK, you have to suspend credibility to read the book, but I still found it entertaining, as did millions of others.

I agree with you, I also had to google loads of things in order to understand what's going on in the book. Without know-how of Catholic church history, it seems to be that a "regular" Thai person will not be able to understand the story bord of the book.

And looking at the differenced in the language concept between English and Thai, I can not imagine that any translation from English to Thai can bring over the story... I assume that if one is fluent in both Thai and English and would read both books, he would probably think that he reads two different stories.

I agree I just started Ken Follett's newest, I asked my Mum to send and it was in French, I was lost and when I say lost I gave up after 4 chapters, I asked my Dad for a copy in English- they joys of having bilingual parents, so I'll do the first 4 chapters and confirm things are lost in translation.

I agree I just started Ken Follett's newest, I asked my Mum to send and it was in French, I was lost and when I say lost I gave up after 4 chapters, I asked my Dad for a copy in English- they joys of having bilingual parents, so I'll do the first 4 chapters and confirm things are lost in translation.

I'm not sure you can compare an English/French translation to an English/Thai. The structure of Thai language is totally different, as are the cultural differences.

The average Thai? No. As someone else said, you already know the answer. BTW if your wife is not a Christian let her know that Christians believe that Christ died on the Cross and was resurrected three days later and watch her response. My wife fell over laughing.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. I was hoping that someone's Thai partner had already read the book and was able to comment. All religions ask us to suspend credibility, that's why it's called having faith. I'm not sure being resurrected is any more incredulous than walking on water, turning bread into wine etc.

All religions ask us to suspend credibility, that's why it's called having faith. I'm not sure being resurrected is any more incredulous than walking on water, turning bread into wine etc.

Or even water into wine. wink.png

Agree with your above statement.

• Like 1

All religions ask us to suspend credibility, that's why it's called having faith. I'm not sure being resurrected is any more incredulous than walking on water, turning bread into wine etc.

Or even water into wine. wink.png

Agree with your above statement.

Thanks for correcting me. Water into wine is what I meant to say, just had a senior moment.

Would The Average Thai Make Any Sense Out Of The Davinci Code

No, that's probably why they also had to rename the Mona Lisa to Labelle. sad.png

I guess there is a bit of logic to this, isnt La Belle...beautiful lady in Italian or french ?

Isnt Mona Lisa an anglicised version of the name, but the proper name in Italian is something else and would suspect if Dan Brown used the proper name, the English speaking world wouldnt know what painting he was referring to either ?

• Like 1

Would The Average Thai Make Any Sense Out Of The Davinci Code

No, that's probably why they also had to rename the Mona Lisa to Labelle. sad.png

I guess there is a bit of logic to this, isnt La Belle...beautiful lady in Italian or french ?

Isnt Mona Lisa an anglicised version of the name, but the proper name in Italian is something else and would suspect if Dan Brown used the proper name, the English speaking world wouldnt know what painting he was referring to either ?

Monna Lisa is supposedly correct, but it has been anglicised into Mona. I have no idea why it was changed to Labelle to suit the Thais though.

Monna Lisa is supposedly correct, but it has been anglicised into Mona. I have no idea why it was changed to Labelle to suit the Thais though.

Whatever Leonardo called it is fine with me.

Anyone REALLY know?

Leonardo called the picture "La Gioconda" (the joyful), as the woman in the pictures name was Lisa del Giocondo

The french call her "la Joconde" which is just a transcript from the Italien but has no further meaning

Mona Lisa (German version) is a misspeling and should be Monna Lisa (Wife Lisa - Lisa was the wife of Francesco del Giocondo)

La Belle - or belle femme - is just what the French call her colloquial

i think beautiful lady, is la belle fem,, were is the french men when you need one,,lol

but how does Labelle relate to the Thais? I would have thought Mona Lisa made just as much sense.

It proberly doesnt...but suppose you have to give them credit in trying to use a French or Italian name ?....they could have just called it "The farang lady"...biggrin.png

• Like 1