Taxi Driver Dies During Fight With Sukhumvit Mcdonald's Delivery Driver

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen the delivery guys, hanging out with young Thai street gang types. I stay regularly at a condo in Asoke and eat sometimes at McDonalds to get a sense of reality after a fun night out eating and drinking with friends or after watching a footy game.

The staff at McDonalds are really nice though, and serve some of the drunkest, most ignorant, strange, shizenhousened faces I have EVER seen... bless their patience...

I have normally always had really good experience with Taxi drivers in Suk, as I do not get into a taxi until I understand the rules of the ride. Hopefully this event does not have a long term effect on the McDonalds, it is my "normal" place in what has to be one of the most fun, but bizarre streets in the world at 3-5am, 7 days per week.

Without any comment about who was wrong and who was wronger, there is an overriding consideration for any expat to note. The concept of "fair" is a totally foreign notion, ESPECIALLY when it comes to fighting. I have tried unsuccessfully for more than ten years to learn the Thai word for "fair" and have finally given up. It is not in the language, it is not in the culture, and it is NEVER present in a fight. Do not ever expect a fair fight from a Thai, nor ever expect to motivate a Thai to do something because it is fair. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I'm just saying that this is the way it is.

The Thai word for fair is "yut thi tum." You really should change your screen name from "inquisitive" to "ignorant." More accurate that way.

You could also use mai fair. Easy

I cannot help thinking what would happen if it was a Farang riding the motorbike. Probably the line "...Many taxi drivers gathered around to help Suriya, but he had already passed away..." would have run like "..Many taxi drivers gathered around the Farang wanting him to pass away..."ermm.gif

Rubbish, the reason Thai people usually side against farangs is because farangs are almost always the aggressors.

• Like 1

I cannot help thinking what would happen if it was a Farang riding the motorbike. Probably the line "...Many taxi drivers gathered around to help Suriya, but he had already passed away..." would have run like "..Many taxi drivers gathered around the Farang wanting him to pass away..."ermm.gif

If it had been Patong, many taxi and tuk tuk drivers would have gathered around the farlang to kick him to death!

Rubbish, the reason Thai people usually side against farangs is because farangs are almost always the aggressors.

Come down to planet Phuket and see for yourself how many times tuk tuk thugs beat 1 Farang in groups. And please, spare me stories like "the farang was the one aggressive" because, having a job where I spend lot of my time with tourists, many peaceful tourists are hit just because of misunderstandings (no, I am not talking about drunk chaps in Soi Bangla at 3:00 a.m. but peaceful couples in Kata/Karon). Take your rubbish back where you left it please

Without any comment about who was wrong and who was wronger, there is an overriding consideration for any expat to note. The concept of "fair" is a totally foreign notion, ESPECIALLY when it comes to fighting. I have tried unsuccessfully for more than ten years to learn the Thai word for "fair" and have finally given up. It is not in the language, it is not in the culture, and it is NEVER present in a fight. Do not ever expect a fair fight from a Thai, nor ever expect to motivate a Thai to do something because it is fair. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I'm just saying that this is the way it is.

The Thai word for fair is "yut thi tum." You really should change your screen name from "inquisitive" to "ignorant." More accurate that way.

I think you are the ignorant one here Berkshire. What "inquisitive" says is 100% true, but I stand by what I have said, if you don't get involved with Thais in any way,etc arguing about being overcharged in a bar, then you will be about 99% safe.

true ..just stay calm and let a lot of it just go over your head ..different rationale here in los ....its not worth it ,,,saw a guy get ripped off in patpong years ago ....he became boisterous and aggressive ...there were 4 farangs within 5 feet of him ...not one of us saw who stabbed him ...on later reflection two of us concluded it was probably the young girl but we were not 100% ......

You could also try "bpentham" or even easier the Thai pronunciation of "fair". Yes, the concept exists!

Thanks. I had been looking for the thai tanslation for the word fair. I must have been as ignorant as the one who uses yut thi tum.

Rubbish, the reason that farangs usually become aggressive is because their developed minds come with a sense of fairness intact. The aggression is justified when they are being treated with Thai hospitality, regardless of the numbered odds against them.

Decent people feel secure in the fact that they can become aggressive because they intuitively (albeit mistakenly) assume that the Thais will react decently to justified outrage. This is the way it is done in developed countries. Decent and developed minds do not expect wholesale cheating, corruption and homicidal behavior from creatures that appear to be human and walk upright on their hind legs.

If the taxi driver left his cab without his knuckle duster, that might suggest he wasn't looking for a fight and that the bike rider was the aggressor.

It also might suggest that he was an idiot, hence ruling out any defense towards his person. The bike could have been a Hino, and he would have been dead that much sooner. But that is neither here nor there. The idiot didn't get it, and continued to take matters into his own hands and tempted fate twice within a span of mere minutes of avoiding injury or death. Fate - 1 / Idiot - 0. Drive like an idiot and suffer the consequences. Cause an accident and pick a fight with the person you should not have hit and suffer the consequences. This is what idiots do, and there is no reason to be made of it. Their lives are a string of one catastrophe after another. People weep for idiots only after they are dead, and yell at them when they are alive. This is strange, imbalanced behavior.

If the taxi driver left his cab without his knuckle duster, that might suggest he wasn't looking for a fight and that the bike rider was the aggressor.

It also might suggest that he was an idiot, hence ruling out any defense towards his person. The bike could have been a Hino, and he would have been dead that much sooner. But that is neither here nor there. The idiot didn't get it, and continued to take matters into his own hands and tempted fate twice within a span of mere minutes of avoiding injury or death. Fate - 1 / Idiot - 0. Drive like an idiot and suffer the consequences. Cause an accident and pick a fight with the person you should not have hit and suffer the consequences. This is what idiots do, and there is no reason to be made of it. Their lives are a string of one catastrophe after another. People weep for idiots only after they are dead, and yell at them when they are alive. This is strange, imbalanced behavior.

I prefer my theory.

• Like 1

why would a farang be delivering for Mcdonalds?

And why are you trying to shit up with an irrelevant hypothetical discussion?

No foreigner was involved. Period.

will you be heading down the list of EVERY topic on the board asking the same question?

Perhaps wee shoul

Well said!!!

What do you mean by a fair fight? What do you consider unfair?

Had I been the taxi driver, would have settled for a big mac, fries and a pepsi. How can Red and Yellow ever get along when stuff like this happens?

...and you would have got the beating you deserved.

McDonalds don't sell Pepsi.

Those cashiers can get pretty angry when you ask for a Pepsi instead of a Coke....try asking for a Whopper at McDonalds for a real beating.

Eating regularly at McDonalds can be bad for your heart's health; apparently, attacking an employee, can be worse.

One thing I like to remind to people who come to Thailand for the first time, when they comment on how placid and peaceful it looks is that the national sport consist on beating each other viciously.

There is a very thick layer of jai yen yen and the release of long repressed anger can be brutal.

Rubbish, the reason that farangs usually become aggressive is because their developed minds come with a sense of fairness intact. The aggression is justified when they are being treated with Thai hospitality, regardless of the numbered odds against them.

Decent people feel secure in the fact that they can become aggressive because they intuitively (albeit mistakenly) assume that the Thais will react decently to justified outrage. This is the way it is done in developed countries. Decent and developed minds do not expect wholesale cheating, corruption and homicidal behavior from creatures that appear to be human and walk upright on their hind legs.

I understand your reasoning, it's what most farangs think and it works fine in western nations because most people think like that there but it's not how Thai people think, and no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to convince a Thai person you're right through aggression. If you become aggressive, Thai people will automatically see you as the aggressor, it doesn't matter how right you think you are, Thai people will side against you because from Thai logic, if you were truly right, you'd be able to explain why you were right and propose an amiable solution.